The swappable battery storage case in vehicles is unrealistic, chain link fence fittings shouldn't disappear, NPC zone issues and behaviors

The way removal of a large storage battery from a vehicle that then requires installation of another entire part in order to reassemble feels very unrealistic, and petty/pedantic. A far more realistic mechanism would be a probability of extra wear penalty if the large storage battery is removed and reinstalled without a mechanism designed for installation and removal. This was especially annoying after starting a camp in a cleared airport, managing to install solar panels on the roof of a hanger and then not having a way to connect those panels to the vehicle. The inability to use wall wiring and proximity makes no sense. Like, does the original building not have electrical anywhere. Then I remove the batteries to toss them up on the roof with the solar panels, charge them up and can’t install them using the same exact process I used to remove them. There are ways this could be made annoyingly pedantic, and that do make sense. One might have to remove many many small batteries if they are not in an enclosure. I should also be able to toss any battery into the trunk or onto a seat and use a jumper cable to make the connection too. If the batteries can be removed, then they are wired in parallel in the vehicle, so simply connecting positive to positive and negatives together should always work. Tying down a lose battery or it acts like an occupant without a seat belt would be interesting too.

With a chain link fence, I can’t disassemble it, but there is also the discrepancy between using a hacksaw and the lack of fittings. This feels like another case of bad entropy to me. If I need to use a saw for whatever reason, I am not losing all the fittings somehow. I can see the cutting action causing a proportional loss of like 1 pipe and some wire in order to reconstruct. In the real world, the last element that is going to be lost from taking a hacksaw to a chain link fence would be the fittings.

It would be interesting to add a manual post hole digger and require it for sturdier corner post structures for a free standing corner and the option to use concrete for a much more solid corner post hole. Basically treat the corner like a building wall depending on the quality of the anchor.

In the game I went to lift a heavy broken generator to move it and found it frustrating when a follower NPC did not attempt to help and I was unable to find a mechanism to recruit their help.

I have also been unable to intuitively figure out how to get the camp follower NPC to do much of anything useful without consulting outside sources like YT, which I still have not done. In particular, I have a spot for “looted: books” but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get the NPC to read. I also feel a bit frustrated with the resolution of disassembly zones. I wish there was a “unload vehicle” zone with a trunk or entire vehicle option. I also tried to set up a disassembly zone around the benches inside an airport terminal with no success. When moving an empty vending machine, it had no effect. I imagine that “disassembly” is intended for appliances and stuff that take far longer to complete, but at the early stages of getting established it is annoying to be setting up so much without help in a first time play through with a camp and NPC. I’m glad I played a few times without any camp or NPC with me as I find this aspect frustrating. I do not want to deal with the NPC’s abysmal combat skills, competence with sub machine guns, and the inevitable ammo running out issue if I leave them to do more long range types of tasks. I’m deeply conservative in my “survival” actions and always prefer to avoid getting hurt at all instead of being aggressive. The last thing I want to deal with is risking what appears to be useless incompetence in zone and base camp setup, then going out into the wild. The wording of the ‘recruit other NPC’s’ task and a few others do not help when it basically says they will only come back after major issues. In the beginning this feels like the entire camp and followers system is a useless headache. Perhaps that is by design. I have nothing to add in suggestions here. All I can say is that the experience feels like the wrong kind of frustrating in an unrealistic way. I expect a real survivor would be far more proactive and volunteer to do what they know while also emulating what they see. If I pick up and wield a plank, and there are more planks, do the same task or it should be easy to say “repeat what I am doing” like a macro.

You do not need to install an entirely new part. You’ve mixed them up. The swappable battery is a plug & play mount, it sits snugly inside and you just plug it in. (Almost?) no vehicles come with this by default, most of them have regular batteries welded into the frame. You can also weld batteries into the frame just the same. It does not require a separate part.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Cataclysm welded

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Cataclysm swappable

You simply need to use a connection, like a jumper cable. You should be able to 'e’xamine the appliance connect it right to the vehicle. They interface fine with appliances.

Chain link fences never give fittings with any method of disassembly. This is most likely just a results group that needs to be updated. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Cataclysm

This is desired but somebody has to code it, etc.

You can tie zones to vehicles, so this is just a matter of setting it up.

No, but you’re also misattributing things. Zones and camps are not the same. Camps use zones, but otherwise they don’t interact.

There are many commands available through the 'C’hat menu (yelling), but again these are not tied to camps. You might want to look through them, this is likely to help you.

There are options to have them automatically prioritize certain work, you should check those out as well.

I really like that I do not have welding to deal with when it comes to batteries like this as it makes it far more realistic in my opinion. I am not sure where the discrepancy is coming from here. I compiled from “Cataclysm-DDA-cdda-experimental-2024-07-08-2301” and for Linux.

Thanks for the rest of the info and advice.