Suggesting new buildings?

Being in Baltimore, I definitely agree on the need for rowhouses. I’ve never messed around with multitile spawns yet though.

Rooming house/hostel sounds interesting too. More loot, but more zeds.

Not sure how I’d do the crazy dome houses, however. They definitely fit the sci-fi look though.

IIRC, increasing the spawn doesn’t require coding. in mapgen.cpp (or .json) there are a couple of lines with the weighting of the different buildings, pretty self-explanatory, once you’ve found it.

John Candlebury made a duplex house (two separate living-spaces in one common “house”) a while back. It’s pretty Nifty.

A full-blown row house would be 1xN (N probably shouldn’t exceed 3 or 4 though, 9 is the code-practicality limit) and require the multitile handling.

A hostel or something would also be Nifty and I’d suggest making it a commercial structure (so it’s closer to the center) than a house. Most hostels IME aren’t in the residential areas.

Is there any reason you can’t make one full tile-sized row house unit of two or three connected houses, then make an arbitrary-sized row by orienting in the same direction and tiling?

Yes, but the trick is in spawning that in. There’s two levels of map gen. There’s the general (house here, gunstore here) that also does specials (spawn this 3x3 hospital). Then there’s the individual buildings (this house will specifically be house_garage_prepper, this gun store will be gunstore_gunsmith, etc). Without special code on the general level (reserve this 3x1 spot for a “rowhouse” special), you’d just randomly get 1 tile of rowhouses among regular suburban houses.

That’s also why I can’t just tweak the json to increase the weighting. From my understanding, the weighting affects chances of a specific floor plan spawning. So while the house building type is very common, the floor plan that’s a fortified survivor house is pretty rare, and you’re much more likely to get housr_05 or similar.

That said, I’m only vaguely familiar with the actual mapgen code. I know mapgen_functions.cpp defines the (ugh) hard coded floor plans that aren’t in json format (yet, that’s a to-do), but I don’t know where the overmap/general building types are defined. Anyone more knowledgeable care to point me in the right general direction.

(And yes, I abuse parentheses. Blame LISP.)

Is there any reason you can’t make one full tile-sized row house unit of two or three connected houses, then make an arbitrary-sized row by orienting in the same direction and tiling?[/quote]

Aside from mapgen not generally cooperating with tile-plans absent a call for a multitile building, no. In practice, two houses is about the limit for a decently-sized living space in one tile; perhaps more if you work in basements but that’ll be a project.

The buildings are defined in overmap_terrain.json

Actually the duplex house isn’t mine. Its was made by the same person who added the wooden sign furniture to the game.

Actually the duplex house isn’t mine. Its was made by the same person who added the wooden sign furniture to the game.[/quote]

Indeed: you were the last one to touch it (thanks for the fix), but it’s jermeyosborne’s originally. Thanks for the checkup, and my apologies for the miscredit.

So I got a couple ideas just sitting here:

OOOOO
OOOOO
OOOOO
OOOOO
OOOOO State Park
Big, open area with some trees, some paths, maybe a food stand. Alternate version that’s got a lake, another alternate version with a large statue or monument in the middle, should have a gift-shop of sorts, third version with several small hobo-villages in it. Mayhaps a Triffid/Marloss/Bee infected variant(s)? Small number of zombies, lots of zombie dogs but none of the ‘advanced’ variants (Rot-Wilers, Skeletal Dogs, Z-9s)

OO
Ov Car Dealership/Rental Agency
Mostly parking lot, at least one fully functional, undamaged, but unfueled car somewhere in the lot. Security system, vending machines. Rental agency variant should have on-site mechanic.

. . |. X
. . |. .
—±-
XX|. .
XX|. . Airport
Fenced in area, lots of robotic security, possibility for an “ending” area. (Find helio, fix it, fuel it?) Gift-shops, clothing stores, restaurants, that kind of thing, in the airport itself. ATMs, vending Machines, bathrooms, lost luggage. Underground luggage area.

Mansion, Cabin, and Gas Station Lab/Bunker Entrances.
Basically, at first glance it’s a normal Mansion, Cabin, or Gas Station, fully functional one at that even. Upon closer examination a hidden room has an access path to a lab, preferably the variety that does less than legal things.

Large research tents build around an anomaly in the middle and surrounded with chain link fences. Lots of zombie scientists, bio-operators, soldiers, turrets and a guaranteed artifact.

Car dealer needs a service department too. Bonus for RV dealer or sports-car dealer.

KA101 approves of that and the state park; the airport would need a lot of tinkering to create a soft/hard endgame

Though New Game + might be nifty: sure, you got your helicopter airborne. But w/o pilot training, well, you’re not sure where you crashed, and you’ve got a broken arm or leg or two, but you’ve your inventory and skills.

Central libraries, with almost every non-classified book, a room with lots of broken terminals, and some ebooks for tablets for the illiterate.

Shipyards with fishing and boat equipment.

Datacenters with broken laptops, blackboxes, and powered terminals. They run on a backup power supply with a truckload of gasoline in a generator. The terminals display logs and, if you can hack well, maps of the area.

Anyone remember those small metal inclosed shelter capsules from the fallout series? I thought it would be a good idea to expand on the fallout lore in the game, and these can spawn randomly on the side of the road and inside are various survival equipment or a dead body/skeleton/zombie whom was inside the shelter and died.

And a toy store, obviously filled with an assortment of toys/clothing/costumes but also child zombies and their previous parents, toys can sufice for morale or plastic/electronic parts, just picture the toy stores you would find in dead rising.

Thrift store, kind of like a furniture store but it has clothes and electronics (no batteries though). Maybe a variant with a loading bay and panel truck in back.

Disneyworld

Or generally just Themeparks which cater, rides, undead mascots, gift shops, food courts, hotels, all that jazz.

Would a good opportunity to just go nuts with some fun concepts and besides the shops, the rides and attractions offer a whole host of salvage opportunities to the wasteland mechanics out there.

Dental Clinic, maybe?

Like a clinic but with disinfectant and mid-level painkillers almost guaranteed, but no chance of other meds, except maybe a low chance of some cocaine. Possibly some fancy dental grills to loot too.

Non-mobile meth lab?

The boarded up “abandoned” house with a chemset and chem drops in the kitchen, and maybe a makeshift squatters camp in a corner somewhere from the pre-cataclysm inhabitant, chance of shotgun trap near the front door.

Somewhat offtopic: Why would they have cocaine in a dental clinic? I do know that cocaine is used as a local anaesthetic in eye surgery, but I’ve never heard of it being used in dental surgery.

It’s rare now (it might actually be completely gone in the US, I didn’t check before I posted that) but I believe some dentists do still keep it on hand for patients who react badly to more common anaesthetics.

[quote=“KA101, post:52, topic:8317”]Car dealer needs a service department too. Bonus for RV dealer or sports-car dealer.

KA101 approves of that and the state park; the airport would need a lot of tinkering to create a soft/hard endgame

Though New Game + might be nifty: sure, you got your helicopter airborne. But w/o pilot training, well, you’re not sure where you crashed, and you’ve got a broken arm or leg or two, but you’ve your inventory and skills.[/quote]
Are you suggesting that the average person is stupid enough to try and fly a helicopter when they know that they know nothing about flying anything?

Because I agree.