Multi-core support?

Higher resolution = smaller features (tiles) = more tiles onscreen = more drawing operations.

Higher resolution = smaller features (tiles) = more tiles onscreen = more drawing operations.
It makes sense only with tiles, not ASCII-mode (definitely shouldn't affect performance that much). Well, unless so-called ASCII-mode is actually tile-mode with tiles showing ASCII symbols, but it would make no sense whatsoever.

Rendering characters takes less work, but there’s still per-character work that happens based on how large the area is. The effect is much more pronounced with tiles, but it’s still there with characters.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:22, topic:10064”]

It makes sense only with tiles, not ASCII-mode (definitely shouldn’t affect performance that much). Well, unless so-called ASCII-mode is actually tile-mode with tiles showing ASCII symbols, but it would make no sense whatsoever.[/quote]If you’re on Windows, then yes, ascii mode basically functions like tiles. I’m in the process of tearing that out and replacing it.

If you're on Windows, then yes, ascii mode basically functions like tiles. I'm in the process of tearing that out and replacing it.
Most roguelikes I know don't have such problems with drawing the same amount of tiles in ASCII mode. I checked redrawing function in the code and found that there's one thing that definitely may take a lot of time if called a lot - veh_at_interval. I checked veh_at_interval and there's a comment "This function is called A LOT. Make sure to have as few stuff as possible". I am not even asking such functions as get_trap, get_furn_t and stuff like that. Most of these function are supposedly cached, but I am really not sure how get_cache_ref works. I couldn't even find the definition of get_cache_ref, where is that function? It certainly is not in the source code.

Headers are source code too.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:25, topic:10064”]

If you’re on Windows, then yes, ascii mode basically functions like tiles. I’m in the process of tearing that out and replacing it.

Most roguelikes I know don’t have such problems with drawing the same amount of tiles in ASCII mode. I checked redrawing function in the code and found that there’s one thing that definitely may take a lot of time if called a lot - veh_at_interval. I checked veh_at_interval and there’s a comment “This function is called A LOT. Make sure to have as few stuff as possible”. I am not even asking such functions as get_trap, get_furn_t and stuff like that. Most of these function are supposedly cached, but I am really not sure how get_cache_ref works. I couldn’t even find the definition of get_cache_ref, where is that function? It certainly is not in the source code.[/quote]

Unfortunately, this is this roguelike, not most roguelikes.