Suggesting new buildings?

Addendum: The A.I. migo taunts you the entire time. If you kill it expect a quote from 2001: a space odyssy.

Underground Lab, Featuring: http://residentevil.wikia.com/Red_Queen_(Anderson)

Any Resident Evil References in the Cata?

im pretty sure there’s a lab that has been flooded full of some scientist corpses or something, the glass wall has one little hole in it while let a little water out.
not sure if that’s the only resident evil reference though.

This is the only bad idea you have! I love the other buildings![/quote]
So because you don’t like it means it’s bad? I actually like the idea.[/quote]
It seems a bit ridiculous to me that NPCs would be able to organise an arena, round up zombies, etc. when 99% of the population are dead in 4 days.

An underground survival bunker which has been destroyed as a result of being the subject of some kind of horrible psychological experiment. Possibly filled with zombies, all of which are named “Gary.”

From the north you hear “GARY!”

Gary 772 hits you for 12 damage.

Would love to see a Bakery. Would be a great place to stockpile flour, yeast and stuff. Also lots of cake.

Except the Cake is a Lie.

Local newspaper offices would be cool.
Used car lots? New car lots?
Asylums would be neat.
3D print shops would be cool as well.

Well. There is a surprising lack of propane in this game. Usually outside many small towns there’ll be a propane seller with huge bulk tanks and truck-sized tanks for your home. The office would have some standard office stuff and maybe a display center for some gas barbecues, RV grills, etc. The addition of propane fueled engines (like those in forklifts)

This is the only bad idea you have! I love the other buildings![/quote]
So because you don’t like it means it’s bad? I actually like the idea.[/quote]
It seems a bit ridiculous to me that NPCs would be able to organise an arena, round up zombies, etc. when 99% of the population are dead in 4 days.[/quote]

And the 1% that does survive turn into Rambo one-man-armies that can wade through nuclear explosions and fire.

I’d love this, even for the sheer “BOOM !” of the place. :wink: Seriously, though, I’ve had some gas cylinder ideads, with LPG/LNG tanks as well, but there was (getting up to speed on the current state of the game) little framework for damaged gas cylinders being able to leak different gasses, forming areas like short-lived “explosive gas clouds”.

I love the thread - much of the stuff here looks like potential facilities / pieces of facilities, something that I’m working on (sluggishly, sorry :frowning: ) in my “places of interest” thread.

Highway- A big 2-lane highway like the equivalent of I-91 in IRL New England which goes North to South on the map. Tons of stopped cars, trapped zombies, etc. Really dangerous.

Machine shop- Has hobbyist mills, lathes, etc. for more precise machining.

High Tech Factory- Think civilian adjunct factories attached to the military bases we have in the real world, especially on the East coast (Northrop Grunman, Raytheon, Halliburton, etc.) All robots and high tech stuff all the time. It’d be located out in the boonies with several tough roadblocks though (just like IRL) and also attached to a military base.

Zoo/aquarium- Self-explanatory. Zombelephant? Mutated Monitor Lizards? Zomborca? The sky is the limit.

Synagogue- Zombie Jews, oy gevalt!
Mosque- The souls Allah forgot.

Gun store/gunsmith- There are more than a few gun stores that have in house gunsmiths. You could find ammo presses, mills, chambering/boring tools etc. here.

Sushi bar- Self explanatory. You could find Japanese weaponry at the back

Television studio- Self explanatory. Lots of useful electronics to salvage and scavenge

Dam- A damn dam.

Most of these are either already in the game, or are un-needed.

We have code for highways but mapgen work has pretty much stagnated and highways don’t generally spawn ATM. (Random/dynamic mapgen being what it is, it’s not exactly easy to have a long one, unless we changed it to work like the rivers do. Might be worth thinking about.)

Better weighting of buildings. As more variation has been added, the weighting has been thrown off. For example, firehouses have been almost eliminated from my game. I find one in maybe 10% of towns. There should be at least one firehouse in every town, guaranteed. Same thing with a grocery, a gas station, and a doctor’s office.

On a similar note, there should also be a dentist’s office, a barber, and either a paramedic dispatch office or a variant firehouse which includes one.

Yeah, perhaps it’s time for a new and refined code for weighting buildings. I haven’t seen a Firehouse-building in a long time, neither a police station. Gun shops en masse, though.
Perhaps we can add some component that prevents buildings of a certain type from “clustering” (except regular houses, I guess) and if it’s a small town to add a different building instead of one that is already there?
No clue at all how easy/hard this is to do, but if someone wants to do it, I feel it could greatly improve the balance of the game.

I am also in favor of highways being added. I have no idea what the code for the highway that doesn’t spawn yet look like, however.

Also, a zoo is a neat idea, imho. Could there be other stuff apart from zombified exotic animals there, too?

Unfortunately it looks like bumping up the weight on police and fire stations world require some coding, and the map gen is a mess. I may look into it, but I’m hesitant.

What I have been doing is adding more basic house varieties. Any suggestions for more of those?

Unless I’ve missed anyone putting this here, how about a graveyard? Maybe add a hearse that can spawn there too as-well.

I haven’t seen any row houses yet, multiple dwellings with common walls. You could probably just adapt the structure for apartment buildings for it. I haven’t seen any Arcosanti-style dome houses.

A rooming house would be interesting too. A single bathroom, a single kitchen, lots of tiny bedrooms.