Should house have innate wiring that we could plug a generator into?

Would it be possible to treat it somewhat like a vehicle, meaning one part entering a reality bubble would cause the others to load?

So if Fridge1 loaded, it would automatically load Generator1 because they were somehow tagged to link them? Maybe even Fridge2 wouldn’t load automatically until it was in the reality, but it could also be linked to connect and thus auto spawn the generator on its own? Or even spawn all of it?

Or alternatively working within the framework of the vehicle system, add new components like indoor wiring that would not be mobile or restrict movement as much if waking over them? Maybe somehow connect through walls, or even be required to be placed in a wall? In essence, the vehicle system would become more of an electrical/power system that could be used to construct things of various uses?

Just rambling thoughts, not sure if it’s actually even possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can we make everything a vehicle?

1 Like

I’m doing development in the vehicle code. It is necessarily a total hassle to do anything in the vehicle code. Something as simple as figuring out whether you have three parts of the same type in a row on adjacent tiles is surprisingly difficult to do, because of how the vehicle code is (mostly necessarily) set up.

Kevin will kill any attempt to merge code that uses the vehicle code more generally and I can’t say I blame him.

1 Like

The plan is to make “appliances” that are vehicles under the hood, but have the vehicle modification menu disabled. They can use the vehicle power transmission code, use cargo spaces, have rich interactions, etc.

The only difference with what other people are proposing is they’d be wired together with cabling explicitly instead of being hooked up to building wiring.

1 Like

So basically build a house out of a car and squelch the car menu? Instead using “construction” with interconnecting house parts?

Don’t forget to squelch NPCs auto sit function so they don’t go insane trying to find a seat.

What if houses had a fuse box that could be repaired. And only after repair does it create a new vehicle around the house.

With multiple floors there would be one box per floor if needed; so you could repair a basement fusebox and get lighting and power to the wet bar. Something like a mansion would be broken down into multiple fuse box segments.

Segmented building and each needing to be using a generator on it own? Reality bubble may bite you there as well.

Maybe give each appliance a small backup power storage which last for just enough to get everything else in the bubble? Or make a backup powercell appliance which stores little power and provides it only to appliances on its tile?

1 Like

You gave me an idea for programming it a little easier. Everything runs off a car battery or something similar to a power source in a modular way. So that when the player character moves away. The objects are stamped with a time. The player character moves back to where the reality bubble is active with these objects and compares each object that enters the reality bubble with the the time stamp. The difference in time will be the gauge in how much energy units are consumed.

1 Like

What if a terrain item was buildable that would permenately load a chunck of map at a minimum level. Some thing like minecraft having spawn point constantly active.

The vehicles as buildings solution is simpler from a programming perspective.

1 Like

I doubt I have the expertise to understand the difficulties. Not enough experience adding to established code to wrap my head around it.

The outlets of a building can be nodes in a tree. The tree represent an electrical system that can update outside of the bubble but only gets activated when part of the tree, an outlet, is in the bubble. Flipping the tree to active is as simple as using quick find to find the tree root of the outlet and turning it on. Even if smaller trees representing subsystems were used it should not take too long to find the root. As long as it does not go too deep. Assuming the wiring does not have separate circuits might make it even simpler. Separating a subtree to a new tree, due to outlet destruction, can be quick as well. It means creating two or three separate trees that now run on their own, and checking their nodes to see if at least one is in the bubble. Outlets do nothing beside representing a union so I assume it would simply slow the map loading in a bit.

The tree keeps track of the producers and consumers in the system. Those could also be a separate tree added to the outlets through quick union. They would probably need to be aware of which outlet they are on but adding to root is faster. If an outlet gets destroyed find its root, separate outlet trees, and make what was connected to the outlet it’s own tree again. Each producer adds to the tree’s total energy and each consumer reduces it. Since the tree handles the update of them, the difficulty of it might be in saving and loading data that comes from outside the bubble.

You got it, stitching the parts together isn’t hard at all, the problem is managing interactions with components that are not loaded. This has already been solved for vehicles.

1 Like

Is anyone working on converting building into vehicles?

All I want is the ability to jumper cable a battery to flood lights. And light a whole room.

1 Like

Would my idea for use of a time stamp help?
(posted a few comments up)

That reminds me of irl off the grid living hobo style. No offense, but assuming your info is accurate. Isn’t that pretty much how most folks do it up in Barrow?

1 Like

You can more-or-less do that right now. On the one hand, a heavy-duty flashlight + car battery mod can be set down to light a room. On the other hand, you can build a one-tile “vehicle” with a car battery, a set of electronic controls, and either aisle lights (flashlight) or a floodlight to make a lamp. The aisle lights option will give you about ~8-9 hours of light before you have to replace the battery. Plus it’s fun to drag it to where you need it. I haven’t tried the floodlight, but I can imagine you’d get a couple of hours where it would light a massive area.

1 Like

More or less we have a town generator and whatnot but lots tend to daisy chain lines together. FB_IMG_1550429806990

Ya know I’ve been playing this a while now and I have never figured out how to start scratch a “vehicle”. Is that under the construction menu? 0_o