Please create step by step newb guides for modding please

we need some guides on how to mod simple stuff:

-Add new clothing

-Add new guns

-Add new items

add item properties

im lost at this stuff, dont know where to begin. etc.

I wouldn’t even know where to tell you to begin. I just started opening files and messing with things. The structure becomes pretty apparent once you’ve looked inside a few .json files, and simple string-searches can show you how it all links together.

This is most likely how all modders here started since there’s no guides around. That’s how I start in pretty much all mod friendly games. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re right ofcourse, its pretty evident on where what goes where and what does what, but for leaves some obvious questions lingering. Like how the game uses the changes for one.

So does the world gen handle the mechanics on the .jsons as whatever is there will be plased randomly throughout the world based on preconfigured settings like: Ranged will probably end up spawning in gun stores, where as plastic containers may find themselves in liquor stores? Or what?

Item spawn rules are in item_groups.json.

I think he hoped for a header-like comment to .json files altogether, the one that explains various integers and floats along with different flags. Likewise:

;The Bionics .json file for Cataclysm:_DDA 0.8 Stable ;"id" - the internal ident for the item parsed by the program ;"name" - screen name of the item ;"cost" - item usage in units of bionic power ;"time" - turns active for the item (when drawing power, for ex.) ;"flags" - features of the item that point to the properties' definitions ;"description" - when viewing the information via Bionics screen in-game, this will be shown

The hardest part, in my opinion isn’t learning how to mod. It’s all pretty straightforward. it’s just formated in a way that makes my eyes bleed.

it’sallwriteninlongwindedblockyformatthatjustkeepsgoingonandonandoninonelongincrediblyunbrokensentancemovingfromitemtoitemsothatyoureyesdon’thaveachancetofigureoutwhatthehellisgoingon.

…So what I’m getting at is some formatting would be a blessing. …Is that even possible?

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:7, topic:3569”]The hardest part, in my opinion isn’t learning how to mod. It’s all pretty straightforward. it’s just formated in a way that makes my eyes bleed.

it’sallwriteninlongwindedblockyformatthatjustkeepsgoingonandonandoninonelongincrediblyunbrokensentancemovingfromitemtoitemsothatyoureyesdon’thaveachancetofigureoutwhatthehellisgoingon.

…So what I’m getting at is some formatting would be a blessing. …Is that even possible?[/quote]

It’s formatted fine, just don’t use Notepad. Wordpad shows the formatting but will add funky blankspace characters to the files that make the game crash. Notepad++ works fine though, and it’s free: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

[quote=“ramesesniblet, post:8, topic:3569”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:7, topic:3569”]The hardest part, in my opinion isn’t learning how to mod. It’s all pretty straightforward. it’s just formated in a way that makes my eyes bleed.

…So what I’m getting at is some formatting would be a blessing. …Is that even possible?[/quote]

It’s formatted fine, just don’t use Notepad. Wordpad shows the formatting but will add funky blankspace characters to the files that make the game crash. Notepad++ works fine though, and it’s free: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/[/quote]

…You have no idea what you have loosed.

A useful link is this (which can also be found if you download the code version of the game): JSON_INFO.md.
It’s got most of the information about the various JSON entry fields, though it might get a tiny bit behind at times.

This may sounds harsh but modding isn’t newbs friendly and is not for people who can’t do it without a guide. It is something you have to learn by yourself most of the time. Play with the files, see if there’s any changes in the game and try things.