Pitfill bug? (split from Tips/Tricks/Questions)

so I’ve found a farm and decided to set up a base here, however there’s a bunch of pits in front of the farmhouse and shed, how do i get rid of them? the fill pit option is grayed out and i do have a shovel that should be able to do the job

Quick check: is the terrain when you farlook (:wink: at it marked as a pit, or is there just the trap? If it’s the terrain, then I’m not sure what’s wrong, but it’s possible that we could be tossing trap flags w/o the terrain mod, which led to non-fillable pits when I did a quick spot-check.

using (:wink: it seems to be only marked as a pit

when I examine the pit it says it looks too dangerous to mess with. best leave it alone

Edit: since its a bug i shall also mention this is in version 2a99218

[quote=“Ember, post:3, topic:8483”]using (:wink: it seems to be only marked as a pit

when I examine the pit it says it looks too dangerous to mess with. best leave it alone[/quote]

Yeah, that’s the standard for traps that can’t be disarmed by hand. I checked the dirt lot terrain and those pits were fillable. What shovel are you using? Trowels and digging sticks can’t effectively fill pits.

(Haven’t had traps come up in the farmhouse tile, and on my dev build the dirt lot pits are fillable with an entrenching tool. Is this the “farm” or a “dirt lot” tile on the map?)

screenshot of the farm with the traps, not the farmhouse im at currently though, but i had the same issue when i took that screenshot, if you wish i can provide the save if its needed

im using a standard shovel with a digging quality of 3

[quote=“Ember, post:5, topic:8483”]

screenshot of the farm with the traps, not the farmhouse im at currently though, but i had the same issue when i took that screenshot, if you wish i can provide the save if its needed

im using a standard shovel with a digging quality of 3[/quote]

OK. I’ve just looked and that’s a rare farm you’ve got. Betting an issue with the mapgen code; the save might be handy to verify but I don’t think we’ll need it.

What I think is happening is that mapgen code calls add_trap, which adds the fact that there’s a pit trap there (the part that makes you fall in) without calling ter_set to add the pit terrain, which can be filled, covered, spiked, glassed, or combinations thereof. So you’ve a Dangerous Pit that doesn’t actually exist.

Bad news is that even digging a real pit and filling that in won’t clear the pit trap: I just checked. You’re authorized to use the debug menu to remove the pit traps; dig & fill shallow ones if you like as a time-compensation but it’s not mandatory. I’ll see if I can throw a fix up real quick-like.

And thanks for reporting.

unrelated to bug report sorry

(click to show/hide) screenshot of the farm with the traps, not the farmhouse im at currently though, but i had the same issue when i took that screenshot, if you wish i can provide the save if its needed

im using a standard shovel with a digging quality of 3

whats this!!! the epic return of goggles mcboggles? or is that just a standard one size fits all female character… I have no way to know since game doesn’t like macs V.V. sorry if overly nooby there.

Rivet merged the fix last night, and that’s a generi-char unfortunately.

We have tileset code to support mutations & gear getting paperdolled onto the char, and I’m all in favor of a different sprite (someone pointed out curtseying is not a good post-apoc stance), though. Just needs the arting and the PR.

(I’d merge variable ethnicity, but that seems like it’d need either a 0-point trait (potential flamewars) or a specific chargen option. Not the easiest to code.)

Unfortunately, I ran into the same bug while playing on the 0.B stable release (windows Tiles/SDL).

Why does the code generate a pit as both a terrain feature and as a trap? unless modified, the pit is no more of a trap than a clean window frame; its only purpose is to slow down potential enemies. It is only when the player modifies the pit that it becomes a trap, i.e. when they add spikes or glass shards to the bottom of the pit.

Therefore, may I suggest that you remove the mapgen code that calls for add_trap? I would do it myself, but I only know basic code logic, not the actual C++ language that the game uses.

[quote=“SKiPPY, post:9, topic:8483”]Unfortunately, I ran into the same bug while playing on the 0.B stable release (windows Tiles/SDL).

Why does the code generate a pit as both a terrain feature and as a trap? unless modified, the pit is no more of a trap than a clean window frame; its only purpose is to slow down potential enemies. It is only when the player modifies the pit that it becomes a trap, i.e. when they add spikes or glass shards to the bottom of the pit.

Therefore, may I suggest that you remove the mapgen code that calls for add_trap? I would do it myself, but I only know basic code logic, not the actual C++ language that the game uses.[/quote]
Because enemies take damage when they fall into pits, unlike the window frames. And taking damage requires them to have a trap.