Noob on day 3, game is going well except for one problem

…I’ve got a Z-9 trapped in the basement of my base, and it’s only a matter of time before it breaks out and kills me. It’s completely my own fault, of course; I let it chase me back here, ran out the back door and lost it, did some nighttime shopping, and when I came back it seemed to be gone. Apparently it remembered me…damn. It broke down a door and I led it to the basement, where I kited it around until I got a tile ahead and shut the door on it. I doubt the door will hold.

This is my first time making it to day 3. I’m working out of my original evac shelter, about four map tiles east of a medium-sized town. I’ve got about four days’ supply of food and two days of water. It is mid morning.

I’ve been raiding houses every night and had some luck with weapons, but not so much with armor. I just picked up a machete and a tanto. I have some ammo but no guns; there’s a gun store across town I haven’t hit yet. There’s a fair amount of tools and materials I want to take with me, but I think I can carry the important stuff with a duffel bag.

Currently wearing:

• Motorcycle helmet, sunglasses, dust mask, safety glasses, knit scarf
  • Trenchcoat, backpack, duffel bag, tank top
  • Arm warmers, bindle, light gloves
  • Leg warmers, socks, sneakers, cargo pants, briefs

Skills:

[ul][li]Tailoring 3[/li]
[li]Melee 2 (Eskrima)[/li]
[li]Dodging 2[/li]
[li]Piercing weapons 2[/li]
[li]Fabrication 2[/li]
[li]Unarmed combat 1 (99%…)[/li]
[li]Archery 1[/li]
[li]Handguns 1[/li]
[li]Cooking 1[/li][/ul]

The way I see it, I have three options:

[ol][li]1. Let the Z-9 have the base. Put everything that matters in a duffel bag and make a run for the woods to the east. If I’m lucky, I won’t get killed by a moose on the way. I can wait there until night falls, then circle around to a house I’ve already cleared and set up shop in the basement for a while. This seems dangerous, but less so than trying to make a Z-9 into a pet.[/li]
[li]Same plan, but instead of holing up in a basement, try to find a working vehicle and explore the map a bit. Maybe do this and use the basement as a fallback plan.[/li]
[li]Unencumber myself, face down the dog, and in death embrace my failure.[/li][/ol]

Right now I’m thinking go with number 2 and fall back on number 1 if I strike out, but is there any way I can have a chance of taking on this freaking super dog with what I’ve got on hand? Can I somehow pull a Cask of Amontillado on it down there?

Grab welder’s torch and welding goggles or other piece of clothing that help you don’t get blind by welding. Go in night to Gun Store, unweld bars by using welder’s torch (AND WEAR WELDING GOGGLES BEFORE IT). Done? Now grab most nice gun for that you have ammo and run until all zombies in site engaged Gun Store due alarm. Now just kill Z-9 using gun.

If you’re running the experimental, they made dogs a fair bit easier to hit. If you grab a knife spear and dump your most encumbering equipment (backpack, duffel bag, bindle, maybe the motorcycle helmet) and kite it into a bush you should be able to handle it. If you can’t prod it to death, light the bush on fire and see how it likes it, just be mindful of your pain. If it gets over 30-40, start looking at your escape options.

Are Z-9s really that scary? I never really had any problem with them… it’s not like they’re brutes or anything. Since you’ve got Piercing Weapons at 2 you should be fine with anything in that category (like the aforementioned knife spear). Just make sure you’ve got your torso encumbrance below 20-30 first.

get a piece of splintered wood and a lighter.

get a bottle of expendable water.

go to basement. drop wood. light on fire.

open door, kite z9 to fire.

'U’nload water on fire
’s’mash corpse

[quote=“pisskop, post:5, topic:13600”]get a piece of splintered wood and a lighter.

get a bottle of expendable water.

go to basement. drop wood. light on fire.

open door, kite z9 to fire.

'U’nload water on fire
’s’mash corpse[/quote]

Unless it’s changed recently, shelter basements have concrete floors, so you don’t even have to worry about the fire - heck, set the door on fire, then open it and let the z-9 stand there trying to hit you until it dies.