PC Builds for Gaming!

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but it’s here now, so :stuck_out_tongue:
Wanted to know what PC Builds you guys play on (not just CDDA, even though it’s a very graphic-intensive game).
I have a Dell laptop that can run Fallout: New Vegas with some lag, and I’ll be getting a new pc in January. So I need some input as to how I’m gonna build it. With a budget of $5000 bucks, I doubt I could get much, but you tech-savvy people out there might know how to effectively allocate that money.
Thanks in advance. :smiley:

Are u trolling or? Lol.

$5000 will get u a beast of a machine what that’s about £2500.

If u can’t build a monster for that I would advise to look else where for your components as there obviously charging wayyyyyyy to much.
I’m on phone right now but if I get time later shall spec u a machine.

1 Like

That was supposed to be 3000, sorry. And yeaj, please do. I have zero experience with PC building, and need input.

With 1300 Euros I managed to buy one hell of a computer, it can smoothly run Arma 3 (60 fps with medium-high settings), and everything else at high or even ultra/maxed out settings. And with everything else I mean Space Engineers, Rainbow Six: Siege, Metro 2033, Stalker, Civilization V, Minecraft, Borlerlands 2, and 45 more games, even Red Orchestra 2!. And I didn’t even build it myself! I had someone do it for me, so that’s more money into service and less into hardware.
With a budget of 3000$ you won’t even have to look at settings for the next 4-5 years, just set everything to max and don’t use 4K and you will always have at least 60 fps, no matter the game.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rm9C4C

$3,500 build cost.

i’ll get started on the second machine that’s even more insane i had planned on building sometime though and post a link for that if $5k is really burning a hole in your pocket.

done, $3,983 build cost this will game the shit out of just about anything at 1440p and you might even be able to fantasize about 4k sometime:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xxcM4C

monitor, mouse, keyboard, not included.

About 1-2 years ago I saw in Dwarf Fortress forums discussion about THE machine to run DF. Turned out it’s not so much about the CPU but the RAM properties. So for something like DF, you’d want low latency RAM, if you intend to play huge maps and manage hundreds of dorfs. And a high clock freq CPU. I can’t say if there are performance differences between Linux, Mac, and Windows versions.

A dedicated box to run DF should be prettttty affordable…

[quote=“TooDAMNMuch, post:5, topic:13051”]https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rm9C4C

$3,500 build cost.

i’ll get started on the second machine that’s even more insane i had planned on building sometime though and post a link for that if $5k is really burning a hole in your pocket.

done, $3,983 build cost this will game the shit out of just about anything at 1440p and you might even be able to fantasize about 4k sometime:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xxcM4C

monitor, mouse, keyboard, not included.[/quote]

You don’t need a $3,000 dollar computer to play the latest games at a good framerate. I’m building a computer with a $750 dollar budget and based on minimum system specs on games like Rainbow Six: Seige and GTA-V. I can run them at max with almost no drop in framerate.

My advice is to search for tutorials on how to build a computer and videos on budget PC builds. They’re can be very helpful with building your first PC.

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:6, topic:13051”]About 1-2 years ago I saw in Dwarf Fortress forums discussion about THE machine to run DF. Turned out it’s not so much about the CPU but the RAM properties. So for something like DF, you’d want low latency RAM, if you intend to play huge maps and manage hundreds of dorfs. And a high clock freq CPU. I can’t say if there are performance differences between Linux, Mac, and Windows versions.

A dedicated box to run DF should be prettttty affordable…[/quote]

that makes a lot of sense yes, i was tempted to not build with the g.skill ram i ultimately went with, but after comparing the timings and latency differences, nothing but 3000mhz ddr 4 made much sense, it has a HUGE and i mean gaping maw of a latency tradeoff, with any other manufacturer than g.skill you’re stuck with horrible latency, they were clear and away the obvious, ONLY choice to make.

also, looky what i just ordered:

[quote=“Mike64, post:8, topic:13051”]You don’t need a $3,000 dollar computer to play the latest games at a good framerate. I’m building a computer with a $750 dollar budget and based on minimum system specs on games like Rainbow Six: Seige and GTA-V. I can run them at max with almost no drop in framerate.

My advice is to search for tutorials on how to build a computer and videos on budget PC builds. They’re can be very helpful with building your first PC.[/quote]
this is actually very true, however…

monitors like the pg278q/pg279q and pg348q are THE reason to build a $3 and a half thousand dollar PC, i barely notice the difference of anti-aliasing settings in games with my old pg278q due to it being 1440p 2560x1440 resolution, the pixels are just that much smaller, that much denser, but it does take a bit more horsepower to push such large resolutions, i simply cannot wait to see the improvement 3440x1440 resolution makes over 1440p.

also, i will just say, m2 is the way to go for solid state drives, just don’t even consider it, do it now if your machine is capable and if it’s not, start planning to upgrade, i got an absolutely tiny samsung 950 m2 ssd and it’s benchmark scores for read/write times across the board are literally, TRIPLE my other nice SSD(s)(including ones owned/used in the past) i think not getting a half gig m2 ssd to install windows or your other OS onto these days, is just plain and simply doing the job halfway.

of course i ONLY install the OS to it, no games, no swapfile, no downloads and especially no torrents ever get saved to that drive, it does have finite uses after all.

Thanks for all the replies! And yes, I will actually look and see for myself the specifics of the PC build I want. I didn’t expect such technical answers, though. (I think I expected a community based around an ASCII/tiles game wouldn’t have to know that much about nice PC’s - guess I was wrong :P) And I’m glad that you PC’s don’t have to be that expensive to run good;the most I’ve gotten in terms of tutorials on PC-building was from rich gaming YouTubers lol. I’m talking $5000-dollar budget beasts. So I’ll take some money away from the PC fund and put it somewhere more practical.
Also, the only reason I ask on here (besides sometimes trusting this community’s folks more than any other resource) is I currently don’t have access to proper net. I’m on 1-bar 3g right now xD

[quote=“TooDAMNMuch, post:9, topic:13051”][quote=“BeerBeer, post:6, topic:13051”]About 1-2 years ago I saw in Dwarf Fortress forums discussion about THE machine to run DF. Turned out it’s not so much about the CPU but the RAM properties. So for something like DF, you’d want low latency RAM, if you intend to play huge maps and manage hundreds of dorfs. And a high clock freq CPU. I can’t say if there are performance differences between Linux, Mac, and Windows versions.

A dedicated box to run DF should be prettttty affordable…[/quote]

that makes a lot of sense yes, i was tempted to not build with the g.skill ram i ultimately went with, but after comparing the timings and latency differences, nothing but 3000mhz ddr 4 made much sense, it has a HUGE and i mean gaping maw of a latency tradeoff, with any other manufacturer than g.skill you’re stuck with horrible latency, they were clear and away the obvious, ONLY choice to make.

also, looky what i just ordered:

[quote=“Mike64, post:8, topic:13051”]You don’t need a $3,000 dollar computer to play the latest games at a good framerate. I’m building a computer with a $750 dollar budget and based on minimum system specs on games like Rainbow Six: Seige and GTA-V. I can run them at max with almost no drop in framerate.

My advice is to search for tutorials on how to build a computer and videos on budget PC builds. They’re can be very helpful with building your first PC.[/quote]
this is actually very true, however…

monitors like the pg278q/pg279q and pg348q are THE reason to build a $3 and a half thousand dollar PC, i barely notice the difference of anti-aliasing settings in games with my old pg278q due to it being 1440p 2560x1440 resolution, the pixels are just that much smaller, that much denser, but it does take a bit more horsepower to push such large resolutions, i simply cannot wait to see the improvement 3440x1440 resolution makes over 1440p.

also, i will just say, m2 is the way to go for solid state drives, just don’t even consider it, do it now if your machine is capable and if it’s not, start planning to upgrade, i got an absolutely tiny samsung 950 m2 ssd and it’s benchmark scores for read/write times across the board are literally, TRIPLE my other nice SSD(s)(including ones owned/used in the past) i think not getting a half gig m2 ssd to install windows or your other OS onto these days, is just plain and simply doing the job halfway.

of course i ONLY install the OS to it, no games, no swapfile, no downloads and especially no torrents ever get saved to that drive, it does have finite uses after all.[/quote]

Man Jesus christ that’s one hell of a rig. Though I do have to say that I’m not the one who grips when there aren’t enough pixels on screen, so for me, a $750 PC is perfect. But boy, if I had the money for a $3-$5 thousand dollar rig I would totally go for it.

OP, don’t take advice from here.

Go to https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/ and tell them what it is that you want the PC to be capable of and your budget.

And TooDAMNMuch, how old is that build you have?

[quote=“X-PLODE, post:12, topic:13051”]OP, don’t take advice from here.

Go to Forums - PCPartPicker and tell them what it is that you want the PC to be capable of and your budget.

And TooDAMNMuch, how old is that build you have?[/quote]

i think… two years?
i built it before the rampage v extreme U3.1 was available.

i didn’t think i was a resolution snob until my current 1440p monitor died while moving and a friend loaned me a 35" 1080p TV to use meanwhile, it feels like i’ve traveled back in time going back to 1080p for gaming, so that’s a big reason why i went with 3440x1440 resolution instead of another 2560x1440 replacement.

From what I can tell from reading this, you have a budget that’ll allow you to build a massively powerful PC, and you don’t know alot about computers. I’m just going to say that before putting loads of money into buying the parts you want, make sure you know how to put them together. Building a PC is pretty easy when you know what you’re doing, but it’s also pretty easy to get something wrong and ruin a very expensive part, or if you’re really unlucky, multiple parts.

I believe there is a subreddit on Reddit that is specially for people like you looking to build your own PCs, they are pretty knowledgeable and as far as i know the sub exists to help people

Might be a good source of advice, your budget seems big enough that you can certainly afford something top of the line

[quote=“Wyzack, post:15, topic:13051”]I believe there is a subreddit on Reddit that is specially for people like you looking to build your own PCs, they are pretty knowledgeable and as far as i know the sub exists to help people

Might be a good source of advice, your budget seems big enough that you can certainly afford something top of the line[/quote]
Those people are stupid, /lowendgaming actually knows hardware better then /buildapc or /pcmr.

Pcpartpicker forum is the best for interesting combinations based on power+price.