Should wearing armor cause issues when sleeping?

NPCs have access to the sort armor interface, so outfits should apply to them, too.

At least until NPCs get smart enough that we’re not allowed to micromanaged them anymore.

If this was the case I think wearing comfy jammies to bed should give a morale increase to the got comfy mood. I feel buffs are better at incentivizing players to do things. Obviously if it’s as tedious as it would be now even then it’s not really feasible. So there would need to be a quick method of dumping gear and equipping it again without being a huge pain in the ass. As others have already pointed out.

(New thread creation in 1 sec “Creating” Cold)
Side topic: how do we do the move thread fork to new thread thing?

Boosts and negatives based on more extreme outfits would be great. Wearing pretty “moderate” armour should net effectively 0 result, so like a not-full-set of leather armour or so ~20 enumberence maybe centered around ~15 or something average might be a nice balence point once outfits are a thing.

I do not like encumbrance being used for this.

If you’re fully wrapped in soft, fluffy sheets like a taco, you’re encumbered all to hell, but you are also very, very comfy unless the climate is hot. In this vein, we have sleeping bags, and I’m pretty sure there’s several comfy clothes that are encumbering, or at least, more encumbering that some armor.

What you want instead is either a new parameter, or a new flag (either ‘comfy’, ‘uncomfortable to sleep in’, or both tags)

1 Like

hmm true. I didn’t think about that.

Stuff like this really needs to wait until we have a system in place where items can be properly stored in backpacks etc. Right now, it’s not just the having to take everything off that would be annoying, but also the picking up of items that would all drop to the ground because your carrying capacity dropped… :slight_smile:

Save loadout, load loadout? Double items=profit.

double points if loadout includes [hot] food and [cold] beverage, double double if it includes buleon and a spare battery/gas can

This has nothing to do with nested containers.

What is needed before implementation has been discussed already. We need a save load out UI.

Isn’t there a parameter like that based around the type of bed/sleeping surface , having a pillow, blanket, etc?

I think that assigning a single flag, [Uncomfortable] or something like that would be sufficient. It’s limited, but that’s all that’s necessary. I don’t think creating an additional [Comfy] flag would be necessary. You’d just need to know if you get the morale debuff or if you get the comfy buff as a result of sleeping in a comfortable place.

If you wanted to exert a lot of control over it (and give yourself a ton of work to do, editing lots of items) you could create a comfort variable and then have each article of clothing give a + or - to the variable. Then when you sleep, do a check and hand out results based on comfort’s current value.

I’m… not sure?
I think it’s hardcoded to checking the presence of some items when it comes to sleeping, I’m not certain because I’ve never checked that code, or had a reason to, but I haven’t spotted anything in the JSONs indicating it can be controlled there, so if it’s not there, it must be hardcoded.

IF it is like that, then if we want to check if what you’re wearing is ‘comfy’, we can no longer rely on suck a method, but must then have flags or a parameter within the JSON indicating comfiness.

I remember reading somewhere about some sort of parameter, but I don’t code dive so I can’t be sure either. I do like the Ideal of an uncomfortable flag added to things like armor and bulky clothing that would make your sleep restless though. It seems like the simplest implementation to me with the best result.

Cool.

You obviously know more about it than I do… :wink:

Doing it on a straight these items give + X would mean that they would be too stackable I think. Maybe put a hard limit on JUST how comfy you can be? or at least give reduced benifits on a scaling factor or something.

Again, I think using an integer would be the needlessly complicated way to do it and I’m not really advocating it be that way.

But, because I’m a devil’s advocate, I’d point out that you would just weight uncomfortable items very heavily. If you’re wearing bunny slippers and a housecoat, great, that’s +15 and you get level 2 comfort bonus. Are you wearing platemail? Well that’s -10000 and you get the ‘I can’t effing sleep in this’ debuff.

XD Eh, I think a very simple forumula would be fine, and would help keep items synced and balanced.

I think flags would be the better way, because if you’re wearing something that chafes or digs into your skin, no amount of other comfy clothing is going to make up for it.

Given that mods are more likely to introduce combat-relevant equipment rather than expand the list of viable sleepwear, I propose tagging comfy clothing as COMFY rather than tagging uncomfortable clothing as such, since that would require less mod modification and maintenance.

If you’re wearing an item without the COMFY flag when sleeping, you don’t sleep as well. Otherwise, you get full resting bonus (provided you got yourself a bed, pillows, got warm enough, etc).

1 Like

so wearing nothing = same effect as wearing armour?

Point, going to sleep in the buff should be a special case that is comfy if everything else permits, tho it should be worse if you’re sleeping in the cold, hard ground.