The Great Comestible expansion

I did not know, but is everything actaully irradiated? I know that some areas have radiation, but I do not think that there was an all out nuclear strike on the Zs. If I am wrong, correct me.

Certainly agree with large bottles of coke and water.
I mean cata is set in new england right? Aka america?
Why do we only have gallon jugs of ammonia and bleach when they do coke, water and cool-aid in gallon jugs too? :stuck_out_tongue:
Of course, balancing, but meh.

Shadow: As to the radiation, it’s only certain sites that are irradiated, generally you’re safe as long as you don’t keep tramping through craters or sleep near them.
I’d tell you others, but a lot of the rest are a bit spoilerrific. Military surpluses generally carry geiger counters sometimes, otherwise I suggest looking for a science lab/scientist corpses and grabbing a radiation tag. Wear it and it’ll let you know when you’ve absorbed a good few rads.
As to defending against it… there’s really not much you can do. Raid doctor’s offices for iodine tablets. (I’ve noticed that doctors offices seem to carry iodine much more frequently than pharmacies, although houses occasionally have some too in the bathroom, but they’re mostly day/nyquil and aspirin.)

No. Nukes were used but against distinct targets. In general, if it’s rubble (especially those teensy craters) or clearly marked* as questionable on the map, pay attention. Otherwise you’re probably gonna be OK.

*2 out of 3 magentathings, off top/head, are fairly radioactive. The third is also dangerous, because it’s endgame content. You can do quick in/outs without too much risk, but don’t go looking around without a hazmat suit, iodine, and/or Purifier.

Labs are also a pretty good source of iodine.

Twinkies have a shelf life of 6 months FYI.

Well done: Nice to see gallon jugs of milk and vinegar :slight_smile: Gallon jugs aren’t so hard to find now.

Vinegar?

SAUERBRATEN. I need to get a new stable version and JSON that in.

What about some rare food? Like surstromming or so.

Things I can turn into beer. Yeast! Barley. Stinky hops. Maybe these have been mentioned already. I just like the idea of managing to survive the apocalypse only to make Priority Number One constructing ye beer distillery.

Toilet wine.
I want it.

Whenever cooking oil is added (and any other meals made with it), consider adding butcher-able suet from some of the larger animals as well (and maybe vegetable oil from triffids, too). Of course, the fat has to be rendered into tallow to be preservable, but it could still be used for cooking otherwise. And then we can add some (semi)fried foods that are commonly found in the real world, such as pancakes, french fries, and fried rice, while at the same time giving frying pans much more use.

Also, how about some hot sauce, soy sauce, and black pepper, and if possible some way to flavor foods with condiments rather than eating everything separately?

Tabasco keeps for friggin’ ever. A+ apocalypse hotsauce.

…also useable as a throwable I would imagine. Yeow.

Fish sticks! Squid sticks! Flooded rice farms! AaaAAaaAw! AaaAaAAAaaAAaaaAwWw!
Seriously, code a Playboy-yacht so someone can cook the whole lot for my successfull survivor.

How about that UHT milk? The pasteurised heat/vacuum sealed milk cartons that don’t go off, they last at least 6 months, maybe a year irl.

Also on the subject of chems, would it be possible to spawn a gas on activating an item? Or maybe just burning it out in the world with a match/lighter?

I’m thinking items like air fresheners with a mood/moral boost, things like incense sticks (even some survival made ones with “questionable” ingredients with certain psychometric effects), or would that smoke/vapour jet automatically get the “You inhale thick smoke” debuff?

I’ve modded in the milk already to my game but ill be honest, the smoke effect is beyond me, any ideas?

This thread is cute, but don’t you think it’s about time something actually came of it?

“My name is Rivet, queen of Bacon:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”

Well modding this game is so easy I’ve made dozens of changes myself (my first time modding was for dwarf fortress, compared to that modding this code is easy lol)

I’ve already made muskets with powder+lead shot, the UHT milk was easy and made all the CBM’s craft-able with balanced recipes, in the dozens of scrap/steel leading into the 100’s for others.

Another couple of things I’ve knocked together is a Soylent green-esk food that’s filling, craft able, has some negative and positive effects and yes, IT’S PEOPLE!?! The other is basically condensed foods, using certain recipes it takes the nutrient and water of the items going into it and condenses them. For example; ten pieces of meat makes a meat cube, worth all that nutrients but in a tiny item, the down side? It will only last a day before spoiling, it’s not meant as a horde item, its meant as a food to take on a raid or scavenging to stay light on your feet quick on your tentacles.

I’ve done all these without the need of the compiler version. My only problem is getting them to appear in the world (which frankly is a pretty big problem lol xD) I’d release what I have if I only knew that… Is it something to do with the item_group file?

(If that’s what it’s called? The file that starts with zombie child and lists their items? I may have to make them mob drops of just all craft-able for now lol)

Yep environmental item spawning is controlled through item_groups.json.

The first segment of each entry is the item’s id, and the second is the frequency at which it will appear.

How about Sewer Brew:

General:
-Heal: -10
-Stim: -14
-Nutrition: 2
-Quench: 25
-Enjoyability: -15
"A thirsty mutant’s drink of choice. It tastes horrible but it’s probably a lot safer to drink than before."

Skills Used:
-Cooking Lvl 5

Skills Needed:
-Survival Lvl 1

Tools:
-Still
-Nearby Fire

Components Required:
-Sewage Sample x1
-Whiskey x1 OR Vodka x1 OR Rum x1 OR Tequila x1 OR Gin x1 OR Triple Sec x1

Dunno if it sounds too weird or if it’s overpowered. I already modded it into my game. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh no! Jenkem!

…Cannibal versions of the regular stuff, Bobburger, Hooman Pizza, Jerk-Soup, etc could prove interesting XD The Mannwurst had me laughing for a good ten minutes because all I could think was “Well it might be Italian Sausage” Oh and Vacuum-Sealer compatible storage for Cannibals would be nice too, tired of having five hundred pounds of Jerk Jerky XD

Why did I have to google that. D;