More monster information

First of all I’d like to note that I am aware this is not a priority, won’t bring all that much and will probably require large amounts of work.
However, It’s an idea worth noting, and something that the players can help with.
Now, onwards to the description.

I’ve seen this done in NetHack.
Upon examining a monster, it would output the short description, with the option of choosing --more-- for a popup that would contain more information, a few hints for new players and most importantly a quote from a book regarding that monster. It’s those quotes that got me into reading Tolkien and other interesting books.

Now. Here’s an example:

Zombie. Hostile!
It is uninjured

A human body, stumbling slowly forward on uncertain legs, possessed with an unstoppable rage.

–more?-- (press M for more)

Zombie. Hostile!
It is uninjured

A human body, stumbling slowly forward on uncertain legs, possessed with an unstoppable rage.

Not exactly a threat while alone, it can still kill a new or wounded survivor. However, this particular ex-human draws strength from numbers, and is never seen far away from its buddies.
A large gathering of such things is called a “horde” and it would be rather wise to run from it.

Luckily zombies are as dumb as rocks and quite easily disposed, should you find a way of slowing them down, or some kind of method to engage them one at a time.
Zombie meat is highly toxic and should not be consumed. However, a skilled chemist may find other purposes for it.

[i]"""
I found ‘Patient Zero’ behind the locked door of an abandoned apartment across town. . . . His wrists and feet were bound with plastic packing twine. Although he’d rubbed off the skin around his bonds, there was no blood. There was also no blood on his other wounds. . . . He was writhing like an animal; a gag muffled his growls.
At first the villagers tried to hold me back. They warned me not to touch him, that he was ‘cursed.’ I shrugged them off and reached for my mask and gloves. The boy’s skin was . . . cold and gray . . . I could find neither his heartbeat nor his pulse.
His eyes were wild, wide and sunken back in their sockets. They remained locked on me like a predatory beast. Throughout the examination he was inexplicably hostile reaching for me with his bound hands and snapping at me through his gag. His movements were so violent I had to call for two of the largest villagers to help me hold him down. Initially they wouldn’t budge, cowering in the doorway like baby rabbits. I explained that there was no risk of infection if they used gloves and masks. When they shook their heads, I made it an order, even though I had no lawful authority to do so. That was all it took. The two oxen knelt beside me. One held the boy’s feet while the other grasped his hands. I tried to take a blood sample and instead extracted only brown, viscous matter. As I was withdrawing the needle, the boy began another bout of violent struggling. One of my “orderlies,” the one responsible for his arms, gave up trying to hold them and thought it might safer if he just braced them against the floor with his knees. But the boy jerked again and I heard his left arm snap. Jagged ends of both radius and ulna bones stabbed through his gray flesh. Although the boy didn’t cry out, didn’t even seem to notice, it was enough for both assistants to leap back and run from the room.

—Dr. Kwang Jingshu, Greater Chongqing, United Federation of China

Max Brooks, World War Z. An oral history of the zombie war.

“”"

[/i]

–press esc or q to return to the game–

Way too much obvious information and it kind of takes away the thrill of finding out that even after swallowing 2 adderalls and meths you cannot run away from amigara horrors.

What about finding information about enemies? For example: Finding research data on the fungaloids and their weakneses in a Science Lab that gives you a slight damage bonus. Or after killing x number of Zombies: From your experience with the undead you found out that strikes to the head are most effective +25% chance to score a headshot.

+1.
In full support of the motion.
DCSS has epic, yet again lyrical depictions of the simplest of things.
To read something written two millenia ago in a yummy roguelike is just priceless.

Yeah, I did go overboard with the hints in my example, but that can be tweaked. Or removed.
The main idea here would be the “pleasant reading” part.

There could be books you could find about some of the monsters that give you backstory on them, but no bonuses. The amigara horrors are from a anime/manga thing, can’t remember if it is a book or not, but it shows that they went through a hole on one side of the amigara mountain and came out the other as amigara horrors.

There is this feature called skills in the game. It pretty much does the samewhe you get to expert level and always hit/deal absurd ammount of damage when hit.

Yea, this kind of expanded information is something we want to do, there’s a sub-project led by elricsfate to write a bunch of text for various entities in the game. If you want to write, joing them is probably the best bet, if you just want to suggest the feature, rest easy that it’s being worked on :slight_smile: