Realistic hunger system

People can not suddenly feel hungry during intense , diverse activities , due to the fact that in most cases, we eat out of boredom, not necessity . The same with thirst , let during a firefight with the robots the mouth is dry up , but the man did not notice it until the end of the fight, so it does affect his decisions can not.

It is also fairly to many light drugs , depending on which is primarily psychological , not physical , such as nicotine or cannabis .

P.S. The man - a very adaptable creature , would like to see in the game the opportunity to adaptation to poisons and diseases (maybe even the emergence of positive mutations ), the possibility of hardening - adaptation to the low and high temperatures over time , and the potential to go naked at zero Celsius, without penalty ( I do it) . You can somehow relate this to the martial arts.

P.P.S. Is there a place for psionic?

by Google Translator

Thanx for attention. Awesome game and awesome devs.

+1 Intrested in the idea of a dynamic reaction of the player necessities based on the situation

Maybe a “Concentrated” condition that override hunger and thirst, only appear when engaging enemy or doing work require extensive attention (reading)? Basically this will temporary stop hunger and thirst from getting worse, but as soon as you return to normal the hunger and thirst will go back in full effect.

Weather you feel like eating or not, if your body is lacking sustenance it is lacking sustenance. I am not against hiding the fact the player is hunger or thirsty due to distraction, or claiming that he is due to inactivity, but I don’t want the penalties to be ignored. Otherwise, you could stave off starvation by… exerting yourself fighting zombies.

Adaptation to the apocalypse would indeed be a cool thing, sort of like “leveling up” your character’s resistances through exposure.

I didn’t really mean that the penalty being ignored, but “delayed”, while having “concentrated” the hunger and thirst (and temperature?) counter will continue to tick like normal but the effect is overridden, after exiting the concentrated state you will be immediately subjected to all the hunger/thirst effects that the counter at that time has counted to. This may sounds similar to the “Adrenaline Rush” trait and overlaps it a bit but in general has a weaker potential and more frequent.
To prevent abuses, this should have a limit of how long your body can ignore the hunger or increasing heat before give in to the effect.

I think the psionics were shot down.

We can go up to 3 or 4 weeks without food, but just only 3 days without water

maybe some malnutrition and dehydration effects

i hear about man, who live without water more than seven days.
We get most part of water from air by lungs and skin, so i think that very mm…forget word… Very NOT easy to die from thirst, if you doesn’t eat salt or not live in very warm climate. Sorry for my english,

This effect can come from the intersection of splitting hunger and appetite, and a short-term endurance system.
Basically when you’re exerting yourself somehow, it would suppress appetite, and then the exertion is over, your appetite would rebound back toward your actual level of hunger.
Drugs suppressing appetite instead of hunger is specifically something we want to happen by splitting appetite and hunger.

[quote=“WeendVidente, post:8, topic:3843”]i hear about man, who live without water more than seven days.
We get most part of water from air by lungs and skin, so i think that very mm…forget word… Very NOT easy to die from thirst, if you doesn’t eat salt or not live in very warm climate. Sorry for my english,[/quote]

This is not true. Sorry to be blunt, but it really isn’t, If you try to go a full 24 hours without water (food usually counts for a lot of our water) you start feeling incredibly terrible, by 48, you start pretty much shutting down. No one can last 7 days without some water intake.

The idea of a ‘concentrated’ status sounds good though, as adrenaline normally cuts through all the side affects.

This is not true. Sorry to be blunt, but it really isn't, If you try to go a full 24 hours without water (food usually counts for a lot of our water) you start feeling incredibly terrible, by 48, you start pretty much shutting down. No one can last 7 days without some water intake.

This only a gossip, i’m not believe in, but i believe that all is possible. I spend two days without water, and it’s wasn’t so terrible. But its offtopic, i think. Also i’m practing regular “healing starvings” for one week each month, without food, only with water and hard physical and psychical training and feel not discomphort absolutely. Human body - is very trange and powerful mechanism, i guarantee it. :slight_smile:

The amount of time you can spend without water varies significantly depending on conditions. The body needs that water because it uses it for stuff, and the less it uses the less you need and the longer it lasts.

As Binky mentioned, humans also get a larger chunk of their water from the food they eat, which is almost always full of water. So if you’re “going without water” but still eating, you aren’t going without water at all, you’ve just cut your intake a bit.

Anyway:

1. Appetite separation from hunger is planned, and will allow for this, so it s possible.
  2. Adaptations of some sort might be night, at least basic temperature acclimation. (Turns out the best time to visit the cold labs is the middle of winter when you’re body is best suited to handle the cold? Neat!)
  3. No. No psionics. At least, no psionics that aren’t derivec from an otherworldly artifact not fully within the players control, or through an actual physical mechanics. ‘psionics’ with an actual physical mechanism are fine, but in-game we call those ‘bionics’.

Hey, sorry if i screw up the topic a bit, but now that we are talking about “A realistic food system” can i show this little idea?

If someone drinks a lot of water, he-she will start feeling full, even if he-she didn’t ate before. So… what about a system where you have a “limit” of what you can eat and drink in little time, forcing you to eat accordingly to your situation everytime. If you drink too much water, you can’t eat anything. If you ate too much, you can’t drink too much water. If you do so, you start to vomit, to feel bad, even losing speed.

This would need a bit of a total rewrite, but it is an interesting concept.

I think a lot of people (including myself) have suggested separating hunger and thirst at some point, I’m glad to see it’s planned.

Once that’s in it should allow for things like drinking water affecting appetite for a while, without affecting your body’s need for nutrients.

Re: Dehydration is serious and deadly, it’s not ‘gossip,’ it has been studied like crazy all over the world. Here is a quick and easy video to watch on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3bjUu_ONjc

Although dehydration is certainly variable (the body uses its fluids for so many things that it would be impractical to list all the variables here) but suffice to say the longest a person can go with 0% fluid intake maxes out at about 7 days before things fail catastrophically, and well before that you’d still need hospitalization and treatment in order to recover properly from dehydration. Someone who is severely dehydrated cannot simply drink water to recover, as the balance of electrolytes and fluids in the body has become wildly dysfunctional, and by the time you have restored your body’s natural fluid levels you are likely to be suffering from water toxicity. Yes, water can be toxic when its levels vastly exceed the levels of electrolytes harbored in the cytoplasm, because it causes your cells to burst.

Yes, you can suffer from dehydration and water toxicity at the same time. This is why treatment of dehydration actually involves putting the patient on a slow electrolyte IV drip - they are literally putting sodium (salt) into your body along with fluids. Sounds counter-intuitive, I know.

Don’t mess around with dehydration.