Simple Idea: Watering Down Serums

I hate finding mutagenic serums or purifier serums in labs. They’re potentially useful, but I’m not going to use them because they have too many downsides. Mutagenic serum moves too quickly and I never use purifier. What I’d like to be able to do is turn them back into mutagen and purifier again. I would be able to use them in crafting again. It would be easy to add and it would make me and probably other happy. It would also not be imbalanced because you are basically turning something valuable into something less valuable.

Not sure what i think of the proposal overall, but your balance argument is invalid, obviously you think they’re more valuable as regular mutagen since from your point of view the serums are worthless.
There’s an issue where a population of things are balanced based on scarcity, but you add an ability to convert amoung the population of things, and effectively remove the scarcity.

That’s the entire point of having serums, rather than mutagens, laying around in labs: having the flavored stuff available but not obviating the need for making flavored mutagens.

(Regular mutagen & purifier still spawn in labs, and frankly are more common than their serum variants.)

I have no clue how you’d un-cook the serum. Crafting it into a mutagen via a separate recipe (1x serum, 2x saline???) might be feasible but ought to cause all sorts of complications as you’re definitely off-book. More likely you’d have a MUTAGEN_WEAK instead.

So. Still want it?

Possibly a degradation of specialized serums into a weaker and generalized mutagen at a worse ‘conversion’ rate than it would take to make that serum in the first place?
For example, a 2:1 (specialized) mutagen to serum formula would reverse to a 2:3 (specialized) serum to general mutagen formula.

Being someone who never uses them I would like if they had some other uses other than drinking them. Something that comes to mind is using them to create ammunition for some sort of mutator aerosol grenade (search for Resistance’s mutator gun if you are interested). Or at least to use them as ingredients for the zombie pheromone.

I love mutagen… It makes it possible to be a walking m1a1 abrams.

Khrysanth, your idea sounds good to me.

Blackopsman, I also love mutagen, but I only use the targeted kind, as it lets me have two pages of mutations where only 4 of them are negative.

I am a huge fan of serums, il inject one the minute I find it, or guzzle down any mutagen, I love making the game harder or different for myself. As for cooking down serums, all a serum is, is 2 mutagens plopped together in a glass container, I don’t see the big deal in separating them, maybe if they were to different mutagens

What, you mean like… food recipes? Serum is specifically concentrated. If you don’t want concentrate, use normal mutagens.

I guess I could see make a Slime Pie or Cephalopod Clambake - made with real mutagen!

I am a huge fan of serums, il inject one the minute I find it, or guzzle down any mutagen, I love making the game harder or different for myself. As for cooking down serums, all a serum is, is 2 mutagens plopped together in a glass container, I don’t see the big deal in separating them, maybe if they were to different mutagens[/quote]

Nope. Serum is two mutagens cooked down into a concentrated form. If all you had to do was plop 'em together it wouldn’t need Cooking 10, chemistry gear, and a fair amount of time.

Re Nappist’s idea, seems like the Tainted Tornado: weak mutagen at best, but if there’s demand I suppose I could work it in.

[quote=“Nappist, post:9, topic:6142”]What, you mean like… food recipes? Serum is specifically concentrated. If you don’t want concentrate, use normal mutagens.

I guess I could see make a Slime Pie or Cephalopod Clambake - made with real mutagen![/quote]

Some pretty cool food ideas there bro youll have to share the recipe, anyway I guess you guys are right you do indeed cook it down. Still I stand behind what I first said, just inject that shit bro Fuxit.
mutations are fun definitely more fun the more you get

I support the weak mutagen idea.

Might like to drop the fact that just because something has an effect when injected into your veins doesn’t mean it would have anything similar to that when eaten. (This is why you can drink snake venom unharmed). Thus any sort of watered down serum should probably still require an injection to work.

Oh goddammit i2amroy, I wanted to have mutagen brownies… Anyways, why is it just two drinkable mutagens to make a serum, which you then inject? I mean, it would make sense to be able to drink it for at least some mutations…

I suppose I could flip it around, so you inject the basic stuff and drink the concentrated. Thoughts?

I suppose I could flip it around, so you inject the basic stuff and drink the concentrated. Thoughts?[/quote]

I prefer it the way it is. Serum should be harder to get/use. Regular could be injected or drank; drinking gives less overall mutation with hunger/thirst/morale penalties, and injecting regular gives pain/health penalties. Serum should require an injection, maybe due to some made up interaction with saliva or stomach acid.