NPC Base Underground Levels?

I have found a few NPC bases (refugee centers) in my latest few games, and I was wondering, is there supposed to be anything underneath them? I have blown open the metal doors and been unable to descend the passageway into the lower levels. (Static NPCs)
I have also tried blasting through the subway into the lower levels, but I did not find anything.

What exactly is the plan for this space? Is anything planned for the lower levels?
Note that I haven’t made it past the third NPC base mission yet, so is the content only possible by completing missions? If so, how many?

If the content just isn’t there yet, when can we expect it to be implemented, and what exactly is meant to go down there?

Some clarification would be appreciated.

Planned but not yet implemented. Acidia’s working on another underground site ATM.

Howdy, I’ll have about three weeks in mid to late April when I could probably look at filling out the underground of the refugee center at some point. What do you imagine you would find there? The floor plan wouldn’t really be a radical departure from the first floor but I could use a few characters NPC-wise to make it worth visiting/earning passage to. Just finding a bunch of bland families living is squalor wouldn’t be worth the work if it meant having to develop a territory or claim system to prevent you from looting the faction’s meager treasure (when only one such area currently exists). If you have ideas to submit and don’t mind the spoilers you can visit http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=7032.msg153748#msg153748 to contribute an NPC.

Nuclear generator (to explain the infallible lighting in the centers)
Weapons/Supplies in a stockpile, a NPC at the counter to trade with (or rob)
Laboratory for working on a cure? filled with scientists and lab equipment? (failed laboratory: filled with zombies)
Tunnels into secret locations not listed on the overmap, such as stockpiles, small camps, cabins
flooded versions of the above
zombie filled versions of the above

[quote=“Straume21, post:4, topic:9219”]Nuclear generator (to explain the infallible lighting in the centers)
Weapons/Supplies in a stockpile, a NPC at the counter to trade with (or rob)
Laboratory for working on a cure? filled with scientists and lab equipment? (failed laboratory: filled with zombies)
Tunnels into secret locations not listed on the overmap, such as stockpiles, small camps, cabins
flooded versions of the above
zombie filled versions of the above[/quote]

The lights are/should be running off the vehicle batteries from the vehicles outside. (Pretty confident that’s not actually implemented yet though.)

Refugee centers have the QM for intake and the merchant for trade; pretty confident that they wouldn’t be selling a lot of weapons. Lab, unlikely but possible. Tunnels/warrens underneath, possible, sure.

A water purification system. Like a well/pool, then purified and put into tanks.

A quarantine area for new arrives, guarded and kept away from others. (Scanned for radiation, etc).

Then there’s probably some work to be done like digging more tunnels for more people if they arrive, and sharing of supplies/food etc.

Maybe a small unfinished mine? Pickaxes and jackhammers, along with construction equipment?

A lot of these really don’t make sense to me. The evac center was presumably built pre-cataclysm likely as an example of what the evac shelters were purported to be (when in fact they were really underfunded and undersupplied), and it would probably only have typical survival shelter type stuff, places like dorms, communal restrooms, cafeterias, food prep and storage, medical supplies, laundry facilities, and basic recreation areas, and maybe a workshop or communications facilities.

Also, digging probably wouldn’t be happening. You wouldn’t risk compromising the integrity by just digging around. I’d imagine the first priority for survivors would be to build a wall around the facility rather than start digging holes underneath.

maybe makeshift hospital? small workshop (soldering iron, sewing kit nothing relay fancy)? survivors can improvise some things
a pre cataclysm kitchen, gym(or other recreation place like pool, probably turned into makeshift hospital or something) generator room, dorms, toilet with small sewage treatment plant there is a lot of things what it can contain if hospital and generator room are implemented make QM accept meds and fuel too

Maybe a library being set up. Like… preserving knowledge of the pre-cataclysm world, that sort of thing, and needing books to help teach survivors how to, well, survive. Bring books, get rewards, that sorta thing.

while library full of skill books is bad a library with some books for fun only (for recreation) and on rare occasions some low level skill books is good

a librarian who can give quests to get new book for him will be nice maybe after completing his quest line he will start to buy/sell books too so player can do something more with them than burning or leaving them alone

I see something like gathering pre-cataclysm knowledge as a really long term thing. If quests could be gated by time in the world, I could definitely see gathering skill books as a thing, but in the context of it now, I don’t see a leader at the shelter being like “hey we need a chemistry textbook so we can synthesize saline solution” or some crap like that. When you encounter them, it would probably be more like “we need 100 units of saline”, “we need to fortify our position”, “we need maps of the surrounding area”, “we need to configure the nearby radio tower to run off this backup generator”, and so on. It’s a short term vs long term thing. Short term should be what they need right now for survival. All those immediate needs should be taken care of by the time long term needs like future training, expansion, looking for a cure, and those sorts of things were goals.

An empty day care center.

It really is a matter of priority at the moment. Expanding the underground for the refugee center has a few benefits but it also draws a rather hard population limit on what you can expect from the inhabitants. I was a bit more interested in setting up an expansion outpost somewhere. Necropolis was my first choice but the hassle of getting to the vault proper is a bit of a turn-off. What I’m looking at now is having a series of missions branch from the refugee center. The lack of room and agricultural potential of the area has a few individuals wishing to expand to a nearby ranch/farm. Unfortunately, trying to reinforce existing sections of towns would be a bit out of grasp but building up a fixed/known site is possible (although tedious). A large amount of resource gathering yields a large number of NPCs. If I can get the last mission for each NPC to loop, I’ll be able to keep expanding the camp without the player having to start from scratch when they want to access the latest expansions. The one thing that might hang it up would be transferring large quantities of resources to NPCs… if they need 30 logs, you’d want some way to transfer the material to them without holding one at a time. Another would be preventing the player from stealing material or building in the camp and having their building overwritten by a predetermined one. As the camp/town gets bigger you’d be able to expand quicker by purchasing resources from dedicated merchants, essentially paying someone else to do the labor for you. Creating a need for currency would result in driving a meaningful reason to search out more profitable/unexplored places to loot. Just thoughts for now, lots of issues that would need to be addressed.

Maybe you could have a way to reactivate the hidden elevator to make the necropolis a viable option? The radiation down in the vault might be an issue though…

[spoiler][quote=“vache, post:12, topic:9219”]I see something like gathering pre-cataclysm knowledge as a really long term thing. If quests could be gated by time in the world, I could definitely see gathering skill books as a thing, but in the context of it now, I don’t see a leader at the shelter being like “hey we need a chemistry textbook so we can synthesize saline solution” or some crap like that.[/quote]
yea i do not like this too but lets say quest sound like that “our electronic installation is broken in some places and our electrician do not remember how to fix some things, can you bring book about electronics?” it sound better and its more short term

also access to lover parts of center should be open after player do some missions for people from above because they start to trust him so some people who give missions for less important (for now) things to player[/spoiler]

[quote=“acidia, post:14, topic:9219”]It really is a matter of priority at the moment. Expanding the underground for the refugee center has a few benefits but it also draws a rather hard population limit on what you can expect from the inhabitants. I was a bit more interested in setting up an expansion outpost somewhere. [spoiler]Necropolis was my first choice but the hassle of getting to the vault proper is a bit of a turn-off. What I’m looking at now is having a series of missions branch from the refugee center. The lack of room and agricultural potential of the area has a few individuals wishing to expand to a nearby ranch/farm. Unfortunately, trying to reinforce existing sections of towns would be a bit out of grasp but building up a fixed/known site is possible (although tedious). A large amount of resource gathering yields a large number of NPCs. If I can get the last mission for each NPC to loop, I’ll be able to keep expanding the camp without the player having to start from scratch when they want to access the latest expansions. The one thing that might hang it up would be transferring large quantities of resources to NPCs… if they need 30 logs, you’d want some way to transfer the material to them without holding one at a time. Another would be preventing the player from stealing material or building in the camp and having their building overwritten by a predetermined one. As the camp/town gets bigger you’d be able to expand quicker by purchasing resources from dedicated merchants, essentially paying someone else to do the labor for you. Creating a need for currency would result in driving a meaningful reason to search out more profitable/unexplored places to loot. Just thoughts for now, lots of issues that would need to be addressed.

Developing center? its good idea but look how npc are dumb for now creating something like that will need lot of work [/spoiler]