Mystery Dungeons for cataclysm

Something I’m reminded of reading through this thread is Wormholes from EVE: Online. Rather than closing the entrance and you being stuck/killed it might close on the “real world” side and reopen elsewhere. You could still get warnings about the impending closure, just without a permanent setback to your character. You will still be able to get out, but might never see your “home” again.

–Hmm, interesting idea. I like that quite a lot. And of course, inventory room and carry weight are important to think about when going into a portal; you can’t bring everything. Your idea would make it so the player could lose their entire death-mobile rather than simply dying from the world imploding, which I think would be a much better idea. It provides a good drive for the player.
–Your comment suddenly gave me an idea for a new scenario (If we go along with my idea of the portals ‘absorbing’ matter). It’s more-or-less the prison or lab start, but instead the player spawns inside a mystery dungeon.

How about Master of Magic portals?

You kinda need to provide an explanation of them for people to be able to comment on the idea.

Portals go to another plain or MD(Multi Dimension). You can send troops through and back via a portal. Not unlike the look of our fair game we have. I suppose I mean it more of the similarities to Cat with tiles and just a visual reference to how it could look and feel.

Adding in my Levels of MD collapse if that aspect is added to the MDs. Plenty of reference though showing in game play on youtube.