Should house have innate wiring that we could plug a generator into?

Yes, and yes to avoid the 20 character minimum reply limit.

Thanks. Funny. Years of this game and I never once used that menu lol xD

I think Iā€™ve come up with an idea for how to make this work. Let me know if
thereā€™s something Iā€™m not realizing.

From reading this thread it seems like the biggest problem has to do with the
limitations of the reality bubble: to model current flowing through a circuit,
all segments of the wires in the circuit need to be accounted for, but itā€™s
not feasible to load into the bubble every tile containing a segment of wire.
But thatā€™s assuming we have to check every single tile the wire just to see if
current can pass through it. We actually have two options: check every tile,
or have the information ready ahead of time. If all segments of a length of
wire are intact, the wire is intact. The full circuit map with every segment
of wire is just a subdivision of the topology graph of the circuit itself,
which only counts nodes on the network and intact connections between those
nodes. We can load the topology of the electrical installation into
the reality bubble all at once.

If a segment of wire gets severed, or if something causes a short circuit, or
if some other disturbance happens to the circuit while the relevant part of
the circuit is loaded into the bubble
, we can just update the topology
graph accordingly. Heck, we could even black-box off the parts of the topology
graph that we know for certain wonā€™t be changed because theyā€™re all outside the
reality bubble. We can just operate on subdivisions of subgraphs of the
topology graph.

Basically what Iā€™m wondering is, why not represent electrical circuits the way
electrical engineers do in their schematics?

1 Like

Because Should house have inate wiring that we could plug a generator into?

1 Like

Wow, munbeamā€™s suggestion was almost exactly the same as mine, haha

There is also the thing that cars use DC voltage, and a house is AC.
But a car engine alternator isnā€™t the right type of power so thatā€™s a flat out issue there.

A wiring panel would need to have a proper hook up to take the power and put it into the panel. This is not standard and would take a very experienced electrician to do it right to make sure you didnā€™t have issues. I can think of any number of them.

The typical kind you get at the store isnā€™t going to provide enough power, average house is 200+AMP service or so in the US. Depending on size. The Home Depot/etc generator usually has a few plugs you can then plug some items into.
Then who is going to install it? Itā€™s a jury rig job. Service panels are not designed with this type of hook up. You might be able to do it, but it would require a huge generator. 20 amp service can handle a 1500W microwave. $200-300 generator gives about 3000W after startup which is 50% load they run at. Thereā€™s usually 4 plugs for the 20 amp. One big one for like a welder or dryer.

my father is a Master Electrician for 30ish years. I helped him for many summers, weekends, in my early teens into 20ā€™s. Iā€™ve pulled more wire and hooked up more devices (plugs/lights/switches, fans etc) than I ever care to again. You have to know what you are doing messing with an electrical panel or thereā€™s going to be major issues. The wrong gauge wire causes problems, improperly connected plugs/switches. Wire being niched, or the hole in the stud the wire goes thru is too close to the sheetrock side and a screw hits it. (within 1 1/2" you need to protect with a metal plate, or a sheetrock screw could intercept the wire. If the load line isnā€™t tightened enough in the panel the panel can get hot and thatā€™ll start to melt the wiresā€¦ Iā€™ve seen that melted messā€¦ fun 3 days re-wiring a whole panel and running more home runs thru an existing house due to melted wires) It didnā€™t start a fireā€¦ just got hot enough to almost do it. That person was soooo lucky. Basically the electrician didnā€™t tighten a lot of it down enough. My father thought it was prob a new journeyman and the master electrician didnā€™t double check the work enough. House wasnā€™t more than six months old. We only ripped up a walls to get stuff pulled, luckily most of it was run thru the attic.

Electrical codes are a bitch, but there for a good reason. Bad wiring causes fires.

1 Like