New health system (idea)

You stole my idea for a revise the health system thread! Though I agree the health system needs revision. This just shows that the idea is out there, and ought to be implemented. Go to my thread to discuss it.

stole
No:) I don't read this forum. I take it from ascii sector and df.

[quote=“Reaper, post:22, topic:3125”]

stole

No:) I don’t read this forum. I take it from ascii sector and df.[/quote]

Ohhh, i loved ascii sector, but it is the same, the only thing it has different is that you can select and see what you are attacking.

Devs, wtf is

int side
parameter in player::hit. I think it can be only 0 -left or 1-rigth, but i see:
(side == 0 || side == 3)
What mean "side" ?

A quick search suggests that side == 3 is dead code, I’m not seeing anything that uses it. If I had to guess I’d say it was intended to be “both” or something.

More importantly, I need to know what benefits your proposed system has to even consider it, as far as I can see it just raises the level of detail tracking with no benefit to the game. In some contexts I can see such a system being applied to enemies being a good idea, but applying it to players just makes monster attacks more cumbersome for no benefit, you have some code on the monster attack side that decides what gets hit, and you can determine the description and effects of the attack there.

I like this idea, but it would need to be a mod. Its too complex for new people and many people won’t want to go to this level of complexity. Plus its going to need alot of revision once its in the game to work out the mechanics. Possible to add as an option (with off by default).

i do really like this, but I think alot of people won’t. Adding it by default will make the game too hard to get into for new people.

that being said, its a great idea to keep people interested for a long time.

To me this looks like a huge pile of work for no real benefit to the players.

I don’t like to just shoot down ideas, but this seems like a case where it’s all effort for zero gain. It would likely require a complete rewrite of the entire armor coverage system as well as scrapping the (incredibly cool) new wound tracking system that’s just recently been implemented.

What this would change about the game doesn’t sound like it would be much fun, just extra micromanagement stuff and a health display that would be a pain in the butt to read.

Advantages and disadvantages of the system:
-more micromanangment - more complexity and detal. (Somebody may dislike it)
+more realistic:

• different body part has different damage resist. Player can’t broke arm if he gain 5 damage 20 items, but can get massive skin damage -> get infection and lost lot of time to healing.
  • for serious wound needed serious medical attention. You can’t get few gunshot wound, use 20 bandages or go sleep and be happy. Skin regenerate fast, but internal organs slow.
  • more healing ways: clean wounds with water, disinfection with alcohol, sew torn wounds, use bandages to prevent infection in future, iodine to faster regenerate etc.
    +More opportunities.
    *Can cut off gangrene hand/foot and do other surgery (remove some mutations (like small tail) and bionic)
    *Can install bionic hands/foots instead of lost parts.
    *Can do pirate hook insead of lost arm:)
    *Can regenetale lost bodypart like a lizard.
    +Cell system is very detaled and has many ways to expansion.
    *For example way to regen lost bodypart: we mark cell as lost, if regen - lost unmark and we first add 1 hp to bone, then add hp to layers up. (muscule,fat,skin…)
    *cut some bodyparts some ways is more painful that other. It very easy to add in this model: just need add “pain” field to “bodycell”, calc pain when hit, and out this.
    +More easy to get body status. (str/dex/pain/other)
    *we can assign specific function to cell. (% meele str/dex for hand muscles, % speed for leg muscles and lungs, for example) It give same code to get status of any body in game -> easy to add new anatomical features for player/monster.

Ect what the imagination will suffice.

A lot of those things can be done without a cumbersome cell-based model of the player.

Amputation and surgeries like that. If the player is most likely going to spend most of his time running around with his arm attached, it’s less cumbersome to just leave it be, and only make a note of it when he’s missing one. If you want the medical system to have amputations and stuff like that you create an effect “missing right/left arm” and apply it to a player when something happens that would cause him to lose it.

It’s like, when I ask you to describe what your friends look like, do you stop and tell me “Well Bill has two arms, two legs, both eyes…” or do you focus on just what makes him stand out from others “Bill has black hair, green eyes, and antlers.”

It would be cool to play with, on the one hand, but the resource cost and potential for extreme bugs and integrating that system is nightmarish.

Nothing great was made whithout great risks! I would completely vote for his system. Realistic and gives more possibilities to the game. It does not need to be hard to understand, i mean, with a good GUI, everyone could get it. I vote YES.

Nothing on that list falls out of the “simple” cell-based system you described.
It all either requires a MUCH more complicated system where every cell has its own list of properties to differentiate it from the others, or doesn’t require the cell system at all.

I’m not interested in having thousands of lines of properties definining how all the individual cells interact. Also something you mention sticks out, what if they do have a tail, antlers, tentalcles, or wings, now we have to define all THOSE cells as well just in case the player has those mutations?

Big no, this sounds worse the more I hear about it.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:31, topic:3125”]Nothing on that list falls out of the “simple” cell-based system you described.
It all either requires a MUCH more complicated system where every cell has its own list of properties to differentiate it from the others, or doesn’t require the cell system at all.

I’m not interested in having thousands of lines of properties definining how all the individual cells interact. Also something you mention sticks out, what if they do have a tail, antlers, tentalcles, or wings, now we have to define all THOSE cells as well just in case the player has those mutations?

Big no, this sounds worse the more I hear about it.[/quote]

Are you replying to my post? Because I was trying to say that this was a bad idea as well.

Players ask "Why not?"
Coders say “You know nothing, John Snow”

An0n3: nah, replying to the post before yours. I was going to quote it, but then I’d have made a point-by-point response, and I don’t have time for that right now :wink:

Big no
In this case i want to see code that will provide backward compatibility with my mods. (plugin system maybe..) I don't want write code if in next release i get the full incompatibility.

While I disagree with the horrifically complicated cell system, I would like to see the suggested benefits; i.e. amputations and regeneration. It would be convenient to be able to make a wet rag tourniquet and lop off my gangrenous zombie-dog-bitten leg with a machete.

Best use of convenient ever. It would be convenient to chop my leg off with a machete.

In all seriousness, I’d love to have that option when things are desperate, and from watching what’s been happening in the PRs, I have a feeling that the new location-based status system is going to make it possible in the not-too-distant future.