Power, Power Plants, and Electronics through city

Basically, Brings power to the world that doesn’t work in the first place.

Putting light switches on walls presuming that wouldn’t work at first or the first couple of days would work. in general having copper wires throughout houses to different appliances. and they won’t work if there isn’t power in the grid.

also having a whole power plant that has it’s own way of producing power from solar power, to coal, oil, or even nuclear.

I also think that would make it where there could be a fun new Building to explore that i could imagine would have an excess of robots and shocker zombies wandering about.

Another thing would be more electronic craftables like plastic coated wires so you don’t electrocute yourself.

Another thing about power plants i think would be is some sort of explanation on why the power went out in the first place like if it just simply ran out of fuel, somethings are broken, or it simply blew up like nuclear plants tend to after an apocalypse.

on the last note i could imagine power plants would be relativley huge like 10 by 10 tiles are the power plant grounds to have a nice exploration in or smaller plants 5 by 5. in the case if it would be a solar power plant i could see it taking up a bit more room cause of all the panels.

I think me and a few guys (And devs) had a conversation about this… And they said no to powerplants (If my memory serves me correctly) but they said yes to generators.

“Another thing about power plants i think would be is some sort of explanation on why the power went out in the first place like if it just simply ran out of fuel, somethings are broken, or it simply blew up like nuclear plants tend to after an apocalypse.”

Apocalypse = No one to run power plants, water works, ect.

No one to run power plants, water works, ect = No power, running water, ect.

Yeah until we get NPC towns in (which could have running power plants, but are quite a long ways off) about the only power plants that are going to keep working would be hydroelectric dams, and even those are likely to have stopped as the last people to leave them shut them down instead of just walking out.

Most power plants/waterworks are designed to run unstaffed for about 50 years. So shorten it to maybe… 10 weeks game time. At which point all electronics stop working, lights, pcs, card readers, alarms etc

Not really. Maybe back in the 20’s. But ‘modern’ tech is wasted after a few weeks without maintenance.

something i dont get… theres no electricity in game, but some of the computers are working. . . i wonder how maybe invisible generators xD

I vote “YES” for clean power, and always will.
Maybe a hotel is running on solar power? Out there must be a field dedicated to harvesting wind’s energies, right? All of this stuff isn’t so difficult to code, other than stuff that I’ve been writing about at some point (self-sustainable, fully-recycleable home powering systems that can even sustain a small community if set properly) that takes some dedication to actually make an improvement.
To stay on topic, hydro and thermal plants are surely shut down and are off the grid. Such are the fusion and fission ones, suspended until someone skilled enough has the means to activate them.

[quote=“vultures, post:8, topic:2304”]I vote “YES” for clean power, and always will.
Maybe a hotel is running on solar power? Out there must be a field dedicated to harvesting wind’s energies, right? All of this stuff isn’t so difficult to code, other than stuff that I’ve been writing about at some point (self-sustainable, fully-recycleable home powering systems that can even sustain a small community if set properly) that takes some dedication to actually make an improvement.
To stay on topic, hydro and thermal plants are surely shut down and are off the grid. Such are the fusion and fission ones, suspended until someone skilled enough has the means to activate them.[/quote]

Good points.

I get the feeling that similar to Fallout quite a few things have internal nuclear cells.

As for power plants, the history channel did a nice little thing on this, the basic timeline of which is available on wikipedia. The basic breakdown is:
2-3 hours after - Coal plants (which supply 50% of our electricity) shut down.
4-6 hours after - Wind plants still work, but without anyone regulating the supply the computers automatically shut their outputs off. (Pennsylvania goes out)
7-12 hours after - Niagra falls and some other dams attempt to flush water but end up being overwhelmed by the amount not being able to be managed properly. Pretty much everything on the East coast that hasn’t lost power loses it now. (Note: some of the bigger dams on the West coast, notably the Hoover dam, will continue to function for a year or so. Too bad we aren’t on that side of the country eh? :P)
1 day after - only power still functioning is small time solar panels (since the big plants all shut down automatically) and Nuclear plants.
10 days after - Nuclear rod storage tanks boil dry. Massive fires and giant clouds of nuclear steam are released.
1-10 years - Depending on location small time solar panels finally fail after 1-10 years as dirt chips and covers the solar panels.

:confused: I don’t think a powerplant would run 1 day without anybody staffing it.

Maybe in the future they work for a while unstaffed. Or loads of stuff is run from internal batteries that eventually burn out. Lights in houses and flickering street lights would be nice. Perhaps houses have a charge meter on the door outside. which tells the player the state of the battery running the house and how much charge it has left 5k being the maximum and 0 being dead. Street lights run fine for a few days. Then 1 by one they start to flicker and eventually either the bulb breaks causing broken glass to fall to the floor or they burn out and just stop. Some could spawn already flickering. Others already dead. Houses could spawn with lights on in some rooms, all rooms and or not at all.