Multiple Players - Local Server

As i wondered around my world i though it would be cool to have multiplayer so if you and 1 or 2 mates can hang out and shoot zombie together although it would be very hard to make this possable. but is just a few peole are on, 1-5 max it might work.

Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly

HIGH FIVE!!!

A turn based multi-player roguelike?
How exactly do you imagine this would work?

A real-time aspect where you need to be extremely conscientious about time spent making decisions? What about being in menus? How would crafting work? What about sleeping?

If you wanted it to remain turn based how long would each player have to make a decision? What if someone needed to have a bathroom break or something came up that required them to be AFK for an extended period of time?
It may be technically possible I suppose if you just hand-wave time passing in regards to crafting, sleeping, etc., but it would take extremely long periods of time to get anything done. It certainly wouldn’t resemble the original game in most aspects.

I’m just curious as to whether you’ve put much thought into this idea or not, as the idea of a multi-player roguelike has been discussed and shot down many times before.
If you have any amazing breakthroughs in mind, please share them. A functional multi-player roguelike would be amazing, if extremely impractical.

Keep in mind that I’m not a coder, but to my eye there are far too many problems with this to make it a reality.

Pallbearington is right, mixing real-time and turn-based is really difficult. We (the devs) would love to do this, but it’s not all that feasable, the whole turn structure would have to be overhauled for one.

One thing you CAN do though is have multiple games run on the same world, where your effects on the map are persistent. So if you burn down half of a town and later someone else comes by, they will see the charred wasteland that used to be a town, and perhaps wonder what happened. I believe someone is running a ssh server that you can log on to and play on such a shared world, but I don’t have a URL handy.

i was thinking more of just a local with only 1 or 2 people and you could work together to complete tasks. i knew it to be a long shot but if you could do this with only a few people i think it could work. say 1 person wants to construct something everyone in the world (ie 1-2 people) would have to all do it at the same time. if you wanted to “wait” everyone would have ect

of course a massive server like Minecraft would be impossable but between only a few people i would think it could be done?

[quote=“ArcticHuntsman, post:5, topic:255”]i was thinking more of just a local with only 1 or 2 people and you could work together to complete tasks. i knew it to be a long shot but if you could do this with only a few people i think it could work. say 1 person wants to construct something everyone in the world (ie 1-2 people) would have to all do it at the same time. if you wanted to “wait” everyone would have ect

of course a massive server like Minecraft would be impossable but between only a few people i would think it could be done?[/quote]

If you want it that badly I suggest that you learn how code and make your idea into a reality. I’m not trying to be rude here, but it’s not going to happen any time soon (if at all). Even if the devs did start working on this today it wouldn’t be done for a very long time.

Once again though, this is from the perspective of someone that can’t code. A lot of it is common sense though, really.
What you’re asking for is a lot, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but you’ve had your answer. It might be time to move on to other ideas.

[quote=“Pallbearington, post:6, topic:255”]If you want it that badly I suggest that you learn how code and make your idea into a reality. I’m not trying to be rude here, but it’s not going to happen any time soon (if at all). Even if the devs did start working on this today it wouldn’t be done for a very long time.

Once again though, this is from the perspective of someone that can’t code. A lot of it is common sense though, really.
What you’re asking for is a lot, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but you’ve had your answer. It might be time to move on to other ideas.[/quote]

It’s a yes and no in my experience. It’s very possible to do some RL’s/turnbased games (especially simple ones) in semi-realtime by just moving on the ticker everytime someone makes any move (with limited movement speed so you can’t just hold left down and zoom around). Combat becomes a bit of a difficulty, but can be overcome a bit with some hacks (or a ‘combat phase’ type thing). I did once do something similar with a very basic dungeon crawler (a very, very long time ago) and it worked out o.k for two people who were playing locally.

However, cataclysm DDA as it is would seem very difficult to convert and I imagine that it’d just be completely unplayable without a ton of work which is unlikely to happen currently. I’m sure that it might be possible to strip it down a lot and make something more 2-playable, or (as mentioned) do a shared world in some way. I do envision/hope for a time when Cataclysm will become much more stable/fully featured and then more of these projects can come into reality.

[…][/quote]

Interesting, thanks for the clarification. It’s nice to know that in the future there may indeed be hope for a Shaun of the Dead style playthrough with a mate and a six pack.

there used to be something like this, a massively singleplayer server if you will, someone should set it back up

The dude who hosted it changed it over to DDA a while back.

A bit off topic, But is there a thread or some info on that?
Is it being maintained/updated?

you could have it so that each person picks a move and they advance as one…
sleeping might be annoying…