NPC's what are they like?

I saw that NPC’s go taken out of 0.4 so I was wandering what they were like, or even better what they WILL do when they get put back in.

they’ll be AWESOME. NPC’s would crash your game currently, but when they worked they’d send you on missions or you could get them to tag along with you, helping you fight and stuff.

I’m not sure what the coders have envisioned but you can bet they’ll be worth the wait

They were awesome. But I think they liked to blow my brains out with whatever gun they had as when a monster came into my evan shelter once I wasn’t even near it and the NPC shot ME!

[font=georgia]I agree, awesome. Especially when they handed you active mininukes, OR they have mininukes and they blow up while you’re doing trivial stuff in the shelter. And yeah, they went on a bloodlust whenever something hostile comes near and will kill you as well as anything else. BUT sometimes they are pretty badass, ive seen a NPC take down over 20 zombies at a time, I ended up dying first (due to not having a gun and him having a shotgun)[/font]

There are wandering NPCs and there is always an NPC that spawns in your starting evac shelter. Wandering NPCs have been turned off for a long while now, but it’s only in v0.4 that the shelter ones have been turned off iirc.
As for what they’re like:

“I can’t leave the shelter without equipment.”
“No, Fuck you!”

Ad infinitum, until:
“Okay, here.”
<Urist McMadbomber hands you a Solar Panel/Grenade/Mininuke (active)>

Either that or if you don’t close the curtains they’ll run outside and attempt to slaughter the local wildlife, usually grenades against squirrels, or shotguns and SMGs against wolves, etc. They also generally have a suicidal quest, aka (run into the local pharmacy and get me some crack, man!)
Nearest pharmacy? In the town center. Alternatively, on the outskirts but they don’t have what he needs. Alternatively, a few hundred map tiles away.
Bonus is, if you DO complete his stupid quest you can blag some free training off him.
“Follow me, it’s not safe here.”
<Look outside, hundreds of beartraps, deep spiked pits, a moat, chainlink fences, landmines and turrets.>
“Well it better bloody not be.”

Also don’t ever try the one-tile window trick when there is an NPC anywhere near you. He will shoot you in the back of the head. Probably for being such a douche as to bring zombies back to the shelter and attempting to use him as a stationary gun turret, I don’t know.

[font=georgia]Oh my the wandering ones…telling you to drop your gun and if you dont comply will drop 6 manhacks and get themselves killed in the process[/font]

Drop the weapon (expletive)!
I drop my horribly dangerous paper wrapper
Don’t move!
I hit 5 to not move
My still moving car spreads him over the road like chunky peanut butter

I always wondered what would happen if I threw a moltov at the ones trying to hold me up.

Mugging is a bit bugged. They try to steal your money.

The moving car thing while mugged is funny. Made an issue out of that. ( https://github.com/TheDarklingWolf/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/661 )

They are a source of a free gun at the expense of 1 2*4 and a match.

They are a source of suicide if you don’t put them down.

NPC’s are the most funny (yet easiest) way to die, either they one shot you to the head or making your game crash. They are also the only way to gain new martial arts without using the debug menu.

They also like to curse at you, alot.

Edit : I typed this while I was asleep, I still am asleep.

[quote=“Fengferth, post:11, topic:987”]NPC’s are the most funny (yet easiest) way to die, either they one shot you to the head or making your game crash. They are also the only way to gain new martial arts without using the debug menu.

Edit : I typed this while I was asleep, I still am asleep.[/quote] YOU! I know you! You’re mean :frowning: (Jk :3)

NPCs were buggy cluster f-bombs

NPC:Dude, go kill my zombie mother!
You: Okay, can have some equipment?
NPC: No go fuck yourself.
You: seriously give me some stuff.
NPC: No fuck you.
Repeat until
You: Can I have some equipment.
NPC: Here take this
NPC gives you a mininuke (active)
or
NPC gives something completely useless

then training
You: teach me [skill]
NPC: okay but it’s not safe here (in the evac shelter miles from everything)
if you agree to follow it’s basically he runs into the middle of town and shoots everything back when dynamic spawn was on they tended to just shoot one zombie and cause about 9000 more to spawn and promptly gets raped in a zombie orgy of death.

If you get them to follow you you will eventually get “NPCs head implodes” and he dies for no reason.

when driving: “wait let pick up that [object]” jumps out and then splat.

Weird, I always told the NPCs "It’s alright, let’s train here’ (eg. something similar to that, you get the idea) and it worked just fine. Guess that option wasn’t in the game when you used to play, was it?

I always used that except for the first couple of times where I didn’t know that that what they considered safe was not safe at all.

[quote=“kastor246, post:12, topic:987”][quote=“Fengferth, post:11, topic:987”]NPC’s are the most funny (yet easiest) way to die, either they one shot you to the head or making your game crash. They are also the only way to gain new martial arts without using the debug menu.

Edit : I typed this while I was asleep, I still am asleep.[/quote] YOU! I know you! You’re mean :frowning: (Jk :3)[/quote]

Of course I’m mean!!! Why do you think the NPC’s kill me in the first place? :stuck_out_tongue:

NPCs were great when they would teach you martial arts. I once had one that taught me some obscure things like Tiger Kung Fu and got my unarmed combat skill up to around 12 before disappearing.

Npcs should not give you active items anymore. (this was fixed in 0.3 or 0.4 already). Currently they can still give you an acid bomb (which is broken even, throwing it does nothing, activating it sprays acid all around you). But that will be fixed in the next release.

I’ll also look into streamlining the silly ‘it is not safe here’ messages.