Tec-9 Classification

Ok first up, I am again back after a hiatus. Second, why is the Tec-9 classified in-game as an SMG. The Tec-9 IRL is a Handgun. Granted it is preferred by criminals for fearsome appearance and ease of conversion into an automatic, you expect to tell me that EVERY Tec-9 was converted into an automatic.
Not sure if this is bugging anyone else, or if I just know too much about guns.

I don’t know a whole lot about guns, but I quickly google’d and wiki’d the issue…

Wiki classifies it as a Machine Pistole, and i quote wiki here:

Swedish company Interdynamic AB of Stockholm designed the Interdynamic MP-9 9mm submachine gun. Intended as an inexpensive submachine gun based on the Carl Gustav M/45 for military applications, Interdynamic did not find a government buyer, so it was taken to US market as an open-bolt semi-automatic KG-9 pistol

following wiki to the Interdynamic MP9:

The Interdynamic MP-9 is a blowback-operated, fully automatic 9 mm caliber firearm, classified by BATF as a submachine gun.

Feels to me like the Tec-9 is supposed to be a submachine gun, which was then converted into a handgun, to be quite honest. As I said though, I’m not well versed with ‘modern’ guns, I’m into older weapons :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe you, as amateur gun-enthusiast could clear the issue up what exactly is going on with the Tec-9? However, it would make sense to classify the Tec-9 as SMG, if wiki is right there.

I’m fine with it being able to be an SMG in-game, I just feel that perhaps there should be SMG and Handgun variants in-game.

[quote=“Nickal, post:1, topic:10155”]Ok first up, I am again back after a hiatus. Second, why is the Tec-9 classified in-game as an SMG. The Tec-9 IRL is a Handgun. Granted it is preferred by criminals for fearsome appearance and ease of conversion into an automatic, you expect to tell me that EVERY Tec-9 was converted into an automatic.
Not sure if this is bugging anyone else, or if I just know too much about guns.[/quote]

You’re contradicting yourself right now. In your first post you’re telling us that it’s bugging you that the Tec-9 is a SMG, not a handgun, in your second post you’re telling us it’s ok with you? What’s the point of posting this then?
Also, 1 SMG and 1 Handgun variant is useless, as you can freely switch between burst mode and single-shot mode. Do you want to force the SMG variant to only use burst mode? Because, the handgun variant would be bloody useless if you can still switch to single-shot with the SMG variant. The variants definitely won’t change much of the stats of the gun, if any at all.

Personally, I would regard the TEC-9, at least the full-auto version, as a machine pistol. Therefore my only proposal is we change the skill from SMG to pistol.

We DO have machine pistols using the pistol skill, don’t we?

The capability ingame to be an SMG is fine with me, its just that they are all converted already into SMGs that bugs me. It’s weird.

Still, what do you expect the developers to do? add a handgun version, which is identical to the smg version, but without the burst mode? That’d be useless, nobody would even consider using this gun because it’s just a bad copy of the smg version. A handgun version which can be converted into a burst-mode version? That would either mean that they can spawn with an integrated upgrade, or you’d need, again, 2 different guns which you can change via recipe. All of that is a whole lot of work for little to no gain, if you ask me, so it probably won’t happen, unless you can give a good reason why they should change it.
If it really annoys you, look into the jsons of the game, you could mod the Tec-9, delete the burst-mode flag and change it to a handgun, it would then accept a burst-trigger modification which would add the burst-mode again.
Another possibility would also be to ROlEPLAY it. Just decide if the tec-9 you found is smg-mode or handgun mode and stick with it.

edit: also, speaking from experience: You have a higher chance of hte issue getting fixed if yuo actually mod it yourself - the developers would then just need to merge it with the main game jsons, that would give them less work and you would have your ‘better’ tec-9