Scrapyards/Dumps

I think it would be cool if there were locations like these.

Scrapyard:

Full of scrap metal, wrecked cars, zombie dogs
Maybe have some metalworking tools about, or a chance to get a forge, ect.

Dump:

Large area of garbage, zombies

I would see these being similar to Public Works locations outside of towns, and maybe only occupying four map tiles?
The dump is mostly just an afterthought, and I would be most interested in having scrapyards put into the game.

These could be as rare as you wanted to make them, but they would be a great place to set up a metalworking station (if they don’t already have them) and get into fabrication.
Maybe there could be a chance that they have tools?

Ooh, yes yes yes!
It would be so cool to go into a scrap yard and build a car from scratch, very Thunderdome-y.
It’d be awesome to have a dump too, especially for early characters needing to scavenge, with little interference.

Not sure about dumps in other places, but here in New England, dumps always have seagulls (trashgulls?). Might be cool for there to be zombified gulls flying around the dump. Not particularly dangerous… until they swarm.

I like this idea a lot. Perhaps there could be garbage that you can rummage through? Similar to foraging a berry bush?
Items you might be able to find:
dented screwdrivers, smashed canteens etc. just broken stuff that can be fixed and is useful.
Good food! People through away good food all the time, though it might only be scraps, and some might have some parasites in them…

All food out there would be at least 5 days old. Some chemical burgers could still be “fresh” after that time, but most stuff won’t.

They’d be the first flying zed and flying zeds don’t make much sense.
Plus, all birdy stuff will be really bland until we get z-levels. Except maybe zombie emus, but would require Australia mode.

[quote=“chimpdroid, post:2, topic:8856”]Ooh, yes yes yes!
It would be so cool to go into a scrap yard and build a car from scratch, very Thunderdome-y.
It’d be awesome to have a dump too, especially for early characters needing to scavenge, with little interference.

Not sure about dumps in other places, but here in New England, dumps always have seagulls (trashgulls?). Might be cool for there to be zombified gulls flying around the dump. Not particularly dangerous… until they swarm.[/quote]
I don’t think most birds can be zombies… They’re too small…

Yeah, what I’m saying is among all the trash and rotten food, there might be that one glorious half eaten tin can of beans. Bon appetit!

Also, with birds, go the insect route and make them giant/mutated. Perhaps instead of gulls, or crows/ravens etc there can be Scavengers, they might be able to pull an item from you and drop it on the ground, and then attempt to steal the object off the ground. You can toss shit to distract them away.

[quote=“FrankyPlaysGames, post:6, topic:8856”]Yeah, what I’m saying is among all the trash and rotten food, there might be that one glorious half eaten tin can of beans. Bon appetit!

Also, with birds, go the insect route and make them giant/mutated. Perhaps instead of gulls, or crows/ravens etc there can be Scavengers, they might be able to pull an item from you and drop it on the ground, and then attempt to steal the object off the ground. You can toss shit to distract them away.[/quote]

So… An annoying Pokemon?

Annoying Pokemon is kind of an oxymoron.

Speaking of scrap/junkyards, TOW TRUCKS! I want to be able to tow wrecks to my garage so I can disassemble them there.

Tow trucks would be fantastic. It would be even cooler if you could attach a cable to a wall via the back of one and then rip the wall down by driving away.

Too bad coding non-rigid vehicles is kinda a pain. :wink:

I love the idea of dumps, but I feel like they would give access to too much material too quickly. I’ve got two ideas as a balancing factor;

1. Morale penalty for being in one for too long. Did you know, landfills actually smell AWFUL? Your character knows. And they are pissed off about it. This can be a fairly small thing, that long term exposure could build up a tolerance to as with killing children, and maybe offset by environment resistance on the mouth.

2. A handful of more dangerous enemies. Maybe some guard bots (dogbots!), scrap-armored zombies, the giant automated crusher machines, or the beasts that live in the trash piles that everyone always knew about but were too afraid to acknowledge or speak of.

I like the idea of scrap yards/ auto junkyards.

Dumps, really it’s a normal hill because everything gets buried and most stuff at dumps is literally useless. A dump would be like fighting zombie seagulls and black rats hitting rubble (y/n) prompts forever to get a cigarette butt, a tin can, 2 papers, a splintered wood and 20 marbles if you’re way lucky.

Also, considering the whole of new england is a scrap heap/ dump, dedicated dumps and scrap yards might be redundant. Tow trucks would be awesome, but I’m assuming hard to code.

Might be cool to see some decommissioned androids and service robots as enemies in dumps.

This should be its own thread. There are actually a lot of cable-based devices that would be mega-useful in the Cataclysm - winches (run off of vehicle electricity), come-alongs, simple tow-ropes…

This should be its own thread. There are actually a lot of cable-based devices that would be mega-useful in the Cataclysm - winches (run off of vehicle electricity), come-alongs, simple tow-ropes…[/quote]

Very useful and if they extend for any length, not trivial to code. Narc’s jumper cables were a major project, and they’re not at all loadbearing (either vehicle moves, you’re probably gonna detach the cable).

Fair enough!

[quote=“ArgusTheCat, post:11, topic:8856”]I love the idea of dumps, but I feel like they would give access to too much material too quickly. I’ve got two ideas as a balancing factor;

1. Morale penalty for being in one for too long. Did you know, landfills actually smell AWFUL? Your character knows. And they are pissed off about it. This can be a fairly small thing, that long term exposure could build up a tolerance to as with killing children, and maybe offset by environment resistance on the mouth.

2. A handful of more dangerous enemies. Maybe some guard bots (dogbots!), scrap-armored zombies, the giant automated crusher machines, or the beasts that live in the trash piles that everyone always knew about but were too afraid to acknowledge or speak of.[/quote]

The morale things are never added.
Adding radiation, on the other end… That’d be a major thing. Maybe manhacks and tobita that could have been awoken when the “kill all humans” rewrite of AI in all robots happened.