Questions about mutation/trait making

So I’m a newb here, and I know nothing of coding or anything along these lines. I only downloaded Notepad++ a day ago and have learned some stuff about json from looking at other mods’ json files. But thats all i know, so i’d still say that I’ve only scratched the surface.

So I’m thinking about creating a set of mutations inspired from mutations such as Chitin Plate, meaning with integarted armors, in to a separate mod rather than just modifying files in /data/json.

What im curious about is:

1. Can I use black dragon scales from Magiclysm as armour material? If so how?
    Do i need to add its id, function and all? Cuz i had to do something similar when making a recipe mod. I had to add the item id, description, everything after making a craft and uncraft recipe and I had to write where to copy it from just in case.

2. Even if i create the mutation, what will dictate its appearance?
    Cuz appearance has confused me in base game Json files too. Like Thick Scales have “colour”: “light_red” but appear dark green like its description. Or how CHITIN3 has “colour”: “brown”, but the sprite apears dark gray.

3. Does creating my own sprites, or modifying a pre-existing one need me to do something about tilesets? Because unlike json, i have no idea what tilesets are and how they usually work.
    Or is it like in items which have a “looks like” code i could use. Like i could set an integrated armour to look like integrated_chitin3_armour or the Crustacean Carapace (dont remember its id) but change its sprite colour?

4. Is it possible to add mutations like Disease Immune or Infection Immune (also forgot their ids) in the "flag"s of other mutations?
    Like how Mycus Fireproofing has “HEATIMMUNE” flag?

Can I use black dragon scales from Magiclysm as armour material? If so how?

If they are defined in the mod’s material.json sure, otherwise you’ll have to add them as such

Even if i create the mutation, what will dictate its appearance?

The tileset you are using.

Does creating my own sprites, or modifying a pre-existing one need me to do something about tilesets?

Yes.

Looks_like for items will make them copy that item’s sprite. (I do not know if looks_like functions for mutations, check the docs)

1. Is it possible to add mutations like Disease Immune or Infection Immune (also forgot their ids) in the "flag"s of other mutations?
    Like how Mycus Fireproofing has “HEATIMMUNE” flag?

If they are flags, sure.

1 Like

Thank you!
Is there a tileset editor you’d recommend?
In general where can i download tilesets? haven’t touched them at all.

If your looking to make tiles, got recommended this before for making tiles for CDDA.

Aseprite:

1 Like

Thank you for answering!

1 Like