Potato masher

Actually I thought the main advantages of potato mashers is that their cord and ball fuse made them effective as bobbytraps, so you could place one in a doorway to give the next guy a very nasty surprise.

So basically KA101 and the rest of the people on this thread want explosive potato masher.

Doesn’t it have a regular name?
Then again, grenades are just plain grenades.

What would be the in-game difference between a grenade and a potato masher?

Stick grenade.

And while it breaks physics. I do not mind giving it a range bonus.

For fun/game balance.

Hmm, looking around, it seems they could be thrown about the same distance, but everyone gives an edge to the potato masher.

Supposedly the lever (handle) lets you put more force on the thing, send it further.
Now, while Wikipedia claims it could be thrown twice as far, (30-40m instead of 15m), the source they cite is ‘Weaponology’, and that pineapple throwing distance is abysmal, (with another source, arguably more credible, which pegs it closer to 20-35m on the same page).
However, there are a couple things that could account for this: when training, soldiers were instructed to throw the things in a shotput manner to reduce the chances of arm injuries. This’d obviously decrease throwing distance.
In addition to that, someone argued that while under fire, people aren’t as likely to follow-through. They won’t throw them as far as they can at the range, (perhaps the lever helps with that as well?)
Lastly it’s suggested encumbering clothing could hamper grenade-throwing, but I don’t really see that being the case in WW2 when no one had body armor.

[quote=“Cherry, post:22, topic:5200”]So basically KA101 and the rest of the people on this thread want explosive potato masher.

What would be the in-game difference between a grenade and a potato masher?[/quote]Stielhandgranate

[quote=“Cherry, post:22, topic:5200”]So basically KA101 and the rest of the people on this thread want explosive potato masher.

What would be the in-game difference between a grenade and a potato masher?[/quote]

Can I point out that in this daft reality place as gunpowder gets older it gets unstable, which is one of those things games don’t bother to point out and that in “It’s the Future!” land that’d make explosives from the 40s a little unstable? Or inert? Nice little tossup.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:26, topic:5200”][quote=“Cherry, post:22, topic:5200”]So basically KA101 and the rest of the people on this thread want explosive potato masher.

What would be the in-game difference between a grenade and a potato masher?[/quote]

Can I point out that in this daft reality place as gunpowder gets older it gets unstable, which is one of those things games don’t bother to point out and that in “It’s the Future!” land that’d make explosives from the 40s a little unstable? Or inert? Nice little tossup.[/quote]I have friends who shoot old soviet ammo in their Mosin Nagants that was made in the 1920s that is still good and reliable. As long as it’s stored in a cool dry place ammunition can keep for a very long time.

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:27, topic:5200”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:26, topic:5200”][quote=“Cherry, post:22, topic:5200”]So basically KA101 and the rest of the people on this thread want explosive potato masher.

Can I point out that in this daft reality place as gunpowder gets older it gets unstable, which is one of those things games don’t bother to point out and that in “It’s the Future!” land that’d make explosives from the 40s a little unstable? Or inert? Nice little tossup.[/quote]I have friends who shoot old soviet ammo in their Mosin Nagants that was made in the 1920s that is still good and reliable. As long as it’s stored in a cool dry place ammunition can keep for a very long time.[/quote]

Are you positive it’s actually from the 20s? Because the bombsquad had to be called to clean out a house full of WW1 ammo when my mom and dad were together still. Not to mention so many people buy those rifles that it’s profitable to make new ammo for them.

Besides that what are the odds you’re going to find a crate of non-disarmed/demilitarized WW2 era grenades?

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:28, topic:5200”][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:27, topic:5200”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:26, topic:5200”][quote=“Cherry, post:22, topic:5200”]So basically KA101 and the rest of the people on this thread want explosive potato masher.

Can I point out that in this daft reality place as gunpowder gets older it gets unstable, which is one of those things games don’t bother to point out and that in “It’s the Future!” land that’d make explosives from the 40s a little unstable? Or inert? Nice little tossup.[/quote]I have friends who shoot old soviet ammo in their Mosin Nagants that was made in the 1920s that is still good and reliable. As long as it’s stored in a cool dry place ammunition can keep for a very long time.[/quote]

Are you positive it’s actually from the 20s? Because the bombsquad had to be called to clean out a house full of WW1 ammo when my mom and dad were together still. Not to mention so many people buy those rifles that it’s profitable to make new ammo for them.

Besides that what are the odds you’re going to find a crate of non-disarmed/demilitarized WW2 era grenades?[/quote]Do you live in the UK?

Er, wasn’t suggesting genuine potato mashers, suggesting ‘grenade on a stick’.

Incorrect. The entire purpose of the stick was to increase that throwing range; it’s why the Nazis taught their Soldaten to sling them sideways from the hip like a tomahawk. It’s pretty basic physics, and as GrizzlyAdamz pointed out, it was common knowledge among the Allies that the Germans had superior hand grenade range - and they knew this from first-hand experience.

Gunpowder that’s been properly stored in a dry environment doesn’t go bad. Ever. Also, as far as in situ explosives go, keep in mind that there’s entire forests in Europe where you still can’t enter because they’re full of active and very deadly landmines that were planted there by Nazi Pionieren back in the 40s.

Plus they are much larger and heavier to carry around. I can see survivors making the but finding them 40 years into the future is stretching it pretty heavy.

Yep, that was their only real downside. Extra mass meant carrying less granaten und munition. Still it wasn’t nearly as clever as the Japanese Kyūkyū-shiki Teryūdan Type 99 grenade, which could be deployed from a launcher as well as being used as a standard hand-thrown munition or emplaced boobytrap. On the other side of the coin the Model 24 Stielhandgranate wasn’t likely to misfire or explode in the user’s face either, unlike the Type 99 and virtually every other weapon employed by the Imperial Japanese Army.

So how does the game calculate throwing range anyways.

I thought lighter = more range.
Stick granate would obviously be a lil’ heavier.

Soo…

Can we get mashed potatoes implemented along with the potato masher? I mean, we have baked potatoes, but everyone who’s anyone knows the real joy of spud is in mashing them, mixing them with seasoning, and eating.

Morale boost for making the mashed potatoes, morale boost for eating them. Potatoes just keep on giving.

[quote=“OvenBaker, post:36, topic:5200”]Morale boost for making the mashed potatoes, morale boost for eating them. Potatoes just keep on giving.[/quote]And morale penalty for making mashed survivor XD

Hmm, would butchering/smashing give or take morale?
I’d air on take, even for something like a deer I don’t think it’d be pleasant work.

[quote=“GrizzlyAdamz, post:38, topic:5200”]Hmm, would butchering/smashing give or take morale?
I’d air on take, even for something like a deer I don’t think it’d be pleasant work.[/quote]New trait: Hunter
No morale drop for butchering corpses.