Something that would make sense

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:20, topic:8422”][quote=“AllisonW, post:16, topic:8422”]I made an eight-year-old girl with Str 6 and Dex 12

I don’t know if it was the intent of the developers, but aside from entirely unarmed combat or heavy melee weapons, Strength honestly seems more important for ranged combat (throwing, archery, high-recoil guns, etc.) than melee combat, whereas the reverse seems true with Dexterity. It’s kind of counter-intuitive, but I suppose it might be one of those learning-how-the-game-is-really-played things.[/quote]

That’s one superhumanly buff and agile 8 year old girl.[/quote]

She’s supposed to be strong for her age. I actually think I recall there having been a weightlifter who was a nine-year-old girl a few years back who could deadlift like 175 pounds, though I’m not finding a link on Google right this moment. I suppose a point or two of the Dexterity might be simulating her being a smaller target/enemies being larger targets relative to her perspective. I did take stuff like Disorganised to simulate her limitations, though. (That disad stings.)

This is true, but I do value range for bows. Granted you’re right that even with a relatively low Strength the bows that have a higher inherent range are still useful, though I still consider longbow range when you have the Strength to take full advantage of it a thing of beauty.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:20, topic:8422”]I don’t know what was the intent, but to me it looks like the stats are supposed to do things you’d expect them to do in real life, rather than things commonly associated with them in video games.
But yes, strength doesn’t do much for melee. The most important part of it is the carrying capacity. It has a more significant effect if you use bashing weapons - those are useless at low strength. Since mostly-bashing weapons are kinda bad after early game, strength loses to dexterity (and loses hard) when it comes to melee.[/quote]

My experience is mostly similar, yeah. The low carrying capacity does wear thin on me, as does stuff like poor crowbar use (no sewer access), no moving furniture without disassembling and reassembling it, and that time I took my shiny new bicycle-converted-from-electric-scooter out and tried out my new weapon loadout and it worked like a boss and then I put loot on the cargo carrier and wasn’t strong enough to move the bike with loot on the cargo carrier and the sad trumpet played. I will note that the bratling actually did do perfectly well for herself with the hatchet and the nail bat, though I wouldn’t try to use the high-movement-cost weapons with her, and that for specific melee applications (punching, lajatangs, zweihanders, etc.) I could see myself still wanting a high Strength.