More traps

[quote=“TacticalPteridactyl, post:19, topic:11255”]How about spear traps? Spinning disks? Spiked balls? !!!Magma!!![/quote]don’t forget the giant axe blades

The best trap was always rockfall traps. And bridges. And sinkholes.

And that exploit where you could hover a rock in midair to drop at your personal command and leisure.

I eventually switched to dropping minecarts on unwitting fools.

Bah. I love spamming cage traps. ;w;

Yer no dwarf… yer a MUNCHKIN!

But giving markdwarves a ton of defenseless goblin captives to play with is very dwarvenly. ;w;

It is. Theres the flip side of it, where you train meleedwarves and they are the Traps. :o

Cage traps are fine in moderation, but currently cheesey. I say currently despite not having played the new version, but enh.

If your fort doesnt have a Besmar

It aint right.

Well, as of DF2014 cage traps are still cheesy, but less practical. Enemies can climb, so the old mass pitting setup is no longer practical.

Anyway, to get us back on topic…if we had a pressure plate setup and a way for players to link them to things, I would be drooling at the potential. o3o

Just some gentle ribbing mate, nothing personal. My own playstyle does employ cagetraps, but restricts their use, along with some of the more exploitative uses of other devices. Automated training rooms are off-limits too - it’s simple enough to train up a military that I don’t see the need [for extensive trap use], and besides, I think it undermines the thrill that comes along with seeing your prized axedwarf squad surviving another round of combat. Some losses are to be expected.

That said, if all else fails, I’ll raise the bridges until I can come up with a better contingency. Not sure that’s ever really happened though. I can remember once or twice that it failed spectacularly: a tantruming dwarf dismantled the outer bridge in what can only be described as a “fall of Troy” moment.

It was something of a tangent, and I get what you’re saying - logic gates are fun as all hell. To what extent is Cataclysm, or at what point does Cataclysm become just another DF clone? Never was much into adventure-mode, mind you, which (frankly) Cataclysm does much better.

I do generally agree - more traps is good. I would especially like to see the aforementioned improvements made to tripwire traps. Is it a practical improvement to Cataclysm? I can see the horde ai / wander spawn logic has improved since last I’ve played. Is it at the point now where hordes present a credible threat to entrenched survivors? Is it fun?

Right. Still, I like the idea of JSONizing trap effects too. X3

Meh. theyre too obscure to rely upon currently.

Blades are hard to get early game, nailboards are weak, caltrops are aight I guess but by the time I gather enough nails and learn to make them Ive wasted oppurtunity to train melee. imo.

and chemicals are pretty midgame stuff for me.

also coughaletsplaycough
also Coughscience

plugs for the plug god

Plugs for the plug god, outlets for the outlet throne. o3o

I don’t think they would make good traps. Not with those beards.

Then the question to ask should be, “How can we make trapping a more viable path?”

I don’t think they would make good traps. Not with those beards.[/quote]

According to dwarven logic, they are. o3o

Okay, except for the fact that I’m fairly certain that DF female dwarves don’t have beards.

They dont. They have ‘fuzz’. Which males have too. The dwarves generate a layer of hair and then they gen any longer hair. not that it matters. most of that is aesthetic.

Gas traps. Trip a tripwire and it pops open a canister of something icky. Of course, it would be pretty effective against stuff that breathes, but even moreso when you set up a torch in range. Just wait for the gas to spread a bit, aaaaand…

BOOOM! Every window blows out in a plume of fire.

Gas traps that ignite on sources of flame. Good for subtle stuff, or good for bringing down a house and whatever was in it. Take your pick.