Selfbows don't train archery version 568e904 windows xp sdl

slings and slingshots however do. is this intended?

The basic selfbow is so inaccurate that you can’t use it to train past a certain point. The ammo you use is also factored into this, so if you’re using the extra basic arrow types it will also limit your ability to learn from practice.

If this is what is happening, you should occasionally see the message, “You’ll need a more accurate gun to improve your aim.” in the message log.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:2, topic:7218”]The basic selfbow is so inaccurate that you can’t use it to train past a certain point. The ammo you use is also factored into this, so if you’re using the extra basic arrow types it will also limit your ability to learn from practice.

If this is what is happening, you should occasionally see the message, “You’ll need a more accurate gun to improve your aim.” in the message log.[/quote]

It wasn’t giving any at all, I had to train from level 0 to level 1 with the slingshot. this was with wooden shafts.

With wooden shafts… you realize that you’re essentially trying to fire a stick out of a bow, right?
Even the description says it’s pointless to try and fire it.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:7218”]With wooden shafts… you realize that you’re essentially trying to fire a stick out of a bow, right?
Even the description says it’s pointless to try and fire it.[/quote]

the other ammo can’t be crafted until you get archery up to atleast level 1 though. so its intended then?

[quote=“Nathan_, post:5, topic:7218”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:7218”]With wooden shafts… you realize that you’re essentially trying to fire a stick out of a bow, right?
Even the description says it’s pointless to try and fire it.[/quote]

the other ammo can’t be crafted until you get archery up to atleast level 1 though. so its intended then?[/quote]

Crafting was spec’d before the accuracy-enforcement, so making a Better Arrow is reasonable (more so since the point of the self-bow is to let non-archer survivalists start learning archery).

Do you have any suggestions for a more accurate arrow that one could make w/o any archery knowledge?

It would probably be better to bump the self bow construction requirement up to need more archery, but make it a little more accurate to compensate. That way the slingshot/blowgun would be the newbie training weapon of choice and would avoid confusion, and a primitive recurve bow made specifically for your strength and dexterity would be more useful than just throwing the arrows at targets.

Are slingshots and blowguns actually using archery? I always thought they’d use throwing.
Even further: Using a slingshot and using a blowgun are really strange for “archery”, if you ask me.

Generally I like the whole archery-thing, though. Extremely high requirements, but also a great reward!
If only it was more obivous that bows have a certain strength requirement. It is somehoe frustrating, to find your dedicated archer with Fabrication 4, archery 7 in a position where he can’t use the better bow, because he is too weak… :frowning:

That’s why they invented composite bows :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, they invented firearms for people who don’t have muscles to pull bowstrings.

This is my favorite sig.

[quote=“Snaaty, post:8, topic:7218”]Are slingshots and blowguns actually using archery? I always thought they’d use throwing.
Even further: Using a slingshot and using a blowgun are really strange for “archery”, if you ask me.[/quote]
I’m not totally sure what blowguns should be using, but slingshots and bows have definite similarities to how they’re used.
A “sling” on the other hand should use throwing (and it does).

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:11, topic:7218”][quote=“Snaaty, post:8, topic:7218”]Are slingshots and blowguns actually using archery? I always thought they’d use throwing.
Even further: Using a slingshot and using a blowgun are really strange for “archery”, if you ask me.[/quote]
I’m not totally sure what blowguns should be using, but slingshots and bows have definite similarities to how they’re used.
A “sling” on the other hand should use throwing (and it does).[/quote]
Clearly we need a spitting skill to scale with blowguns, creating a ranged attack that costs nothing and does nothing, but can be trained without a weapon

Spitting skill obviously should be a good part of some of the mutation categories.