New monster suggestions

not just grue. other things killable with light would be cool. a special zed type, some nether creatures. hey, mabye add a effect for teleporting or using artifacts that makes the Black Dog Stalk you.

Also, stalker enemies that follow you in the dark and if you stay in the same place too much they try to kill you, yet if you try to attack them they run more or leas like the dogs. Night Terrors/Stalkers sound awesome. Wanna draw those.

then draw. Also, that to is a good idea for some night baddies. Cowards, but aggressive.

Sorry for double post, but what about, when npcs get fixed fully, we get a monster that pretends to be a npc until provoked/attacked/gets hungry,at which point it goes all tentacley and stuff and fucks you up.

I really like this idea, the Mi-Gos kinda do that with their mimicry but you only fall for it once.

Also, I’d be OK with generic non-NPCs that work more like human enemies. Kinda like the failed cyborgs, but deranged survivors, dirty mutant pariah lepers, hostile soldiers and bandits and other folks that just can’t be interacted with through dialogue trees, they just shout warnings and/or open fire. Just to sort of make the world seem a little less empty, but without cluttering the map with purple @s everywhere or have a Fall-out type paradigm where every survivor is a unique and special snowflake that wants you to fetch them items or slay x number of boars in the forest. Realistically, you’d have little pockets of xenophobic survivalists, soldiers, bandits and doomsday cultists that don’t want your help and assume you’re up to no good.

I guess we might already have too many reasons to shoot NPCs on sight as it is, it stands to reason other human survivors would have the same shoot-on-sight policy toward people outside of their group, even if they are not explicitly out to harm you.

[quote=“Burnt Earth, post:65, topic:8812”]Also, I’d be OK with generic non-NPCs that work more like human enemies. Kinda like the failed cyborgs, but deranged survivors, dirty mutant pariah lepers, hostile soldiers and bandits and other folks that just can’t be interacted with through dialogue trees, they just shout warnings and/or open fire. Just to sort of make the world seem a little less empty, but without cluttering the map with purple @s everywhere or have a Fall-out type paradigm where every survivor is a unique and special snowflake that wants you to fetch them items or slay x number of boars in the forest. Realistically, you’d have little pockets of xenophobic survivalists, soldiers, bandits and doomsday cultists that don’t want your help and assume you’re up to no good.

I guess we might already have too many reasons to shoot NPCs on sight as it is, it stands to reason other human survivors would have the same shoot-on-sight policy toward people outside of their group, even if they are not explicitly out to harm you.[/quote]
There are bandit cabins/camps populated by static NPCs (if enabled) now, but I’m not sure how well they work, and they’re really rare to find because they spawn in the forest and are not shown on the map.

If you want creatures who “hate” light, it is doable with current monster nighvision system:
By setting very low day vision range (possibly even negative) and high night vision range, the creature will be blinded by light - even light from a flashlight.
It will not seek cover or flee, but it will have to rely on other senses until it gets out of light range.

Nightwings- Giant mutated vampire bats that come out and hunt at night to suck your blood.

DF-Adventurers will hate me for this:
Bogeymen.

On a serious note: I think the night loving mobs to die in the light is too Critical. Yes they’re hard when you have no light but starting a small fire would already help, wouldn’t it? Also flashlights aren’t that hard to come by (just ask Flashligh hoarder). I think stunning or scaring them away would be enough.

“Scrawny zombie” - just a very weak zombie, slightly faster for the lighter frame. Has a tendency to stumble over itself if in any rough terrain.

“Strange Colors” - A lovecraftian creature; obvious interaction in combat is not permitted, instead it is invisible but its effects can be felt through increasing paranoia, sickly plantlife, and strange dreams. Slowly reproduces and spreads with frequent die offs(not really successful in our plane of reality).

Visible through science or lovecraftian magic; then it can be seen as a simple floating color that can be cut down like any other plant. Fire also interacts with it, so the player could try to burn everything down instead…

[quote=“Arkenstone, post:70, topic:8812”]“Scrawny zombie” - just a very weak zombie, slightly faster for the lighter frame. Has a tendency to stumble over itself if in any rough terrain.

“Strange Colors” - A lovecraftian creature; obvious interaction in combat is not permitted, instead it is invisible but its effects can be felt through increasing paranoia, sickly plantlife, and strange dreams. Slowly reproduces and spreads with frequent die offs(not really successful in our plane of reality).

Visible through science or lovecraftian magic; then it can be seen as a simple floating color that can be cut down like any other plant. Fire also interacts with it, so the player could try to burn everything down instead…[/quote]

Arent they called the Colors Out of Space?

grues are out, the only way I’d add them is if they were unkillable and always killed you if you spent too much time in the dark, but that doesn’t fit DDA.

Boogeymen, vampires, don’t fit.

Photophobes could get a flag that decreases their morale when in light, making them run away from things in general if exposed to it, but not away from the light. Making them run from light would be more involved.

“monster” people that are coded as monsters and just attack have been suggested and would be accepted.

I’d very much like a stalker type monster that follows you around, but doesn’t attack unless you’re weakened somehow or it has strength of numbers.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:72, topic:8812”]grues are out
-Kevin being mean[/quote]

Anyways, the stalker monster would be perfect. I think it’s more or less code-able now if you take away the “Night” part, though it’s its special thing. Maybe doing it now and then adding the night part? Just to try. Is there a way to make the creature call others of it’s kind when it sees you, and if they are more or less 5 or 6 attack you?

I would like mutated humans that have gone feral, most common in science labs.

Can the monsters see your health the same way you can see theirs? Stalker-type monsters could have one score for how strong they are and another score for how strong you are, and switch between “attack” and “retreat” modes when they gain sufficient advantage or lose too much strength, respectively. Something like:

[ul][li]Switch to “attack” when Strength[sub]stalkers[/sub] > 1.5 Strength[sub]player[/sub][/li]
[li]Switch to “retreat” when Strength[sub]stalkers[/sub] < 1.2 Strength[sub]player[/sub][/li][/ul]

…might work nicely.

Indeed they are.

Do you specifically mean monsterous or just hostile in general?

[b]
From the north, you hear a man yell, “Do you want pizza with that?!!”
A crazed survivor tosses a glass bottle!
You hear glass breaking!
The gas pump explodes! x 4
The city explodes!
From the north, you hear a man state,“Fire…fire is the answer.”
A crazed survivor dies.

Enter your last words?[/b]

Indeed they are.

Do you specifically mean monsterous or just hostile in general?

[b]
From the north, you hear a man yell, “Do you want pizza with that?!!”
A crazed survivor tosses a glass bottle!
You hear glass breaking!
The gas pump explodes! x 4
The city explodes!
From the north, you hear a man state,“Fire…fire is the answer.”
A crazed survivor dies.

Enter your last words?[/b][/quote]
Congratulations! A crazed survivor is you!

[quote=“vache, post:5, topic:8812”]Also, I’d like to see more inter-dimensional monsters, especially multiples from the same dimension and more story on how their ecosystem works, like the triffids and fungals. More flavor-creatures too, like cold-adapted creatures in ice labs.[/quote]I absolutely agree! I would love to see more inter-dimensional monsters unaligned to any major faction and advancing into our plane.

As for my suggestions:

Bonechewer: A largish alligator/dog like scavenger. Relatively non-aggressive, it appears to be made out of nothing but bone kind of like a skellie, but if you crack one open, you will find some meaty ( marrowy? ) goodness. Attracted to any loose bones lying around they will seek them out and try to eat them. Very useful for cleaning up any leftovers when you are done butchering. And if you happen to be wearing bone armour, well…

Hellcupine: A herbivorous and near totally peaceful porcupine like creature ( hence its name ), it has evolved a nasty defensive system to dissuade any wood be predators. It’s spines a far larger, harder and sharper than anything from Earth and inject a lethal toxin for extra measure. Attacking in melee is most definitely not a good idea. However, if you kill one, you can butcher its corpse for some of its (still venomous) spines.

Iron Beetle: Herbivore or omnivore about the size of a large cat or maybe a bit bigger. Fairly peaceful and common, especially as the seasons progress. It may seem fairly weak at first, but its metal like shell is near impervious to small arms fire (excluding AP ammo and similar). Tying to take one out at range is either wasting time, ammo or both, but it can be fairly easily dealt with at melee distance by jamming a blade or spear in-between gaps in its armour. Blunt attacks are still near useless though. Valuable not only for its meat, nut also for its durable shell.

Blaster Beetle: Based off of the real world bombardier beetle, it is less heavily defended than the iron beetle, but can instead blast nearby enemies with a powerful spray of boiling acid.

Marksman Beetle: Blaster Beetle variant focused on range combat. Focusses its entire blast down a long “cannon” like projection running the length of its body. Embedded in that blast is an organic harpoon or something similarly nasty.

Bug_O_War: Either the Beetle Queen or merely a variant that evolved a symbiotic relationship with the “lesser” Iron Beetles. A HUGE variant on the Blaster Beetle, it is incredibly resilient to ranged attacks, even more so than the Iron Beetles through shear size and thickness of armour ( Anti-tank weapons still leave it a complete mess after a round or two though). Like the Iron Beetle, it is far more vulnerable up close, however, not only do you have to contend with boiling acid spray, but embedded in those blasts are Iron Beetles being shot out with enough force to smash straight through a wall. This “organic cannon”, although powerful, looses force and accuracy rapidly as the distance to the target increases. This combined with its limited “ammo” supply may tempt you to try and stay at distance, letting it expend all its force before rushing up and killing it, however, they are incredibly noisy and may attract some unwanted attention, so you may decide that rushing headlong into the danger zone is the better option.

That’s all for now, but I might have some more ideas to share later.

Good, but you forgot one thing. Blunt weapons would be quite good against armor beetles, as guess how knights fought other knights? By basicly bludgeoning one another until one dropped.

They did that but more popular where piercing wepons like the streithammer(i have no idea whats the english name would be *its kind of a huge hammer) to deliver a deadly attack piercing through plate armour while also enabling them to pull down the enemy once the weapon is stuck in them.