Newb with an armored personnel carrier

ok, I was running down the road when I came across an armored personnel carrier. On top is a mounted M2 BAR, but I can’t figure out how to get up to the gun <_<

It’s automated.

nods, thanks for the swift reply, was hoping to pull it off and pack it with me :confused:

You could. (E)xamine the vehicle and remove the turret. Would need some Mechanics and tools though (wrench and hacksaw, IIRC).

That said, the .50 BMG isn’t terribly accurate and ammo is scarce. I’d opt for something lighter.

You could. (E)xamine the vehicle and remove the turret. Would need some Mechanics and tools though (wrench and hacksaw, IIRC).

That said, the .50 BMG isn’t terribly accurate and ammo is scarce. I’d opt for something lighter.[/quote]

Plus their extremely heavy and large.

Its still well worth marking on the map to come back and rip the armor off/take the ammo to use for something else.

Ammo is actually pretty plentiful, since when you find a vehicle with ammo in the turret it typically has 100+ rounds (and you don’t need many per enemy). However you can’t fire an M2 without something to brace it on, which is a real limiter.
A crafting option to rip an M2 apart and make a bolt-action rifle might be nice. From my limited understanding of guns it shouldn’t be too difficult.
Suggested recipe: Need mechanics 6+, gun repair kit + forge w/swage-and-die set, M2 browning (for the barrel), scrap metal (to build the bolt action out of), 2x4 (to build the stock out of).

Ammo is actually pretty plentiful, since when you find a vehicle with ammo in the turret it typically has 100+ rounds (and you don’t need many per enemy). However you can’t fire an M2 without something to brace it on, which is a real limiter.
A crafting option to rip an M2 apart and make a bolt-action rifle might be nice. From my limited understanding of guns it shouldn’t be too difficult.
Suggested recipe: Need mechanics 6+, gun repair kit + forge w/swage-and-die set, M2 browning (for the barrel), scrap metal (to build the bolt action out of), 2x4 (to build the stock out of).[/quote]

so much this, because I want my Bionic Monster to be a beast :smiley:

It’d take a lot to rebuild the gun to allow a rotating bolt assembly for the action.

Making it into a heavy barreled semi-auto would be easier to do, and the action would absorb some of the recoil. Not enough to make it in anyway comfortable to use, but it’d still soak some of the force.

Whatever you do, do not let fire or explosives anywhere near those fuel tanks on the carrier, or you will discover the magic of comically large explosions.

if tank is empy or near empty explosion is small

You people are buttering the beauty that is the M2 Browning. :expressionless: all this talk of converting it… Bah…

Really converting it to make it slightly more… man portable. And single-man usable

If it gets you to stick around, I’m all for it. (Though the M2 should be a bit tighter. Most of its burst tends to go off-target.)

If it gets you to stick around, I’m all for it. (Though the M2 should be a bit tighter. Most of its burst tends to go off-target.)[/quote]

As far as the burst is concerned it’s just because the burst is so huge, there’s nothing that can be done for the insane recoil. (If I remember right the burst size is 25)

As far as sticking around, maybe, maybe not. Work takes a lot out of me and I really don’t have the will or self worth when I get home to do much of anything.

If it gets you to stick around, I’m all for it. (Though the M2 should be a bit tighter. Most of its burst tends to go off-target.)[/quote]

As far as the burst is concerned it’s just because the burst is so huge, there’s nothing that can be done for the insane recoil. (If I remember right the burst size is 25)

As far as sticking around, maybe, maybe not. Work takes a lot out of me and I really don’t have the will or self worth when I get home to do much of anything.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve had weeks when I can’t imagine my work’s useful or appreciated, and I can’t come up with a reason to like me. Not sure if that’s the same thing, but it’s no fun.

Be that as it may, I appreciate your dropping by. Thanks, Ekarus. So far as I am concerned, the forum is a better place because you posted.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:15, topic:6564”]As far as the burst is concerned it’s just because the burst is so huge, there’s nothing that can be done for the insane recoil. (If I remember right the burst size is 25)

As far as sticking around, maybe, maybe not. Work takes a lot out of me and I really don’t have the will or self worth when I get home to do much of anything.[/quote]

Well, a solid mounting should take care of the recoil. The M2 is in-and-of-itself a pretty accurate weapon (I believe one madman in the vietnam war used one for sniping).

[quote=“The Lone Badger, post:17, topic:6564”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:15, topic:6564”]As far as the burst is concerned it’s just because the burst is so huge, there’s nothing that can be done for the insane recoil. (If I remember right the burst size is 25)

Well, a solid mounting should take care of the recoil. The M2 is in-and-of-itself a pretty accurate weapon (I believe one madman in the vietnam war used one for sniping).[/quote]

Single shot only, even with a solid mounting the M2 will lose accuracy if it’s firing multiple shots. The only way you’d be able to brace an M2 so it has no recoil is to literally fix it facing in one direction, with no axis of movement at all.

[quote=“The Lone Badger, post:17, topic:6564”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:15, topic:6564”]As far as the burst is concerned it’s just because the burst is so huge, there’s nothing that can be done for the insane recoil. (If I remember right the burst size is 25)

Well, a solid mounting should take care of the recoil. The M2 is in-and-of-itself a pretty accurate weapon (I believe one madman in the vietnam war used one for sniping).[/quote]

Carlos Hathcock, I believe? And he’s apparently just the best-known.