Overpowered / Bored, What to do now?

Try copying the save file and pasting it into the lastest experimental. You might get it to work. If not, if you really want to export your character, perhaps play around with the maximum trait points and give a new character all the attributes of the old.

Personally, when I got bored I started a character under rules that contrast with the increased spawning factor, instead making it more difficult to survive the daily grind. From the default, make these changes:

[ul]Debug:
[list][li]Default. If you are getting frustrated, turn max trait points to 16/turn skillrust to intcap.[/li][/list]

World Gen:
[list][li]Mods to use: Medieval (not for weapons, but armor options), Old Guns (see gameplay as to why)[/li]
[li]Size of cities: 1[/li]
[li]Item spawn scaling factor: 0.33[/li]
[li]Spawn rate scaling factor: 0.5 (less enemies means a tougher time finding items on corpses)[/li][/list]

Char Gen:
[list][li]Required Trait: Meat Intolerance.[/li]
[li]Required Trait: Junkfood Intolerance.[/li][/list]

Gameplay:
[list][li]Required playstyle: The things you have an intolerance of are things you are not allowed to eat at all. You’ll find that wheat is a gift from the almighty.[/li]
[li]Required playstyle: When fighting you may only wield your bare hands, weapons that fire paper cartridges, and thrown splash items and explosives.[/li]
[li]Ultimate goal: Craft for yourself a flintlock. This is much harder than it sounds, since towns are almost always just 4 buildings, usually houses, often with next to zero zombies. The tools you had taken for granted: forge, swage and die, even the hammer, Become woefully difficult to find or craft since you’ll have a tough time getting them in even public works locations and crafting them without their corequisites.[/li]
[/list][/ul]

Wow, You guys are really bored arent you?

When ever I get bored I just pull my humvee’s handbrake when i want to stop and make it slide (Screeeeeeee). That only works for my short attention span and limited brain capacity though.

Well, I’ll guess I share one of my challenge modes here as well.

Debug: Skill rust - your choice.

World Gen:

Size of Cities: 6
Item Spawn scaling factor: 0.1
Initial Season: Summer
Season Length: 31
Spawn rate scaling factor: 10.0
Static Spawns - True.
Wander Spawns - True.
No Npc’s
Everything else Default.

No artificial game play difficulties.

I call this setting the “Tourist Season”.

Ten times as many zombies as normal with Hordes make it really difficult to get a proper foothold in cities and greatly lowers the “free time” you can spend for reading & crafting.
Only 10% of the item spawn greatly reduces the “freebies” you can find in buildings, thus greatly encouraging salvaging and crafting your own materials/tools from whatever you can manage to get.
The starting point is the beginning of a long and hot summer that rapidly spoils any non preserved food and prevents you from wearing much clothing due to heat.

Lore:

In this parallel world the state designed a long and heavily advertised tourism packages to increase the profits gained from tourism to offset the ever increasing budget requirements of XEDRA and the expanded army forces.
This venture also served a secondary purpose, to muffle the currently rising civil unrest and giving the citizens something nice and positive to prepare to and to think about.

However when the SHTF happened airports and ports were promptly closed trapping the unlucky tourists with the populace of New England to face the Cataclysm.
Due to the temporarily greatly increased amount of populace most of the scarce supplies and food were consumed in just a few days and looting quickly cleaned up the rest, leaving the few remaining survivors almost no resources or tools for continued survival against the now even more massive hordes of the undead.

(I like adding custom lore to my challenges, makes em more immersive)

Depends on whether you want to die spectacularly/want a challenge/want a harder game next time.

To die spectacularly id recommend mininukes (or powerful explosives generally as your primary weapon). Clearing a town by luring zombies into houses and setting them on fire and trying to get out at the last moment is a laugh. Recently ive been knocking out motorbikes with as many V8s as I can in them and trying for cross country land speed records, I find its a good way to end.
Probably the hardest ‘normal’ challenge the game has is getting to the bottom of a slime pit. They are dark, contain basically no usable loot and you will be surrounded on most floors by blobs. You will need to take everything you need for a veeery long constant fight all the way to the bottom and then back up again.

For you next game though, try with static spawn off and city size up, clearing cities out properly can be a herculean task by hand. You also have to be a fair bit more cunning to get to the decent shops, Ive found no static spawn to be the generally harder way to play.

Grab the experimental (they are generally pretty stable) and try with hordes on. Hordes where stupidly huge last time I checked.

Other than that, either a gimped char/spawn rate up/loot rate down/etc.

Sometimes I ser citysize to max so the entire map is just one giant sprawl and pretend New York or something is ovverrun and youre smack dab in the middle. Hordes on, no static and increased spawn rates. Fun stuff.

I just go and keep working on my house and looting…

[quote=“Creamy Goodness, post:11, topic:6114”][quote=“John Candlebury, post:10, topic:6114”]Start a new character and:

-Dont drink mutagen.
-Dont instal CBMs.
-Dont use medieval weapons (swords, maces, quarterstaves, all that strong melee stuff).
-Turn (un)capped skill rust on.

Suddenly the game is actually challenging![/quote] I like some of your ideas Bionics are definitely Good with no draw backs, however i feel mutations add a nice creamy flavor to the game that brings bad along with the good[/quote]
You still get mutations via radiation.
Just camp out in a hazardous waste storage facility.

when i got bored after defeating “the thing”, becoming a post-threshold insect mutant with lots of CBM’s(if i had some energy weapons, i’d look like a “collector” from mass effect 2), finding a good artifact(a sword that does quite a lot of damage and heals you when used… though the healing will make you vomit), destroying a fungal bloom with a mininuke and doing some other things… i decided to turn on cheating, get a lot of inactive manhacks and rid myself of bad mutations. Then, i decided to take on the strange temple(it was seriously boring and i couldn’t wear a helmet it “rewarded” me), clear some mansions, and finally - go to a slime pit. Even a God-like insect being, with robotic servants soon got swarmed by blobs and died horribly. So try to do what my Collector couldn’t - destroy all the slime pits that you can see on your map xD

[quote=“Zargen, post:25, topic:6114”]Sometimes I ser citysize to max so the entire map is just one giant sprawl and pretend New York or something is ovverrun and youre smack dab in the middle. Hordes on, no static and increased spawn rates. Fun stuff.[/quote]I have a dream that there will some day be a map editor with map size limits so you could make a detailed map of NYC, Texas, The US, or even the world!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I have recently got back into cataclysm but I started a new character with harder world settings, and I got to say, this game is a lot more FUN and challenging to get started in than I remember.

Whats your opinion of hordes guys?? IMO theyre too buggy and always spawn right on top of my evac shelter or right in the city im near and I cant even raid a house, always 10 or 20 zombies near by. Do you guys think the hordes need more work? Or am I just a pansy and need to suck it up.

I turn on zombies hordes, massive constant spawns and no static spawn… And I died to 2 fucking moose during the night, wasn’t even near the forest…

[quote=“Creamy Goodness, post:29, topic:6114”]Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I have recently got back into cataclysm but I started a new character with harder world settings, and I got to say, this game is a lot more FUN and challenging to get started in than I remember.

Whats your opinion of hordes guys?? IMO theyre too buggy and always spawn right on top of my evac shelter or right in the city im near and I cant even raid a house, always 10 or 20 zombies near by. Do you guys think the hordes need more work? Or am I just a pansy and need to suck it up.

I turn on zombies hordes, massive constant spawns and no static spawn… And I died to 2 fucking moose during the night, wasn’t even near the forest…[/quote]

I love hordes, but getting spawned in one sucks. Best to just run, or wait in a basement until they leave (usually about half a day max). I like to fortify a room without windows and burn wondering next to the door to mask my scent once I’m established.

[quote=“acehawk, post:30, topic:6114”][quote=“Creamy Goodness, post:29, topic:6114”]Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I have recently got back into cataclysm but I started a new character with harder world settings, and I got to say, this game is a lot more FUN and challenging to get started in than I remember.

I turn on zombies hordes, massive constant spawns and no static spawn… And I died to 2 fucking moose during the night, wasn’t even near the forest…[/quote]

I love hordes, but getting spawned in one sucks. Best to just run, or wait in a basement until they leave (usually about half a day max). I like to fortify a room without windows and burn wondering next to the door to mask my scent once I’m established.[/quote]

Really they disappear? Cuz from what ive seen they just start out small and get bigger and bigger. maybe il have to try surviving for more than few days

They never vanish entirely, unless you kill off its entire supply of zombies, but they wander around, usually following roads. I don’t think they are restricted to certain areas either, they will eventually leave town down a highway. They are attracted to sounds and I think if any member of the horde can see you it will tend to move to the last location it saw/heard v you at (I am not sure about this, but I think I read it somewhere and my in game experiences seem to back it up)