Removal of the random trap clusters

I think random clusters of traps should be removed along with the loot that spawns with them.

Reason 1
Trap clusters and loot are not realistic. I can’t see why someone would go to a random field, leave valuable food and ammo and set up a lot of mines and rigged shotguns around it, it just doesn’t make sense.

Reason 2
Provides players an easy source of crossbows and shotguns which should far harder to acquire.

I’m not saying we should remove traps in the game, however I think they should be used and placed more intelligently, ie large minefields surrounding military facilities, bears traps and spike pits spawning in forests if a cabin is nearby, shotgun traps rigged up in a person’s home.

It pains me to say it but I kinda have to agree, the random clusters of traps I suppose are supposed to illustrate a stash of someone’s stuff but I don’t know about you but I’d be more inclined to try and hide crap in a hole than throw it in the middle of a field and put a bunch of traps around it.

The trap clusters are supposed to indicate that people in future new england are assholes.

They will be removed only when a similar but more effective method of sending that message is introduced.

You’ve made good suggestions, but someone would need to implement that stuff first.

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:3, topic:3907”]The trap clusters are supposed to indicate that people in future new england are assholes.

They will be removed only when a similar but more effective method of sending that message is introduced.

You’ve made good suggestions, but someone would need to implement that stuff first.[/quote]
I thought the NPCs mugging me at every turn despite horrible odds served that purpose :stuck_out_tongue:

People here really, really hate inexperienced players, don’t they? Goddamn.

if it weren’t so damn easy to lure a mob of zombies into them…

Why do you think so? As far as this suggestion is concerned, I think it has nothing to do with inexperienced players, it’s just more realistic, which I support.

Why do you think so? As far as this suggestion is concerned, I think it has nothing to do with inexperienced players, it’s just more realistic, which I support.[/quote]

It’s “against inexperienced players” because the traps are very easy to spot with a perception above 9? I think. And then it’s easy loot. Usually fairly useful easy loot.

It’s just me, I guess. I’m an inexperienced players too and I don’t encounter trap frequent enough. Even if I do encounter them, most of the time I don’t really bother, maybe untrap 1 or 2 nailboard trap/beartrap and carry them with me, I often don’t have enough free space to afford bringing them all.

Early game they’re fairly useless to me as well (Mainly because I’m usually naked for the first 1 to 6 days) but late game it’s always nice to roll by a patch -o- traps and find a stockpile of canned goods that dwarfs what I have had in my vehicle.

They actually work as intented… I lost a foot when reaching for some bubblegum…

As far as I can tell, reason 1 could be solved simply by spawning a tent or shelter in the middle of trap clusters. Reason 2 seems to go out of its way to dick over new characters for no particular reason. it’s not like the dropped crossbows and shotguns are all that useful right off the bat.

Because it’s that hard to make wooden crossbow bolts. Admittedly the sawn-offs aren’t very useful but your tent solution still doesn’t solve the problem. These clusters of traps aren’t campsites, they’re traps it makes little sense to throw one out in the middle of a field then fill it up with useful loot. “But there’s the one that’s got garbage in the middle” At a glance you can tell it’s garbage and just move on.

As far as fucking over new characters is concerned when I first started playing it was more useful to find dead military/gangsters than it was to find a trap in a field because more often than not when attempting to disarm one of those crossbows or shotguns, I wound up with a crossbow bolt or shot in me.

This thread isn’t about fucking over new players. If I wanted to fuck over new players I’m pretty sure I could come up with something more believable than yanking the traps from the middle of a field. Spitss and I are just trying to point out that a cluster of traps with drugs, bullets, wood, or garbage in the center don’t make sense from a logic standpoint. The concept of a stash of loot, perhaps with a few traps inside, isn’t unreasonable, but a stash of loot in the middle of a field with a cluster of random traps around it doesn’t make sense.

If it’s about pointing out New England became New York somewhere along the line, stick a pressure activated mine under the stuff in the middle, have it go off when loot is removed, assuming the player didn’t disarm it.

Every attempt I have made early game to disarm a shotgun trap has resulted less than favorably. If they spawned inside buildings however they would make more sense, trap strewn house full of loot.

They also make it stupidly easy to kill hordes of zombies early on. Once i started with black road on and a massive trap field spawned right outside the shelter. All i had to do was run in circles around it and about thirty zombies later I had all the loot I’d need for weeks and a plethora of bear traps and crossbows. I actually suicided that charcter because it was too easy.

Mines on the roads make sense i guess, could be the military trying to stop people escaping. I support logical features over convience for new players.

I’ve never bothered trying to disarm a shotgun trap. Sometimes the crossbows, usually the beartraps unless it’s on a travel route.

Way I think of 'em, trap clusters are an Intro to Kiting. One might not realize that one can (or should) pull a zed over a bush, but “I’ll flee through that trap field! That’ll slow 'em down!” has saved a few early-game situations. From there, the idea that one can lure zeds into other situations comes easier.

I support this. Most players have their homes boarded up and/or armed with traps. If there were other survivor’s homes with boarded up windows and traps, that would give the trap clusters a suitable home.

Rookie, they said that little events, like boarded up houses and other things are planned, but i guess we will have to wait a lot.

Completely agree that they are an easy source of loot (and extremely useful shotguns/Xbows and steel bolts) and extremely useful for kiting Z’s with. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing - DCSS ended up taking a way a huge amount of ‘rewards’ and I think this damaged the game quite a lot. You need some ‘awesome, loads of stuff!’ moments to contrast of starvation and desolation.

However, they’d make a lot of thematic sense as trapped houses/buildings (or even as they are now, but only in towns). They just make no sense in the middle of empty fields - so much so that it almost looks like a glitch really.

I do. Fuck inexperienced players. Fuck them in their stupid asses. I hope they get chased by hulks and jabberwocks until they run into minefields. And if they survive, I hope they get food poisoning. Baptism by fire bitches. This isn’t smb, this is cataclysm. And sparta, this is definitely sparta.