Of Cars and Men (i.e. variation for driving)

Manual vs. automatic gear/transmission
Basically I’d just like to see gearboxes as a vehicle component. There would be only two kinds - automatic and manual. Manual would result in more difficult handling, i.e. increased rate of stalling for newbie drivers but also 1) increased acceleration, 2) lower chance of losing vehicle control and 3) faster recovery from loss of control, but only in the hands of experienced drivers (for all three points). Thereby automatic would be safer for newbie drivers, but experienced drivers would get more out of manual. Frankly, I might even impose a limit in order to even drive manual - a minimum driving skill of 3. Manual would also make random loud cranking noises in the hands of inexperienced drivers (due to not having learned yet how to operate the clutch properly), potentially luring zombies towards the noise. The gearbox should also sustain slight damage at that time.

Engine stalling as a phenomenon
For newbie drivers, having just recently learned the basics of manual transmission, whenever the speed of the vehicle would change, there should be a small chance for the engine turning off, especially at low speeds. If you’re gonna drive, drive faster, newbie. Of course a damaged engine could just shut off on its own, regardless of the driver.

Driving skill development based on speed changes
I admit that I don’t know how the driving skill develops currently but I would add that the driving skill should increase with every little shift in speed. Combine this with the chance of engine stall, and I believe hilarity would ensue.

Here are some of the log messages that I envision:
“You fumble with the manual transmission. The engine shuts down. You could attempt restarting the engine.”
“Drat! This vehicle has manual transmission. There’s no way you can drive this… yet. Educate yourself, find someone to teach you to drive or find another vehicle.”
“CRREEEK! You mess with the manual tranmission, and operate the clutch inapproriately. A loud noise is emitted.”

(if Mechanics is at least 4, or if Driving is at least 5, the message changes to)
“CRREEEK! You mess with the manual tranmission, and operate the clutch inapproriately. A loud noise is emitted. You also suspect the gearbox has sustained slight damage.”

(and later on, rarely)
“Crik! You fumble with the manual transmission. It didn’t sound serious though. Happens to the best of us.”

Also, occasionally once certain thresholds regarding speed, acceleration, or deceleration are exceeded:
“Your mad skills with manual gear prevent the vehicle from skidding uncontrollably in such high speeds and drastic turns. Maniac.”
“You quickly recover from an unexpected skid. The land beneath you is ice and you’re but an eccentric skater …On wheels and/or cocaine.”
“Your vehicle bolts to near supersonic speeds in a blink of an eye. The difference between a missile and a vehicle has been blurred.”
“Mighty fine breaking, sir or ma’am. You have mastered the art of pulling over.”

You are aware that in Europe if you can’t drive a Manual transmission the next thing you get asked is what’s wrong with you.

While 90% of cars sold in the cars are automatic, in europe it 20% at the most.
Really what’s so hard about driving with a manual transmission?
you put it in first and go.
This is max level driveing skills

I really have nothing to add to this, but I got to point out it’s kinda funny you talk about driving and your name is beerbeer. Just that. I’m sorry, hahaha.

kill me (?

[quote=“Funk, post:2, topic:10221”]Really what’s so hard about driving with a manual transmission?
you put it in first and go.[/quote]

And we are speaking not about drivers, but about those who have no previous experience in driving (0 skill). So it’s probably a bit understandable for an unskilled to be better with automatics.

[sup][sup]I’m not really a driver, how do you use that stick? When do you change gears?[/sup][/sup]

Ahhh, love your video post Funk. Love Group B. But what BeerBeer is saying is a good Idea. Would love to see that. Adds just a little bit more realism that Cataclysm needs. Besides Zombies, Robots with 120mm tank guns, The Cargo Dimension, Mutants, And Demon Moses that want your blood.

[quote=“GreatTuna, post:4, topic:10221”]And we are speaking not about drivers, but about those who have no previous experience in driving (0 skill). So it’s probably a bit understandable for an unskilled to be better with automatics.

[sup][sup]I’m not really a driver, how do you use that stick? When do you change gears?[/sup][/sup][/quote]

I will agree that at low skill manual is harder to drive. But i disagree with preventing someone to drive manuals on low skill (less than 3)
On 0 skill, maybe, if we simulate not knowing the first thing about cars, but i’d rather not.
On 1 skill and upwards, no way. Even with bad skills at changing gears, one knows how to and can try to do it.
IMO there should be reasonable chances to fail to start the car and/or damage the gbox at skill 1, the chance rapidly falling with skill 2, being next to 0 at skill 3, and 0 for skill 4+

Seems a bit of work for the gains though.

Oh, and although i personally had some initial trouble in wielding the clutch gently, i have seen people who have never before driven a car, yet could manage manual transmission just fine at both starting up and shifting.

If you add these changes you should add some basic driving skills to most adult professions and maybe a little bit to the rowdy one.

You are aware that the game takes place in New England, where the vast majority of people most likely do not know how to drive a Manual transmission. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, as of August 2013, only 3.9% of all new cars sold in the USA had a manual transmission, the rest had an automatic one. Extrapolating from that, that means that it’s very likely that 99% of all the cars you are going to find in C:DDA are going to be automatic transmissions, and probably the only times that is ever going to be different is if you find a kited out racing car or find one in a mechanics shop somewhere.

Additional parts would be nice as well.

Brakes would obviously be a good idea, mainly as a way to separate deceleration from acceleration. No brakes means you’re gonna be coasting and/or crashing.

Radiators, while likely too annoying a feature to add, would have one useful element to it: adding a part that, under normal circumstances, requires a given fuel to function but doesn’t CONSUME it unless damaged.

Ok so your only likely to find manual transmissions in a few cars.
Mainly VW beetles and vans, big tucks and Sports cars.

Im for brakes to be separate from the wheels.
But that opens up a can of worms, do we just have disc and drum brakes or do we go in for all the odd ball systems.

If we can make them install on wheels, that can cover basic brakes, with more oddball brake systems maybe occupying different vehicle part niches. Niches are always nifty.

Just a simple X inch sized discs and drums

The simplest way to have different brakes is to give them a size and a heat capacity.
Sizes need only be X inchs and as long as your wheels are bigger then you can any brakes.

Heat is just is the best way to measurer both how hard the brakes are being used and there capacity for use.

Well then there’s :

Engine braking, ever wonder why your meant to stay in gear when brake?
Here’s why when you close the throttle air flow is restricted and the engine has to pump air through this restriction this slows it down and helps you to stop.
Diesel engines don’t have engine braking there’s no throttle.

Inboard brakes, just normal brake that aren’t on the wheel.
Kinetic energy recovery system, more of an up grade that a type of brake, it lets you make some electricity when you brake.

Compression release or “Jake” brake, only for diesel engines and noisy.

Exhaust brake, work by closing off exhaust and forcing the engine to work backwards, only for diesel engines.

This has potential, yes. X3

EDIT: Though I’d suggest that brake status be visible or readily available to the player, or aleast prompt an “oh shit” message of some sort when lowering your speed if you brakes are out.

Engine braking is in, it’s just that currently all engines have it, not just gas and electric ones.

I thought that it was just an abstraction due to the universal cruise control we seem to have.