It's me, or mounted MG are still unusable?

I was trying to build a mounted MG as a base defense system. My idea was to build a two square immobile vehicle with a mounted M60, controls, an engine and storage. I cannot get the MG to work, the ammo just falls out when I try to reload and the controls keep telling me that the MG neeeds wheel (???). Has somebody figured it out?

They are pretty ass. Most non-explodey mounted weapons just dont do it for me. Ill only use them if I happen across the ammo and dont decon them.

Ive had some minor success with twin water cannons though. Single shots of water from each will usually stun a small crowd up. Too bad the Turret ai wont change its target when its current target is stunned.

Grenade launchers do all right by me.
And flamers too.

LMG’s like the M60 and M249 are weak but HMG like M2 Browning is much stronger. They are easy to find if you run the Tanks mod. And if you have the Vehicle Additions mod there’s a bunch of other stuff you need to set up like turrent frames and such to make it automated.

I have an RM298 HMG on my current character but it is at [glow=red,2,300]…[/glow] and I have no ammo for it… yet. Probably a beast though.

As for getting the ammo to load, put a military seat on the same tile.That works for a normal vehicle turret, should be the same for a base defense system I guess.

Odd, I lowered the engagement range for automated HMG variants, so that the range malus is more or less minimal. Are you using the newer version of the VAP?

As for the non-loading issue, vehicle turrets can’t accept magazines. Furthermore, if you’re using one of the newer versions of the VAP, make sure you’re using a gun turret instead of an automated gun. You can simply drop ammunition on turrets, automated guns require a loaded ammunition rack installed somewhere on the vehicle.

I don’t know why you need a two-tile vehicle though. A gun, controls, and frame should be all you need; maybe a remote control system and a truck horn to attract zombies too.