Overwriting NPC snippets

I am working on a mod which replaces insults, <name_b> in data/json/npc/talk_tags.json completely so it only uses my custom set. So I created modinfo.json and put the following in in talk_tags.json:

[
  {
    "type": "snippet",
    "category": "<name_b>",
    "//": "generic negative/hostile pronouns",
    "text": [
      "lutefisk",
      "protein ration",
      "wastebread"
    ]
  }
]

Yet when I create a new world and choose the mod I just created, which looks correct and all, and steal something from the refugee center, they still use the old insults, so it is probably appending those instead of completely overwriting the snippet.
Is there a way to completely overwrite it? I tried to add the same category but make "text" an empty array but that did not seem to work either.

The purpose of that mod is to replace all the mean insults with some more humorous ones.

I am planning to solve this problem in a PR. The general idea is to allow all snippets to have tags which can distinguish between insults and harmonious ones.

I am already working on this small mod, but I fear that we can not overwrite or clear snippets and only append. Might be a technical limitation. It would be great if we could do this to just clear the snippet and replace it:

[
  {
    "text": []
  },
  {
    "text": [ "this is the only insult now" ]
  }
]

If you could implement the above in a PR this would be absolutely great.

What I want to do is to subdivide the types of snippets, not just to distinguish insults. This requires some C++ code changes.

This is the draft: