The Netherium Compendium and Bestiary - Of creature factions and organisms

Will the Melchior access nodes be implemented at some point, or did acidia just put that in for flavor?

Does the new AI mean that there will be Triffid vs Fungaloid fights if they wander too close to eachother? Or Zombie Hulks and Brutes that will smash other zombies or walls or anything else out of the way to reach you? Or zombies will attack ants that get too close? Or real any gathering style in the way that ants will wander out in groups to forested areas and since theyre giant ants start cutting down the trees and converting them into plant marrow or wild veggies?

That’s disappointing. I like the whole idea of terminators, manufacturing plants filled with mechanical men.
You can have things, the blob, references to L4D, but the best movie about time travelling robots in the apocalypse is verboten as source material?

What else are we going to use EMP grenades for if not terminators?

Absence of skynet =/= absence of terminators. It just means that they don’t have reliable global comms at this point of the timeline yet, so any agents that get sent in are essentially going in alone… y’know, in the way that you’d expect robotic assassins from the future to act.

Added some potential triffid stuff. Additional ideas appreciated.

Okay, new idea for a fungal creature:

Fungal Walker:
This extremely large, multi-tile, multi-story creature can be heard from a great distance away as it’s footsteps pound into the earth. Not actually a creature of fungus, but rather one that normally dwells within it, grazing on the fungal growths. It is overtly non-aggressive. Occasionally wanders far from fungal patches for unknown reasons. It’s lifespan in the hostile environment of Earth is limited to a few days, and Netherum creatures will engage in hostile action against any walker entering their territory, so such trips tend to be short lived. Their bodies provide a wide variety of strong, useful materials, but their fur usually contains many fungal spores, and the locations of their death will often form the base site of a future fungal bloom. Unfortunately, their strange flesh is thoroughly inedible, or a single walker could feed a town for a month.

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:26, topic:2039”]Okay, new idea for a fungal creature:

Fungal Walker:
This extremely large, multi-tile, multi-story creature can be heard from a great distance away as it’s footsteps pound into the earth. Not actually a creature of fungus, but rather one that normally dwells within it, grazing on the fungal growths. It is overtly non-aggressive. Occasionally wanders far from fungal patches for unknown reasons. It’s lifespan in the hostile environment of Earth is limited to a few days, and Netherum creatures will engage in hostile action against any walker entering their territory, so such trips tend to be short lived. Their bodies provide a wide variety of strong, useful materials, but their fur usually contains many fungal spores, and the locations of their death will often form the base site of a future fungal bloom. Unfortunately, their strange flesh is thoroughly inedible, or a single walker could feed a town for a month.[/quote]

OK, unlikely to be seen for a few months. What sort of materials are we talking about here? Why would a player want to get involved?

Oh man, giant not-mean beasties. I LIKE THIS. I would also be tempted to climb upon it while wearing a respirator. Whee!

Suggestions are more useful than questions - if I haven’t said it, it’s likely because I haven’t decided yet. Bones stronger than steal, perhaps? Useful for making strong, lightweight armor plating for cars similiar to super-alloy? Maybe it SHOULD be edible, and the player can butcher one corpse section at a time… mining the meat…

Suggestions are more useful than questions - if I haven’t said it, it’s likely because I haven’t decided yet. Bones stronger than steal, perhaps? Useful for making strong, lightweight armor plating for cars similiar to super-alloy? Maybe it SHOULD be edible, and the player can butcher one corpse section at a time… mining the meat…[/quote]

Fungus is generally Tainted Veggy. Walker might not be Tainted but there’d probably have to be some in-game reason why.

Having the structure be super-resilient is a good idea: Fungal Spires are stone, so the mobile version ought to be pretty tough too. Maybe a source for fire-resistant building material, at least until concrete gets worked out?

I vote meat-mining (how epic is that??), but you’d have to use the goodies deep inside to avoid ingesting spores imo. Of course, if the flesh is fireproof, you could always burn the spores off…

I like the fungal walker and the meat mining xD But say you find a recently dead one why not add a towing mechanic. So you cut the creature down the middle and drag part of it back to you home where you can mine at it as much as you like. Oh course this would have to be done by attaching it to a car.

Also I saw at some point you said you couldn’t think of a logical reason for dinosaurs in game.
Think of Jurassic Park. Scientists have tried to harness the XE- whatever its called to revivify dinosaurs by the DNA they have extracted from amber and used XE-thingy to fill in the genetic gaps. It could add a whole other floor to labs. Netherium Dinosaur floors. Or even Netherium Dino labs that spawn some Netherium multi tile dinosaurs. Netheraptors taking 1 tile. Netherium T-rexes being 4 tiles wide 3 tiles high maybe. But also peaceful Netherium Dinos. herbivores that only attack when provoked. Something like that would be cool

Jurassic park’s version had relatively intact dino DNA extracted from amber, the gaps filled in with comparable portions of DNA from the genome of some frog species. (At least the movie version)

Irl, I think we’ve found proteins that turn on or turn off certain gene sequences from expressing themselves in chicken embryos - I think they were able to get the embryos to ‘keep’ long tails, develop little scale buds instead of pinfeathers, and turned on itty bitty teeth in the beak.

If anything, goo-mutated turkeys and other fowl might be the easiest route to velociraptors.

…also if you tow half a fungal walker back to your base, don’t cry if baby mushrooms start growing on your roof.

This has given me a wonderful new idea.

Most birds are too small to be mutated by the slime.

New England, however, has several ostrich farms.

MUTATED OSTRI-RAPTORS

Damnit Glyph.

FUCKIN’ ZOMBIE OSTRICHEZ

I liked samscale’s names of netherraptors, though. and Netherrexes haha.

OSTRICH EGGS ARE DELICIOUS, I HEAR. I would enjoy such loot, if forced to cope with such monsters stomping me.

A giant wasp-nest or giant spider style raptor nest would be cool, with tasty giant eggs for making crepes out of.

We do have ants eggs in game already though.

Actually that’s a good point, bees and wasps should also have eggs, though they’d be quail-egg sized or so, or maybe the wasps should lay eggs in zombie skulls, who knows.

Yes, yes, oh god, YES.

Critical! You hit the Zombie in the head for 27 damage.
Pulsating larvae crawl from the wound!