Rotten

Orange juice, seriously?

I can deal with rotten meat, but orange juice?
I hope to holy hell that apple cider doesn’t rot.

I can deal with rotting meat since you can just cook it again, and hell there’s enough crunchy critters around that my EOD tech must technically be a butcher.

Apple cider rots, as does pretty much everything else, except stuff like tinned beans and MREs.

The ability to cook rotten meat is a bug.

Your best option for food preservation is presently beef jerky, although adding a few alternatives to that would certainly not be a bad idea.

[quote=“Williham, post:2, topic:644”]Apple cider rots, as does pretty much everything else, except stuff like tinned beans and MREs.

Your best option for food preservation is presently beef jerky, although adding a few alternatives to that would certainly not be a bad idea.[/quote]

Does stuff in plastic bags (candies, beef jerky, chips and stuff I forgot) rot?

[quote=“DeepBlueMax, post:3, topic:644”][quote=“Williham, post:2, topic:644”]Apple cider rots, as does pretty much everything else, except stuff like tinned beans and MREs.

Your best option for food preservation is presently beef jerky, although adding a few alternatives to that would certainly not be a bad idea.[/quote]

Does stuff in plastic bags (candies, beef jerky, chips and stuff I forgot) rot?[/quote]

Anything that’s chock full of preservatives doesn’t rot; meaning stuff like candy, chips, beef jerky, cola, root beer.

Clean water also doesn’t rot, nor does the kind of stuff you find in Mil. Surpluses; tinned beans, MREs.

Plain water (potentially tainted) also does not deteriorate over time, so it remains as safe as it was whenever it was collected.

In addition, I believe tinned ravioli and pineapple stays good for perpetuity, as does raw macaroni and raw spaghetti.

Note, however, that there’s a display bug:

If you make your own orange juice, which, due to the aforementioned bug you can do using rotten oranges, you’ll get a plastic bottle of orange juice (rotten) (1), but it’s actually fresh; the same applies to freshly made soup and broth.

Tea and coffee also do not rot, in any form.

I don’t suppose we’ll be able to smoke meat to preserve it? Jerky-making works OK but there’s only so much salt around.

(Happy rotten-cooking exploiter here: in future, Shoes’ system ought to allow for slowing spoilage during winter/in colder areas)

Holy shit.

Lets add where fire smoke (thick) turns (un)cooked meat into dried meat which doesn’t rot but gives less over the board.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:1, topic:644”]Orange juice, seriously?

I can deal with rotten meat, but orange juice?[/quote]

You’ve never had orange juice go bad before? When some brands don’t use preservatives in their orange juice, they can quickly spoil without refrigeration depending on the local climate. It takes on a brief smell and taste of alcohol, and then it gets putrid once that stage is over.

Apple cider shouldn’t rot.

It should ferment.

I know, we squeeze our own from apples. It sat in the fridge and when you opened the door it fizzed like it was a cheap cola.

Fermentated Apple Cider should be an alcohol.

That is the general idea behind hard cider, isn’t it? /teetotaler IRL

[quote=“gtaguy, post:8, topic:644”]Apple cider shouldn’t rot.

It should ferment.

I know, we squeeze our own from apples. It sat in the fridge and when you opened the door it fizzed like it was a cheap cola.

Fermentated Apple Cider should be an alcohol.[/quote]

This is what I was getting at. I was under the impression the cider was an alcohol. Sorry, I think I gave some people the wrong idea about that.

Funny story, actually. When I was a kid some family in america sent me apple cider powder. I loved the stuff. I also offered some apple cider to my teacher at a home visit. Fun times. :smiley:

Also to be honest I never have actually had orange juice that’s gone bad before, though I’m sure it’s possible without preservatives, again, kinda forgot we don’t have access to industrial strength food preservative in the wilderness :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the cooking rotten meat thing… it’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:10, topic:644”]This is what I was getting at. I was under the impression the cider was an alcohol. Sorry, I think I gave some people the wrong idea about that.

Funny story, actually. When I was a kid some family in america sent me apple cider powder. I loved the stuff. I also offered some apple cider to my teacher at a home visit. Fun times. :D[/quote]

Ah, right, dialectal difference. The term “apple cider” in America refers to unfiltered, generally fresh apple juice. The difference between apple cider and apple juice is sort of like the difference between bakery bread and the bread that comes in plastic bags from grocery stores.

However, as I’ve learned after moving to New Zealand, other parts of the English-speaking world use “cider” to refer exclusively to alcoholic drinks, which we Americans refer to as “hard cider”.

As someone who has a strong dislike for the taste of alcohol, this caused a few interesting misunderstandings until I remembered to use the Kiwi/British definition.

[quote=“Soron, post:11, topic:644”][quote=“Iosyn, post:10, topic:644”]This is what I was getting at. I was under the impression the cider was an alcohol. Sorry, I think I gave some people the wrong idea about that.

Funny story, actually. When I was a kid some family in america sent me apple cider powder. I loved the stuff. I also offered some apple cider to my teacher at a home visit. Fun times. :D[/quote]

Ah, right, dialectal difference. The term “apple cider” in America refers to unfiltered, generally fresh apple juice. The difference between apple cider and apple juice is sort of like the difference between bakery bread and the bread that comes in plastic bags from grocery stores.

However, as I’ve learned after moving to New Zealand, other parts of the English-speaking world use “cider” to refer exclusively to alcoholic drinks, which we Americans refer to as “hard cider”.

As someone who has a strong dislike for the taste of alcohol, this caused a few interesting misunderstandings until I remembered to use the Kiwi/British definition.[/quote]
I got the wrong idea too. Thinking apple cider was alcoholic, I played some time without drinking it. Tried once, got no “alcohol problems”.Well, no alcohol, no problems, so I sort of ignored the word “cider” on it.

A fair bit of canned stuff can rot as well, or it used to in older versions.