Radios and Modular Parts

Firstly, a few uses for two-way radios.

Remote activated noise maker. Sync two handhelds, hide one somewhere (in a field of traps?) Sneak into the opposite side of town, set off the noisemaker, distraction!

Radio Beacon. Will need a Large Aerial construction or something, as well as a few other mods. Ability to load multiple batteries into it. Use: A cross-survivor game effect. Your survivor dies? Have your new one craft a Radio Direction Finder (Radio plus two more antenna) and go hunting for your old stash!
Later on, it could be used as a NPC attractor or something.

Modular parts:

So, We should have a collection of parts with basic interactions. Radios. Timers. Tripwires. Pressure pads. They all have outputs (and in the case of radios and timers, inputs as well.) Most items would have a “push button” activation that could ALSO be done with electronic parts. Make a ignition, and turn your grenade into a long-time delay. Or a booby trap. With a fully modular system, the only limit would be your creativity.

With bits like this, you could connect a radio to a block of C4, and have a remote detonated bomb, or chain a radio and a pressure pad to alert you to things in your shelter. Add a timer to the Beacon above, set for 24 hours. Keep resetting it when you return, result? 24 hours or less after your death, your radio beacon switches on.

I would like more options for crafting traps, but I’m hesitant to say we should make it modular. You seem to have covered quite a few of the available options, and I see no reason why we shouldn’t simply add those into the current crafting list. Granted, it would make the list a little more cluttered, but I think the devs are working on improving the useability of crafting anyway.

I would love to be able to set up longer tripwires attached to radios, so I could have a long range early warning system that could tell me what direction stuff was coming from. Especially after hoard movements and bandit raiders are implemented.

yes, that. also with solder, a screwdriver and a little bit of copper wire you should be able to craft remote activated bombs/molotovs/nukes … but just the ability to drop of noisemakers off at night/during a storm would be priceless cause radio’s suck when they can follow your scent.

cause you’d need parts in inventory you’d have to make some compromises in your loadout. uh, you could then call you self a stealth infiltrator, uh, a rogue! wow, wtf? you’re on to something here!

I like some of these ideas.
but if you can have it so your car explodes if you enter it without using a 2-way radio on it first…
or similar things.
I now want time-bomb cars where you must use it each day…

[quote=“AseaHeru, post:4, topic:527”]I like some of these ideas.
but if you can have it so your car explodes if you enter it without using a 2-way radio on it first…
or similar things.
I now want time-bomb cars where you must use it each day…[/quote]
Yikes! having to repeatedly postpone my car-mounted explosives (rather than, say, simply disabling the detonator & removing the explosives) isn’t my idea of fun, and about the only thing I can think of that could justify a car bomb might be a fungal spire…which die to a simple Molotov anyway.

Now, if car bombs could damage other Z-levels, it might be worth using one to take out a triffid grove or ant colony. My character still can’t take on more than one soldier ant at a time.

(Remotely-triggered X is generally a good thing, so I support the general idea.)

[size=24pt]Win![/size]