About driving and roads

I think that driving is way too easy. Any character can just enter a truck with no skill, then drive it everywhere, off-road, through house, through hordes of zombies, without any issues. So my idea was, make roads a bit more difficult to be driven over. Town roads should have speed bumps, and out-of-town roads should have potholes and things so you should drive safer speeds. Thoughts?

Driving a truck is not rocket science, you just have to wait for the air to fill up before you can start it after longer standing.

Dunno what you’re doing to avoid control problems. Driving 0-3 has the character randomly veer all over the place, and there are plenty of stories about players managed to go through buildings when missing a turn.

Before driving level 4 the character is driving with legs, but at level 4 (s)he gives up.

There are also random vehicles, traps and mines.

Yes, between the newly added vehicles that make navigating towns (and zombie slaughter) much more complicated, and traps spawning on roads, it’s already pretty tough.

I’d just like to see vehicles slow down and have a chance of veering when they hit corpses.

Well, I guess it’s a bit too easy for me then. Get your driving skill over four, and than you can do everything with your vehicle. I think with a high skill level there should still be a chance for fumbling with the controls, but it should be a much lower (like 0.1% per tile) chance to fumble with them.

I don’t know about you, but not even when I was learning to drive have I randomly changed lanes.

Yeah, that’s more of a “Dead tired” thing than a “Learning to Drive” thing. I think Driving is fine as-is.

Though they could add crashing, I just hit a car above 120 and my vehicle didn’t even get scratched.

Yeah car collisions and your vehicle taking appropriate damage when it hits things is fairly high up on the bug-fixing list right now.

It’s fine the way it is. It’s not that hard to drive a car, even if you’ve never done it before.

Terrain needs to be a thing. Off-road tires vs. racing slicks vs. regular ol’ everyday tires.

You never drove over a bridge filled with slugs, did you? Not sure if you still say: ‘Driving is too easy’ after that experience, even with 10 skill in driving.

I’m up for having the difficulty a bit more varied.
DC= Difficulty Class
On-Road would be DC 4, of course modified for speed.
If you are doing 100, you still get fumbles. There already seems to be some of this.
Being off-road with on-road tires going at any decent speed should be a pretty nasty penalty.
As we don’t seem to want to get into suspensions and what not, simply going for off road tires as if they had off road suspension works for me.
Rough terrain should definitely make it much harder.
It really seems like some of this is in and just needs to be re-balanced a bit.
Weather should definitely affect your driving DC.
Well that’s my randomly scattered thoughts.

Well, I had an idea about adding power line supports to spawn at the sides of roads, but this may make driving harder.

[quote=“Miloch, post:15, topic:1550”]I’m up for having the difficulty a bit more varied.
DC= Difficulty Class
On-Road would be DC 4, of course modified for speed.
If you are doing 100, you still get fumbles. There already seems to be some of this.
Being off-road with on-road tires going at any decent speed should be a pretty nasty penalty.
As we don’t seem to want to get into suspensions and what not, simply going for off road tires as if they had off road suspension works for me.
Rough terrain should definitely make it much harder.
It really seems like some of this is in and just needs to be re-balanced a bit.
Weather should definitely affect your driving DC.
Well that’s my randomly scattered thoughts.[/quote]
Once I got a bit lost with an Iveco Daily, was looking for an opportunity to turn back I saw an exit, suddenly the road ended and I went on a gravel road at 70 (km/h). If I had kidney stones, I’d have lost them, but I didn’t loose control, roll over and explode. (Good thing the car needed it’s frame checked anyway.)
On highways I do at least 130 and I don’t fumble with the controls. Once I went on a deep puddle at 110, it forced the wheel a little, but nothing unmanageable. Stop pretending driving is difficult.

Driving offroad is whole nother story. Besides, you probably have been driving for a while. The character of this game starts with a zero driving skill. :stuck_out_tongue:

Off-road isn’t that difficult either, unless you want to compete in rally. I’d say parking is harder to learn, than driving. My license is not even 2 years old btw.

I’d say off-road is pretty difficult if you careen into it at a decent speed straight from asphalt. With non-dedicated tires. Rally or not, you’d be in for some trouble.