The game is extremely choppy and even laggy

Every now and then the game freezes for some time while it’s “thinking”. And not only when saving.

Could you provide more details?

I’m moving around and the game freezes temporarily.
I pick a poppy flower and the game freezes temporarily.
I confirm a crafting recipe and the game freezes temporarily.
I confirm a building recipe and te game freezes momentarily.
I press ! to get out of safemode and the game freezes momentarily.

Et cetera.

What version? Windows or Linux?

Windows. 0.4 download with no added shit.

Try and older version to see if you still get those issues.

where are they located?

Would it be more helpful if I tried with any particular version?

Is this with all save files/worlds, or only with certain saves? It could be something in the nearby area is causing lots of processing. If it IS only with certain saves, can you zip and upload one for us to test?

Happened to me too.

It was about summer and it was around when worms started attacking, I assumed they had something to do with it.

Right now I only have this save but I do think it’s gotten worse over time.

My save directory is too large to be uploaded here.

I’ve had some behavior like this:

1. The game starts out quick as a whip when moving, but then it starts chugging, but doesn’t slow down noticeably further (like running in Nethack can be fatal, that’s like how it is at the beginning of loading a file in Cata, but then it slows down a lot)

2. My game has locked up at certain times when usually I’ve been exploring above world or a lab. It hits 100% core usage, then I leave it for a number of minutes and it goes back to normal. I’m on an i3 2100, so if someone was using a process with worse performance/sec, it’d probably take a lot longer to come out of it.

If you guys can find a place that does let you upload can affected save (MediaFire? MEGA?), we might be able to track down what’s causing the issue by examining the game while it’s running. Be sure to tell us which version you’re using, btw, because save compatibility often breaks.

Questions

How large is large? Your save file.

And which version of windows?

17 mb the save directory, 716 kb when compressed into a rar archive. Windows XP.

It’s the most obvious and annoyingly distracting bug there could possibly be. Windows build is simply not rendering properly, it is not drawing any in-between steps and instead you have constant glitches and freezing. How could you not know?

I can’t believe anyone would even release that to public, it’s such an enormous drawback the game like that simply “doesn’t work”, it’s a complete no go. That’s not even being incomplete, it’s just totally wrong, like a car with square wheels.

Anyway, I fixed it more than a month ago, even explained what, where and how:
http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=415.msg4309#msg4309

…and since then I keep asking why in the world is it not being fixed in the official build yet?

Try my Cataclysm: MGS mod to see how the game should run properly.

Is that not like million times better?

[quote=“pingpong, post:11, topic:849”]I’ve had some behavior like this:

1. The game starts out quick as a whip when moving, but then it starts chugging, but doesn’t slow down noticeably further (like running in Nethack can be fatal, that’s like how it is at the beginning of loading a file in Cata, but then it slows down a lot)

2. My game has locked up at certain times when usually I’ve been exploring above world or a lab. It hits 100% core usage, then I leave it for a number of minutes and it goes back to normal. I’m on an i3 2100, so if someone was using a process with worse performance/sec, it’d probably take a lot longer to come out of it.[/quote]

Next to what I mentioned above there are also new bugs being introduced and piling on top. So in version 0.3 there is a bug that will additionally slow down the game, make it really choppy. It happens when you are located near borders of the big map. To test this open debug menu, press option 4. to reveal the whole map and then use option 3. to teleport somewhere near unseen borders. You should be able to easily notice the difference and confirm whether it is this particular slowdown you are experiencing. If so, try to move deeper in the map, away from those borders where maps connect.

Please put those fixes on github lazycat.

Ive always had this bug. Holding down a direction key and moving/ driving you can encounter a stutter in game. I believe it to be map generation. After a while it goes away because the game finishes rendering or somthing.

Well thats my idea…

Tase did it long ago: