Sdl2

I guess this is the best forum. Not a bug report, but it is a technical discussion. :slight_smile:

I notice SDL2 is out. Looks like it is a month old or so, and their Mac framework distributions look better than they are for 1.2. Any plans to update? It looks like there aren’t just a TON of changes, but I do see that they’ve changed how they handle input among other things. Trying to build 0.8 against SDL2 results in these errors:

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64: "_SDL_EnableKeyRepeat", referenced from: WinCreate() in sdltiles.o "_SDL_EnableUNICODE", referenced from: WinCreate() in sdltiles.o "_SDL_GetKeyState", referenced from: CheckMessages() in sdltiles.o "_SDL_SetVideoMode", referenced from: WinCreate() in sdltiles.o "_SDL_UpdateRect", referenced from: try_update() in sdltiles.o curses_drawwindow(WINDOW*) in sdltiles.o "_SDL_WM_SetCaption", referenced from: WinCreate() in sdltiles.o ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [cataclysm-tiles] Error 1

Not bad. Migration guide here: http://wiki.libsdl.org/MigrationGuide

No plans at the moment, but if someone wants to migrate the code and demonstrate that we can still build and run with all our platforms/compilers/etc, it’s pretty much a done deal.

This would be very nice, especially since currently SDL2 works with cygwin, but SDL 1.2 does not, meaning you can’t currently run tiles builds on Cygwin without some serious work (but if we upgrade it will be fairly easy).