Melee weapon mods

If we have laser guns, why theres no hi-tech melee weapons?
Vibro-blades, chainsaw swords, maybe molecular knives. (but no laser swords!)
What do you think about that?

[quote=“TaigaR, post:41, topic:1825”]If we have laser guns, why theres no hi-tech melee weapons?
Vibro-blades, chainsaw swords, maybe molecular knives. (but no laser swords!)
What do you think about that?[/quote]

Why are chainswords good, but laser swords bad? They’re equally ridiculous (and desirable).

I think craftable melee weapon mods, as described in the OP, are not a great idea. If you can craft it easily (they mostly don’t sound difficult), stick it on your weapon, and (mostly?) forget about it, it’s just a little dance you do when you get a new weapon, and another thing newbies have to learn. Gunmods are okay because you have to find most of them, and at one point you had to choose which ones to use in your limited gunmod slots.

Ted these are basic stat increases.

Now after they get added we can throw in some uber cool ones like a laser edge or hydraulics. Which wouldn’t be craft able.

The fact that it’s just basic stat increases for simple crafts is why I don’t like it.

In regards to “another thing newbies have to learn”, have you played any other roguelikes? Most roguelikes have a ton of stuff to learn, most of it not particularly relevant at all times.
You don’t have to mod your melee weapons, newbies don’t have to learn how to, they’re plenty effective right now, but it would be both plausible and awesome to do so.

The draw of many roguelikes is that you can keep learning new things, adapting new strategies, and dying in new hilariously horrific ways.

Most changes that are even slightly plausible to make to a melee weapon will not have dramatic changes in how said weapon is used.

We could either ignore all of those realistically plausible and useful, but minor, modifications in favor of more interesting and major modifications, or just do both.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:43, topic:1825”]Ted these are basic stat increases.

Now after they get added we can throw in some uber cool ones like a laser edge or hydraulics. Which wouldn’t be craft able.[/quote]

why add something that is a melee weapon that wouldn’t be craft-able? Add in something that doesn’t spawn anywhere but craft-able is better for higher end rewards in regards to crafting. (Makes sense for laser edge/Light Saber weapons using high crafting skills) or you can find them but they are rare like 5 rarity and can also craft them with a level 6-9 recipe.

Because it is fairly easy to get crafting skills up.

Now if it isn’t craft able it will be a lot more satisfying finding and applying one.

[quote=“Weyrling, post:45, topic:1825”]In regards to “another thing newbies have to learn”, have you played any other roguelikes? Most roguelikes have a ton of stuff to learn, most of it not particularly relevant at all times.
You don’t have to mod your melee weapons, newbies don’t have to learn how to, they’re plenty effective right now, but it would be both plausible and awesome to do so.[/quote]
It wouldn’t actually be awesome. It would be a boring obligation for people who know to do it, and a hindrance for people who don’t know that they’re supposed to, because balance would inevitably shift towards the assumption that you know to do it. No one benefits. Why add it?

[quote=“gtaguy, post:47, topic:1825”]Because it is fairly easy to get crafting skills up.

Now if it isn’t craft able it will be a lot more satisfying finding and applying one.[/quote]

You can make it hard to craft by using rarer materials or a recipe hidden in a book (or hard recipe+book) and it’s still a melee weapon no sense if you can’t custom craft it and out-power a gun.

First off I’d like to say that I’m not too enthused about any particular implementation suggested, just that I would like to see the ability to modify melee weapons more than “add nails to a board/bat”.

Metagaming is not obligatory, you don’t have to try to be amazing at everything possible, I can go months in game without even using a melee weapon, why would a highly effective modified weapon be obligatory?
Even modifying your guns isn’t obligatory (A basic SMG is highly effective with a little skill and ammo), neither is building a fortress, or crafting your own stuff, or becoming a cyborg/mutant, even using vehicles isn’t necessary.
You can live almost forever using a handful of bear traps, a longbow, and hand made tools.

Why have CBMs, or gun mods, or crafting, or construction? Obviously they’re just more things for people to learn, and a hindrance for people who don’t know how to properly utilize them.

I don’t ask why?, I ask why not?
(PS: “This is a waste of developer time” is a pretty good reason")

[quote=“Stevensonz, post:49, topic:1825”][quote=“gtaguy, post:47, topic:1825”]Because it is fairly easy to get crafting skills up.

Now if it isn’t craft able it will be a lot more satisfying finding and applying one.[/quote]

You can make it hard to craft by using rarer materials or a recipe hidden in a book (or hard recipe+book) and it’s still a melee weapon no sense if you can’t custom craft it and out-power a gun.[/quote]

Hmmm, no rare materials or book.

How about some semi-rare materials and a blueprint found on bodies of zombies or dead scientists or arm dudes.

I just want to be able to make my tools different for my different character builds.

Say I have a sledgehammer right? It takes forever to swing, so I would want to apply a carbon fibre handle to it so it swings faster. Say I have a machete that gets stuck all the time? So I would apply an improved grip to reduce the chance of losing it. Ect.

I want to be able to change up my melee weapon to fit my needs, not vice versa.

Because chainswords are posibly to build in the future (like plasma engines and power armor) and laser swords are simply impossible.
Laser swords could be replaced with molecular sword - it is believable.
Of course they should be extremely rare!

How is that an obligation, nobody is forcing you to do it. Balance is not a very meaningful word in a roguelike. If you don’t like a certain playstyle, conduct yourself accordingly. If you want to play like a munchkin, do so, if you don’t want to, then don’t, it’s that simple. And as for those who don’t know better, they’ll die, and they’ll learn; this is both expected and proper in a roguelike. Once they’ve learned, gamed the system, and had their fill of easy mode, they’ll conduct themselves accordingly.

Actually that’s a pretty bad reason. People work on what they want to see in the game. If they weren’t developing something other people think is stupid or overpowered, they might be developing nothing at all. It’s nobody’s time to waste but their own, after all.

I want chainswords. Made from a chainsaw, a UPS, and maybe some hardened plating? Runs on batteries.

Melee weapon mods guys.

I just wanted a cool way to upgrade melee weapons to fit your play style, not vice-versa.

Idea: Upgrade nano bots for melee weapons.
Experimental nano-machines that would have a UI where you could modify how you want the weapon to do.

Like slider bars, tab and arrow keys to change the values.
Weight (effects damage[and bashing if it had bashing damage before] and action points required)
0%-----0–100%
Sharpness (only applicable if it had cutting damage before, effects chance of getting suck [higher values increase this])
0%-0------100%
Handle length (multiplier to damage and action point cost)
0%----0—100%

That’s basically it for now.