New books

I’m not sure how to make a mod that adds these without modifying the original files which I’m pretty sure would break compatibility pretty fast. I don’t C++ very well so I probably screwed something up. If anyone else wants to add some books here’s the format they’re in.BOOK("{NAME}",{RARITY},{PRICE},{COLOR},PAPER,MNULL,{VOLUME},{WEIGHT},{DAMAGE},{TO HIT BONUS},{SKILL LEARNED},{MAX SKILL LEVEL},{MIN SKILL LEVEL},{FUN GAINED},{INT REQUIRED},{TIME TAKEN TO READ},"\{BOOK DESCRIPTION}");

//itypedef.cpp line 3189
BOOK(“Starting A Fire With Two Sticks”,20,200,c_green,PAPER,MNULL,3,1,-3,0,sk_survival,3,0,0,4,18,"\A guide detailing the basics of woodsmanship and outdoor survival.");

BOOK(“Welding Without Burning Your Face Off”,12,495,c_blue,PAPER,MNULL,6,3,4,1,sk_mechanics,6,3,-1,6,30,"\A welding textbook covering basic safety and subjects such as “Grinding off rust” and “Making cursive E’s”.");

//itype.h line 164
itm_manual_survival,itm_textbook_mechanics

//mapitemsdef.cpp
add itm_manual_survival to
mi_bedroom,mi_camping,mi_allsporting,mi_manuals,mi_mil_surplus,mi_shelter,

add itm_textbook_mechanics to
mi_mischw,mi_textbooks,

Pretty nifty, added these in to the main branch. (Made the names a bit shorter)

I’m wondering if we should have a mechanics skill book that goes to 13 or 14? 13 skill is the minimum for installing 2 engines and 14 allows for 2 6L engines and I’m not sure how easy they should be to install.

[quote=“Leonon, post:3, topic:61”]I’m wondering if we should have a mechanics skill book that goes to 13 or 14? 13 skill is the minimum for installing 2 engines and 14 allows for 2 6L engines and I’m not sure how easy they should be to install.[/quote]Nope. So they want two 6L engines? Well, work for it.

Installing two arbitrary engines in a vehicle and actually getting any kind of power output from both of them is EXTREMELY difficult, and furthermore, I doubt there would be any commonly-distributed books that cover how to do so, so you’d have to accumulate enough general knowledge to work out all the problems yourself. Ideally if you could acquire two matched engines* it would be much easier, but that’s precisely the kind of thing that is difficult to model in the game.

*By matched I don’t mean two 2L engines, I mean same make, model, year, etc.

I don’t think you would be able to get two engines that closely aligned to each other so that they output the same rpms all the time.

But this is a roguelike fun Finding new ways to die>realism