RetroDays Tileset (Update 2018)

Thank you so much for keeping this tileset updated, especially for going the extra mile and taking care of PKR!

IMO this is by far the best tileset, I just love how clean and easy to interpret it is. And it just looks great. Again, great work.

3 Likes

Just noticed that pigeons are showing up as a pig sprite for me.

2 Likes

So pigs can fly. I knew it.

@hobophobe
Isnt they look like typical post-apocalypse pigeons? i dont know, ok i made them more birdish. LUL
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BJHg6kXQIfvGAliJlfj6Z2IQAXigl9cx/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

I see this post is a bit old, but, I was wondering if you still have time to fix a minor issue?

The flowers are inconsistent.

flowers

As a former ASCII purist I can confidently say this is the only tileset I thoroughly enjoy. Everything else feels messy and confusing. But at the same time my wife with zero ASCII familiarity can at least understand it. Even if she teases me for playing games with Atari graphics.

Haha, I feel you. I am less inclined to full on ASCII, but, I will admit that ASCII provides a certain level of information and identification you donā€™t or rarely find in tilesets in games like CDDA.

Hello guys, i always like to see someone hooked by retroday tiles as i was. It feels like you know, make imagenation works, but same time look clean and recognisable. Great work. I will try support requests to update things as i can. So wait.

But I(and i feel original author Antistar the same) cant always support it to be updated enough. I dont want such uniquie tileset will be complete outdated. Its really not to diifcult to add new tiles. If someone interestet enough to take relay race, and dont know how, just ask me.

Yeah, Iā€™d love to update the tileset - and was tempted to, when I was playing the game again recently - but I just havenā€™t had time. Iā€™ve already got a huge backlog to plough through with the Fallout 4 and Skyrim mods Iā€™m working on at the moment.

I might be interested in doing tile updates but the last time I tried to do some tile updating I had to have all this special software that wasnā€™t free, and the free ones sucked. I did some tile modding for Cogmind with gimp, so I do have a bit of experience. At the very least I could learn and then update as I find things that are on fallback tiles and maybe after awhile Iā€™ll have an updated one I can upload

I found on reddit someone who kindly ā€œhackedā€ together long and tall grass, and some other tiles. Some tiles are still missing and go to their fallback. Antistar and JaR seem to be busy and not have time to update them, so I doubt they would mind if anyone wants to add more / update it.

Reddit Link to RetroDays Long Tall Grass

There two links there, the top comment link, and one a bit farther down. Iā€™m not sure of the difference, but, the one by aewtech is the one I use and the grass looks like so:

cataclysm-tiles_2018-11-25_16-09-09

1 Like

Nice. Can you make a PR with that (and any other updated tiles)?

It was confusing to have long grass and normal grass look the same when I was playing recently - and it looks pretty good in that shot there.

I certainly donā€™t mind other people updating RetroDays - and it wouldnā€™t matter even if I did, of course, since CDDA is open-source. :wink:

1 Like

It does update more tiles than just that, which is nice, although Iā€™m not a fan of the mushroom foraging tiles, which just look plain silly and I think with that reverted to how it was before, itā€™s perfect.

Any tips/references/guides/whatever for emulating the particular style? I donā€™t have enough free time to make a tileset of my own, I took a medicore whack at it that you can check out in the drawthread, but felt I couldnā€™t do the tileset justice if I tried to add on to it.

Iā€™m not comfortable making a PR for it myself honestly, mostly because Iā€™m not sure if everyone likes all the tiles in it, but, if youā€™d like to that would be cool. That and Iā€™m not really familiar with making a PR.