Stranger Things, as CDDA prelude? (Spoilers for both)

I’m currently watching the S3.E6 of Stranger Things, and I have to ask, is it just me or am I watching the prequel to CDDA?

Feels an awful lot like The Underside is where the migos and fungus come from.

kind of maybe, since the mindflayer portraited on the series, works almost like the blob on CDDA. or should be the other way, since CDDA came before the series (not the mindflayer thats way before CDDA)

Right, and the way different nation were all competing to harvest and then utilize these extraplanar gates without ever pausing to think that something dangerous might be living in that side of it.

1 Like

Stranger Things directly borrows a lot of ideas and themes from Stephen King. Cataclysm does as well, but partially by proxy. As you may have noticed Cataclysm has a lot in common thematically with Half-life, which itself was inspired by King’s short story The Mist.

In The Mist the United States military performs experiments to open doorways into other worlds. This gate is where the Mist itself and the creatures that live in it come from.

Yeah, Duffel brothers fucking stole our intellectual property.

2 Likes

King and CDDA both drew direct inspiration from Lovecraft. So if Stranger Things (which I’ve never actually seen) is inspired by King then does that make it our… nephew?

Nah. The family tree is more complex than that. Stranger Things is definitely King inspired. CDDA is Lovecraft inspired, which would make us a sibling to King, but also Half-life inspired, which would make us a grandchild of King’s. So Stranger Things is simultaneously our niece/nephew and our uncle/aunt.

That’s disregarding borrowing from Romero and Wyndham a lot, which I don’t think stranger things does, or all the novels I’ve nabbed concepts of for minor NPCs and stuff.

1 Like