Melee/force shields

I’m reminded of the katana in E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. Quite literally it used energy to generate a bullet shield, that ran out, and it could still be used like a melee weapon, including to parry. We already have A. UPS, B. Bionics, C. Bionically powered internal bullet shields, so option D. internally/externally powered bullet shield item seems a logical continuation.

To the fullest extent, it would allow melee characters to maybe have an annoying, but at least bullet-withstanding (if only enough for one or two enemies) defense. To a lesser extent, it could be used to run by turrets and things without turning into swiss cheese.

Or just some other similar but more restricted idea, EM scrambler (only works on bots), invisibility thing (smells/sound still get through so things would come looking for you). A fun graphical effect would be making the @ not render, cause, you know, invisible.

To balance it out a little, if it could hinder projectiles coming OUT of the shield, it would be hilarious and perfectly reasonable.

If it was a dropped and applied item, maybe it could be used as a temporary means of making impassable barriers, to either block an enemy following you, or to walk by a dangerous spot without your innards becoming your outtards.

Well i do think that we should be able to somehow take cover from fire by using objects or simply by lieing on the ground… however i don t think that theres a need for a bullet shield thingy… apart from maybe carrying a actual shield? But as far as i know of hand objects like shields where a no go?

Invisibility is a grey @ rather than white: artifacts and powered cloaks, and I think there’s a CBM too. Making you invisible to yourself is what we call an Interface Screw. EMP grenades and augs already exist.

And there’s a CBM that kinda provides an energy shield. Pre-cataclysm tech had it kinda-sorta able to block a bullet maybe–much better at melee or thrown attacks. Magic bullet-blocking katanas aren’t likely, though on a more genera katana note I’ve expressed theoretical support for kenjutsu being added as a weapon style.

I’d recommend a good MBR/superalloy vest or powered suit if you’re planning on getting shot at.

Wait, what happens if you push a non-see through peice of furniture into a turret as cover?

It probably either gets shot to splinters or the turret stops registering you as a target because it can’t see you.

They can’t acquire you as a target if they can’t see you. If you’re careful, an extra-light frame, a pipe, and a piece of sheet metal (or several) can be made into mobile cover. You can push said cover as long as the tile you’re trying to move into is not obstructed.

Like so:

[code]

#
 @[/code]

[quote=“Blaze, post:6, topic:7198”]They can’t acquire you as a target if they can’t see you. If you’re careful, an extra-light frame, a pipe, and a piece of sheet metal (or several) can be made into mobile cover. You can push said cover as long as the tile you’re trying to move into is not obstructed.

Like so:

[code]

#
 @[/code][/quote]

KA101 remembers the MTV scene from Toys

It gets me thinking of inFamous.

Well, the CBM for shield afaik is nearly drained in one step, two or three if you’ve stacked a lot of energy. From what I remember it sucked like 8 or 10 energy per bullet dodged, and since basic CBMs used to give 4, and a turret can fire like 5x easily, you’d have to have a lot of energy to manage it, which kinda made sense, but since it was one of the only serious defenses against turrets you didn’t explode at first sight, it was kind-of an end-gamey item

[quote=“pingpong, post:9, topic:7198”]Well, the CBM for shield afaik is nearly drained in one step, two or three if you’ve stacked a lot of energy. From what I remember it sucked like 8 or 10 energy per bullet dodged, and since basic CBMs used to give 4, and a turret can fire like 5x easily, you’d have to have a lot of energy to manage it, which kinda made sense, but since it was one of the only serious defenses against turrets you didn’t explode at first sight, it was kind-of an end-gamey item[/quote] go to lab now i have ower 700 000 energy

And now the shield costs 25x as much as it used to, as well.

well i on cloak cbm (what cost 50 energy per turn) can work when i sleep and i still wake up with some energy left only recharging this is hard i need to stand in sunlight and eat fire excuishers while i have metabolic interchange to recharge it little these new monster spam spawn allow to quickly get so many energy storage