Only ever installed 0.A and prior, Need Help with new install 0.B(?) win7

I have played this game in the past and for awhile I have been playing on V.0.A and decided to (Finally) get the newest version from http://en.cataclysmdda.com/ and selected the Stable Windows Download.

In the past all I had to do was use winRAR to get the files out and then basically hit play and it would just start up, but this time it showed a little white window for a split second and then closed, I looked up the debug and found this:

15:17:35.975 : Starting log.
15:17:36.62 SDL : src/sdltiles.cpp:317: Failed to select render target: That operation is not supported
15:17:36.62 : initscr failed!
15:17:36.67 : Log shutdown.

So I came to the garage to find an answer, and found out that we now need a bunch of programs to get it to work?
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3.0

Which I have never done before, so I try following the steps and It asks me to get Code::Blocks MinGW package
But I don’t know which one it is?
The link led me to three options:

codeblocks-13.12-setup.exe

codeblocks-13.12mingw-setup.exe

codeblocks-13.12mingw-setup-TDM-GCC-481.exe

Then I noticed that the topic is from 2013, so I am wondering if I am missing some context/If this is still the method or If I am having a different problem than I think I am having/making it more complex than it needs to be?

Basically I am just really confused.

That ‘bunch of programs’ is only needed if you’re trying to compile it from the source.

What it sounds like is that you’ve got a problem with the SDL rendering.

The simplest advice I can give would be to grab the Windows terminal release, which doesn’t use SDL.

As for fixing the issue itself, I’m not sure; I’ve got no real experience with the SDL code.

Thanks it works great! For the future, where can I find this type?

Just make sure you download a version labeled ‘terminal’, ‘console’, or ‘curses’ as opposed to one labeled ‘graphical’, tiles’, or ‘SDL’.

I have exactly the same problem, anyone know how to solve it ? There is somekind issue with SDL maybe some missig libraries ?. Want to play the game for the first time but need sdl version, my eyes hurt after few minutes with ASCII “graphic”. SDL 0.8 and 0.A version of the game that i downloaded from people from the forum works, so there got to be a way. Mayby someone could upload his version on the game for me ?