Skeleton in the game as an example of a spherical horse in vacuum

I only wish I was literate so I was aware I mispelt the walking plant monsters who shall not be named.

And scalding hot tea eh what old bean splendid idea :slight_smile:

Grammar Nazi is not a badge of shame but of pride. Don’t reject the calling, reject the typos and grammar mistakes.

Hmm, always heard this as a spherical cow.

As in:

Q: How does a physicist milk a cow?
A: Well, first let us consider a spherical cow…

[quote=“bahihs, post:23, topic:7853”]Hmm, always heard this as a spherical cow.

As in:

A: Well, first let us consider a spherical cow…[/quote]

OP is probably from one of post-USSR countries. That’s where the spherical horse thing (which is a joke made out of formulations used in old soviet physics textbooks) hails from.

[quote=“BigLie, post:24, topic:7853”][quote=“bahihs, post:23, topic:7853”]Hmm, always heard this as a spherical cow.

As in:

A: Well, first let us consider a spherical cow…[/quote]

OP is probably from one of post-USSR countries. That’s where the spherical horse thing (which is a joke made out of formulations used in old soviet physics textbooks) hails from.[/quote]

So what is the joke?

Wish I could tell you but I am not that proficient in English to translate it correctly. Generally it is about a physicist who could predict the winner of any horse race — given perfectly spherical horses moving through a vacuum.

The joke is the (somewhat accurate) assumption that given any problem to solve, a physicist will solve it in terms of fewest variables and simplest scenario. And the simplest possible scenario when faced with a problem involving an object is to assume an object is perfectly spherical and assume that it is operating in a vacuum where differences in air resistance, pressure, wind, et cetera do not make a difference.

Thus, given a problem involving a cow/horse/chickens/zombies, the physics student will assume that they are dealing with perfeclty spherical cow/horse/chickens/zombies in a vacuum. The humor, obviously, being that these objects are never perfectly spherical nor in a vacuum and so the physics student’s solution will not be accurate to the problem at hand.

Also my headcanon for the skeletons is that they are more “efficient” zombies that fully rely on the goo instead of zombies which rely more on the flesh and organs of their previous host to act. This allows skeletons to shrug off bullets (they aren’t hitting anything vital) but because the organs and muscles have degraded due to the Skeleton only needing the goo to survive, they have less physical strength and fortitude than zombies do.

[quote=“IcedPee, post:27, topic:7853”]The joke is the (somewhat accurate) assumption that given any problem to solve, a physicist will solve it in terms of fewest variables and simplest scenario. And the simplest possible scenario when faced with a problem involving an object is to assume an object is perfectly spherical and assume that it is operating in a vacuum where differences in air resistance, pressure, wind, et cetera do not make a difference.

Thus, given a problem involving a cow/horse/chickens/zombies, the physics student will assume that they are dealing with perfeclty spherical cow/horse/chickens/zombies in a vacuum. The humor, obviously, being that these objects are never perfectly spherical nor in a vacuum and so the physics student’s solution will not be accurate to the problem at hand.

Also my headcanon for the skeletons is that they are more “efficient” zombies that fully rely on the goo instead of zombies which rely more on the flesh and organs of their previous host to act. This allows skeletons to shrug off bullets (they aren’t hitting anything vital) but because the organs and muscles have degraded due to the Skeleton only needing the goo to survive, they have less physical strength and fortitude than zombies do.[/quote]

Aha, thank you!

I love how OP never replied again

He probably came face to face with a chicken walker.

RIP OP

excuise moi - whois OP?
sorry for my bad french :slight_smile:
translator sux and i’m poor in english. sorry.
and - yes - i’m from ex-USSR with their academical humor.

spherical horse = Spherical cow - an expression denoting some ideal concept divorced from real life.

to my regret, I have touched on this topic - about skeletons - completely forgetting that in the game the same way, there are other “fabulous” creation, such as reasonable Goo’s, as well as fungaloids, justify the existence of which I also can not find …
So, we can say - I realized my mistake. This game is not really tied to real life, and I tried to treat this game as a game built on real life.
therefore I “modestly bit tongue” but, if I understand correctly the reduction OP as “Opinion Pusher” - people are interested in and where I been miss, decided to get a voice that I’ve been watching and periodically subject.

but if this issue still - quite by chance for me - interesting - I gratefully’ll try to develop it.

[quote=“vivat, post:31, topic:7853”]excuise moi - whois OP?
sorry for my bad french :slight_smile:
translator sux and i’m poor in english. sorry.[/quote]
OP- Original Poster
The guy who started this thread, which actually looks to be … you.

Also spherical horse in vacuum? Wat?

aha… in russian forums it is TopicStarter, TS

Also spherical horse in vacuum? Wat?
spherical cow (horse) - kind of concept not from real life. like some from sci-fi (teleportation of hyperspace-drive) or fantasy (giant fire-breathing dragons)

but I think I can justify the existence of zombies.
is rotting alive people who have just touched on several areas of the brain that are responsible for their high intelligence, but do not have time to be affected area of the brain responsible for the basest instincts.
this meat is not fully roasted. inside the meat - raw though outside it crunches. and zombies - inside they simply “bad fry” that they finally died.
but as people - they died. they have become non-people.

perhaps even to the people who were very quickly reborn cancerous reaction as in one fantastic story about a scientist who infected himself with cancer, but managed to not die from the fact that the body’s cells have been replaced by cancer. and from here - their mind not human mind.

cancer cells may need less oxygen for breathing.

This post is an example of spherical russian on teh internets :smiley:

well… err - yep! some sort of.