[Spoilers] Sketch II

while I agree we don’t want to just have a copy of a fallout area, I also don’t want to be stuck with ‘you can’t add this interesting thing because it exists elsewhere’. as for CHUDs specifically, they loosely fit the profile, but if it’s a choice between one copy of a monster or another, it’s a tossup and it comes down to other issues.
if the ghouls would just have a new description and be buffed a bit, we might as well go with buffing the CHUDs, but if they have their own properties I’d rather go with them.
(probably want to buff CHUDs a bit anyway)

Quick, someone push the poll over a stalemate so I know what path to follow when I get off work.

Well. Stalemate looks broken, and hostile AI seems to be pulling ahead, but I really don’t like that. I like the idea of the robot triffid grove type environment, but I don’t think this should be it. A robotics factory with an above and underground component would make more sense. Trying to force the robots into the vault environment makes it sound like they went “Hey, we have this huge underground shelter hidden under this town, what are we gonna put in it? Oh, I know! Robots!”. Even if the vault was modified to be a robotic themed area, it still doesn’t make sense for it to be under a town, with a secret entrance elevator in the grocery store.

Just voted for the radiated site. Be happy. :wink:

Underground shelter is fine, and we need more radiated areas. Just don’t hire Vault-Tec to build it.

I was really excited about the bio-weapon. Ebola is an awesome concept and I want to see it executed well.

AI just seems like a triffid hive reskinned with robots. I hate robots, and being tased, and the whole being made of metal thing.

You know what I’d like to see, a church full of Jonestown types who’ve drank the Kool-aid, and perhaps one or two flesh angels or mannequins that come alive and attack you. Mannequins creep me the fuck out.

Ebola though, that’s an idea. But it would have to be done well, and with plenty of flavor text.

I had an idea for bioweapon themed labs. Basically there would be containment breaches that you’d need hazmat suits to cross through, lots of fucked up testing sites, etc. When I started looking at implementing it, I realized the limitations of the lab layouts made it impossible to do some of the things I wanted. Now that the specials have been jsonized, I might revisit it.

Oh come on guys, we went from a two to a three way tie. I’m just going to start a general layout for the vault and try to alter it to fit the theme.

Sorry acidia, you just have too many good ideas >_<

Sooooo… I guess I’ll go with the radioactive zombies since that is closest to the original concept. I need people to run through the sewers to see if they are a bit over the top. To find the Necropolis, use debug mode to reveal the world map and search for ‘salon’ Now that we have a theme I’ll get back to adding items and spawns for the town and sewers.

I started working on the monsters for it, should have something worth showing soon

Putting along… long post time.

So, need thoughts on two new tiles:
"’" red, emergency light. The entire complex will take upwards of 700 batteries in a flashlight to fully explore without supplemental light sources, estimated at least. If your light dies on z-3 or z-4 then you might be boned without emergency lights in the halls. There is another reason turrets :smiley: but it should be more of an assistance than anything else. I’m split on making them smash-able, if they are too high to interact with makes sense but I also think it would be neat to have enemies smash them and cut out the lights as they travel down halls.
"#" yellow, wood road barricade, more for atmosphere than anything. Have a few of these blocking off entry ways… they would be simple to cross but would warn the player of dangerous paths ahead.

(For z-4, industry) Luckily this isn’t an industrial facility but by the end something will need to be done to address ‘machinery.’ There are so many random specialized machines in a factory that modeling all of the tiles would really just make tileset work a nightmare. What I think might work would be to have 3 different looking generic ‘machinery’ tiles. They would simply function as containers that would need to either be smashed or deconstructed to receive an assortment of springs, metals, wires, etc. If we wanted the components that you receive from destroying them be different, that works: light machinery, heavy machinery, and robotic machinery. As containers we can fill them with the appropriate raw materials/finished items. Otherwise a simple soda bottling plant would need +6 different machines/unique tiles just to make the assembly line make sense. Thoughts? So an actual assembly line might use tiles for conveyor belts(=, brown?), robotic arms (&, yellow?), machinery light ($, gray?), machinery heavy (%, gray?), and machinery robotic ($, yellow?). Need better characters… but you should get the idea.

(For z-2, armory) Finally, need to figure out what the standard armament for actual military units would be. Anything 5.56mm against a near-peer threat would be useless, like almost right now… especially 30 years from now. 7.62mm is what modern military body armor is designed to stop. I haven’t looked through the giant list of guns/the guns people want modded out so I just need to know what you think would fit the description best or if it doesn’t exist.
M16/M4 => Damage can be comparable to m16/m4 but a higher penetration to compensate for the modern armors is needed. The Sino Block is supposed to be technologically superior so it should be designed to at least penetrate heavy personal armor. Essentially, battle rifle not assault rifle. Ten round magazine, comparatively very heavy ammo, double the armor penetration, same accuracy and keep damage roughly the same. Ammo and occurrence would be military exclusive. Must be less desirable than the upper end energy weapons (otherwise why would they be developed).
M9 => Doesn’t matter nearly as much, which of the future ‘modern’ pistols is considered average/most common.
M249 => Chambered with the same rounds as the replacement for the m16/m4 or a slightly smaller round to compensate for needing more round for automatic fire. Heavy, burst/automatic only, 60 round belt, comparatively inaccurate… or drop the light machine gun altogether and give infantry squads something similar to a reloadable rocket launcher (Carl Gustav) or an anti-material rifle to deal with the more common combat robots/heavy vehicles.

Would love a M9 in the game…

This could be a place to increase the spawns of the newer high tech, high value, high power weaponry, like the rivtech gear and armor. Their spawns were scaled back, so this might be a good place to encourage their spawns, since you have to go through a lot more to get to it.

Re armory, we’ve got M4s and M249s in-game already. M4 seems to do OK in its turret incarnation. Feel free to put out a call for more fictionalized weaponry, too.

re Rivtech gear, I think folks just attack that because it’s a coherent line of high-powered gear. Most of 'em want it gone entirely, so having the armory stocked with the expensive stuff isn’t going to help.

Assembly line: might some of it qualify as furniture? I’m thinking robot arms might be a furniture item over conveyor belt terrain, etc, but that’s me brainstorming.

I would prefer to have the vault be stocked with more mundane weapons, probably the SCAR rifles, theres also a lot of modern US issue weapons we are missing that we could have if you are willing to add them. Namely the:

-M27 IAR
-SR-25
-HK416
-SDM-R
-Mk-14
-And something that I find unbelievable, we don’t have any variant of the M60 in game

Having Rivtech weapons inside wouldn’t be bad either, but I would really prefer to have something else to break the monopoly Rivtech has over late game gear. You could go the Call of Duty route and have Mk20 submachine guns, M7A4 assault rifles, and EMBR-18 battle rifles.

I think the main holdups on the M60 are that it’s technically a crew weapon, though it seems it’s capable of being fired from the shoulder with difficulty, and that its belt fed.

Requires a bipod to fire?

We actually have support for that now, though it’s not great.

M60 can be fired and manned by one person, though without stabilization there should be a huge accuracy penalty. Also, reloading should take a long time as well (physical act of reloading happens quickly; the loader though has the belt ready to go - a single guy would have to retrieve, prepare and reload themselves).

I would recommend if you are going to add a machine gun in, pick the M240. It is the current US machine gun, way more reliable than an M60 and much like the M2HB .50 Cal, would likely be in the inventory for a freakishly long time.

So, pulling vault security (think clearing buildings) with a 240 would be ridiculous. Without standing/kneeling/prone mechanics I don’t see any way to add it in well… unless we just did some fiddling with recoil mechanics so medium and heavy machine guns got crazy recoil from movement but low recoil from firing or… even increased accuracy from walking rounds in.

Anyways, I’m kinda surprised there is so much push for having modern weapons in a futuristic setting. I’m going to run a couple tests to make sure power armors can be stopped with more contemporary weapons. I’m not too interested in weapons that are already limited or being phased out of use… 20-30 years from now I’d doubt they would stock a new armory with them.

Here is a composite from earlier today. Labs in the southeast are not filled yet. I have winches for the doors at the moment but they’ll be replaced with key-less consoles to decrease the time delay associated with the winch. The game logic for the door controllers is a bit fragile so I’m going to have to rearrange the walls near a few of them. The tiny parking spots are for either the 2x2 golf carts or a 2x3 tram. Haven’t decided yet. I’ll get around to getting rid of as many of the double walls as possible.

Next floor down is going to contain mostly housing, the kitchens, a chapel, civilian gym, supply distribution (shops)…
Bottom floor will house the reactor, sewers, food production, some industry, lots of storage…

After… completing the ‘dungeon,’ the area called ‘utilities’ in the image will effectively form an egress route. More or less you are just following the sewage pump from the bottom level to the sewers.

Finally, we need to determine how linearized we want the map.
1 - Literally almost every door is unlocked. If you knew you were there to access the reactor you would take every stairwell down until you reached the bottom floor and found it. But, if you didn’t know what you were looking for you could literally just get lost in the underground town.
3 - Fallout 1/2, if you know where you need to go you can go straight there… after making a few stops.
5 - Skyrim, dungeons have little side rooms but most are a single path… you get the most out of your time/archetecture/$$$ since you are forced to visit every major area/room.

So a 5 would be like one path with a few optional areas, a 4 would be like having two major paths, 3 would be leaving large areas (like the hospital/school) open to you only once you passed through a different area, 2 would be leaving multiple routes to most any area, and 1 would be leaving the vault as open as possible and only block off areas for atmosphere/story reasons.