My first venture into late game... (possible spoilers ahead)

I’ve been playing Cataclysm DDA for some time now, though not very well.
Most of the time I get killed by being stupid or something else that was stupid. I’ve never actually gotten any skill above 5 for goodness sake. I don’t save my characters so if I die then I’m dead, if there is an update that doesn’t allow use of old saves I start over.

With this in mind, I have finally found something of semblance of mid/late game
((Spoilers ahead, and some language because wtf dude…))

Before this I was still clearing out the original town (My towns are size 6 I think) and only had about 5 points in melee, dodge, and bashing weapons so I wasn’t the strongest character. I hadn’t found enough ammo to make firearms useful - the little I did find I had used to clear out an area with a garage, gun shop, and an apartment complex.

I had just left the house on the top of the picture, (fuck doors), when I come across this.

[spoiler]

What in the fuck is that? I saw a blank body about an hour before this, but I just kind of walked past it. (It was night so I just flipped off my flashlight and went the other direction)

Is this what is causing the Cataclysm in the first place, because holy crap… A tear in reality? What the fuck?!?

Then there is the marloss bushes that are right next to it. I’ve heard around every once and a while about the marloss berry and now that I’ve found one I can’t decide what to do.
On the one hand I want to see what happens if I eat one. On the other hand I don’t want my first ever character to get this far to die because of a piece of fruit.

Not sure what to discuss really. I guess I would like to know whether or not to eat a berry if I want to continue playing this character. No specifics, just kind of yes or no.
[/spoiler]

Also… I wonder what kind of clowns are in this game.

I’m fairly certain that none of the Marloss berry effects include instant death, and that most of them are at the very least positive to neutral. Might as well do it.

Marloss berry gives +100 happiness and mutations.

They are basically the best thing ever. I wish I was trolling you here but I’m not.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:3, topic:4985”]Marloss berry gives +100 happiness and mutations.

They are basically the best thing ever. I wish I was trolling you here but I’m not.[/quote]

For once he isn’t.

Eat them far away from your shelter.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:4, topic:4985”][quote=“gtaguy, post:3, topic:4985”]Marloss berry gives +100 happiness and mutations.

They are basically the best thing ever. I wish I was trolling you here but I’m not.[/quote]

For once he isn’t.

Eat them far away from your shelter.

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Guide:_Marloss_Berry read this if you want to be spoiled (not sure if it has changed btw)

So I picked two berries and ate them a distance away from my base.

The first one I threw up, the second it said I felt “cleansed”. I guessing if I had mutated at all it would have rid my system of them.
Onward with testing!

Oh aye, the late game holds far more promise than yet another mere ‘zombie apocalypse’ once you dive in deep. (my signature possibly being related in this case.)

For more information I suggest you start raiding laboratories (I was sadly spoiled to these revelations, but think it’s important stuff to know when considering improvements and additions to the game itself.)